The Pointing Thread

Thanks Martin, they seem confident they will race, but I've heard that before...

Jinny - thanks! Was there last year and it was thoroughly miserable! Been to Holnicote a number of times and I agree it's lovely. Hope to get there again this season fingers crossed.

Inspection at noon today for Ston Easton.

Benny - come and say hello at Holnicote if you make it - (its the second meeting there) - I will be the stressed out blonde with the Secretary badge on running around like a headless chicken pannicking that there aren't enough runners or paying public!

12:30
Sericina is a bit doggy these days and very unreliable IMHO, but she was back to winning ways last time out and should probably follow up here.

13:15
Expect to see money for the Barber horse Blue Buttons - it always comes for there's in this area. Tara Point was leading at the third last when he came down last time out and expect him to make amends here.

13:50
This should be a Quedillac vs. Jayo match really with preference for the latter who finished in front of Quedillac in a Hunter Chase at Wincanton a few weeks ago. Special Occasion has an outside chance if given a decent ride.

14:25
Mendip Express is the new star of pointing after his victory in the Coronation Gold Cup - he's unbeaten when completing but has bled in the past. Schindler's Prince is a useful adversary whilst I would say that Ned The Post has some chance if the fav bleeds as his form looks stronger since Offshore Account scored yesterday though he stays well he generally prefers better ground.

15:00
Cover Version here for me, broke his Maiden last season beating three time scorer since The Wealerdealer and though it's generally hard to win FTO in a Restrcited this doesn't look a great race.

15:35
Urban Hymn will be favourite here - expect Gospel Preacher to go well for his in form yard, he was disappointing LTO but he'd previously chased home the much improved Robin Will at Chipley last month. Miss Cupcake is a consistent sort who still held a chance when unseating last time out though she's finished third three times so probably needs one of the others to under perform to have a win chance.

Good luck and enjoy the racing :)

Anybody going to Kimble over Easter? I cant get there as should be in Mauritious. Should have a couple of runnners Good racing and fishing inj Mauritious and much warmer

Sadly won't be there Roddy but best of luck there, supposedly a lovely track :)

Will be at Charing on Holy Saturday if anyone is pointing - should have William Butler running but could do with a very timely rain free spell and 38 degree temperatures to dry the ground out.

Martin

Hope you enjoyed Ston Eaton if you went Benny - some good horses on display there though looks like Sericina has gone again :(

Sadly Kimble has been called off.

There's hope that a few of the postponed meetings will be re-arranged, hopefully for when the ground is quicker :)

Never been so cold on a racecourse!

Serecina run wasn't the best, but to be honest all the jocks behind were ridden to sleep by the winner - allowed way too much rope and was never going to be caught.

Mendip Express very impressive - never came off the bridle.

Jayo unlucky - left 15 lengths at the start, expended lots of energy getting on terms and finished a close up third.

Disappointing to see Barber's unseat in the maiden. Looked very well in the paddock.

All in all a good day, and a lot easier to say that now my feet and hands have finally thawed out!!

Last edited:
I did try to warn you! Mind you it wasn't as bad as Treborough a couple of weeks ago! We ran in a blizzard, unseated 4 out and then couldn't find the horse in the snowstorm! He was having a great time larking about amongst the horsebox park!

True - last year I had gone with the boss (we pulled out horse out at the last minute) and they decided to move the vehicle without telling me so I spent 45 mins walking round in the peeing rain trying to find them. Phone battery had died and I was drenched and frozen - and not happy!

He ran well the other day at Mollington in the bog down there Roddy - Horsham Lad is no slouch and Prince Massini is a solid horse for the Prichards.

Dare I suggest that if he keeps up this run of form he'd look very well handicapped for a return to chasing (assuming he takes to the bigger fences).

Martin

Good stuff Roddy - Fontwell will be a good night hopefully though disappointing it's not really in the SE area anymore when it's our Hunter Chase night but never mind.

Fingers crossed he can get his head in front at Mollington and hit the HC's on the back of a win.

Martin

Tommysteel is back on his favoured sound surface for his return to Hunter Chasing today. He has been well beaten in two heavy ground races including by Aintree winner Tartan Snow last month but he's been in better form between the flags since following up two good ground wins (one when left clear) with a very solid effort when filling the runner-up berth behind Buckstruther at Tranwell last time out. Contrast this with the favourite Special Portrait who's been disappointing in the main this season on his favoured soft ground and whilst the trip will be in his favour and he's run well enough on this ground before he looks likely to come up short again here and as such the evs (Bet365 and Victor Chandler) about Tommysteel beating Special Portrait is well worth taking and IMHO it will be more like 4/6 or 8/13 by the off.

Martin

Would it not just be worth having a pop off the 3's instead Martin? I can't see anything troubling the front two in the market.

I made it a 7/2 shot when I priced it up last night so if it drifts I'd be backing it. Took some 20/1 about Twelve Paces who's been running well between the flags and has a good jockey up in Callum Bewley but not a strong fancy.

Martin

Well done Roddy and a first winner for Tom Brocket on him too.

Good seeing Graysonscolumn at Dingley yesterday - lovely track even if they had maybe applied a little too much water.

Back