The Pointing Thread

Good racing as ever at Cheltenham tonight:

17:05
Rash Move a worthy favourite here but Noble Ben worth a small bet at 14's E/W. Been running well enough over trips that are really too far for him despite winning over them in his youth and won well in this race two years ago. He's up against a complete nut job in the shape of Marky Bob and given a clear round is pretty much a given from NB here 13/8 against Marky Bob in a match bet is worth taking.

17:40
The most competitive race of the night on paper with plenty coming into it on the back of solid seasons. Harbour Court has always been held in very high regard and was narrowly beaten by Woodview Prince at Whitfield in 2012 (WP was fav for his prior to being withdrawn on the day of the race and is unbeaten when completing in UK points) and he won easily on soft ground at Alan Hill's track at Kingston Blount in March. The quicker ground is a slight concern but at 7/2 he's worth a bet. Of the remainder Following Dreams has been impressive in his two starts and though the faster ground is a concern he doesn't deserve to be a 16/1 shot here.

18:10
I make Divine Intavention clear favourite here and though he ran out in the Lady Dudley Cup when last seen in action last month he has solid pointing and Hunter Chase form and whilst Coombe Hill is an admirable type IMO he lacks the class of the Mark Wall ridden DI. Trouble Digger is highly regarded by his trainer but ultimately needs softer ground and I can see him struggling badly here whilst I think that The General Lee is likely to go well at a decent price for Jane Williams. The Phil Rowley trained gelding was unlucky not to beat Rumbury Grey (best price 9/1 here) when they were placed behind Surenaga at Ludlow in March and I can see the pair reversing form with the grey.

18:45
Not a fan of Ravethebrave's jockey Joe Hill who although he gets on well with the horse wouldn't be the best jockey in this race whilst the horse has disappointed in a couple of Hunter Chases already this season. Doctor Kingsley won the Intermediate Final here last year and though he was no match for the likes of Salsify and Oscar Delta here in March there's nothing of that class in here. For that reason I'm backing Doctor Kingsley at 13/2 E/W and at 6/4 in a match bet with Ravethebrave (DK should be fav IMO).

19:20
Good mares race here and no surprise to see the money come for Lucette Annie who's the best horse in this race IMO and the unexposed and impressive thus far Fruit Fayre (more money likely to come should Forest Walker win the Intermediate Final). I've backed Lucette Annie at 3/1 and Fruit Fayre at evs in a match with the soon to be retired Mid Div And Creep (not the mare she was and reportedly having her last run tonight).

19:50
Front two in the market look the best horses in the race but 33's about Deb's Dasher is an insult for a horse who's going to improve for the better ground. The RP comments that he was in a different yard last year when winning at Stratford are slightly misleading as current trainer Kayley Jones is former trainer Richard Woollacott's fiance. He disappointed when last seen out over 3 1/2m at Trebudannon but had previously won his Members at Treborough Hill when making all. The step up to 4m 1f should suit him and he's well worth a tenner of anyone's money at 33/1.

20:20
Solid Ladies Hunter Chase to end the card and Taranis adds a touch of class to the race for jockey Alice Mills. I like the look of Benedictus who was travelling well when coming down in the Intermediate Final here last year and has the highly thought of Leanda Tickle in the saddle tonight. He's won a couple of Hunter Chases so far this season and this better ground looks sure to suit him. Palypso De Creek is much better on softer ground whilst the Jo Buck ridden Byerley Bear shouldn't be 16/1. I've had a decent bet on Benedictus at 11/2 and a smaller bet on Byerley Bear at 16's.

Thanks Martin, will print that out before I go so I can pretend I'm an expert to my buddies but of course if they lose I will tell then I just copied it off the net. :whistle:

Two good Hunter Chases today at Fakenham and Exeter:

Fakenham
Will be good to see Little Legend back and on a track that suits his front running style of racing (won at similar flat tracks such as Higham in the recent past) and he's a very worthy favourite. I wouldn't want to be taking 1/2 about him though as he can brush through one and has unseated very early on in points in the past when a prohibitively short price.

Would rather take a chance on Kriss William who was a classy horse on his day in France (Grade 2 winner as a 4yo) and runs for a yard that's been in good form of late. He was still in with a chance when capsizing mid-race here a few weeks ago in a point and he appeals more than Coral Point who was given a vintage Carey Williamson ride the same day and never looked like winning until approaching the last.

I've had a small bet at 13/2 on Kriss William here.

Exeter
King Of Alcatraz is an improving younster and far less exposed than many of these, would be surprised if they get within 5 lengths of him here.

Martin

What do you think of tomorrow's HC Martin? To my eyes Round Tom looks too short and Parkam Jack a bet each way at likely odds.

I'd have doubts about Round Tom's jumping over the big fences tbh and Parkam Jack's last run wouldn't be up to the form some of these have shown in the past whilst you'd be taking stamina on trust on that front also.

I'd personally have a small E/W bet on Prince Massini who's been running well without winning (bar a 2/7 victory in a match) so far this season and he should appreciate this extended 3m 2f here having run on well late over 3m 4f at Mollington last month behind Horsham Lad and Roddy's horse Quattrocento.

A waiting ride like Charly Prichard gave Bringinthebranston (it has to be seen to be believed) to win at Chaddesley Corbett in December wouldn't go amiss on him either.

Martin

This is becoming an enjoyable ritual.
BRILLIANT MARTIN! Thanks!
I took your comments re a waiting ride literally and kept picking up bits and pieces at up to 67, sold out at various single figure levels. Took a small amount from the w/o market and did very nicely on the ew/place front.
Running out of superlatives.

Glad to hear it TS - Charly is a good jockey tactically if a little weak in a finish at times but she'll get better with time and rides regularly for David Brace who wouldn't put her up if she couldn't do the job :)

Three Hunter Chases today and the weather looks likely to spoil the Wincanton affair - hard to see outside of the front two and Quedillac might well reverse form with Master Medic (made a bad mistake two out when beaten by MM at Larkhill in March) but both would have preferred the rain to stay away.

Master Medic given a good ride by Emily MacMahon to win at Wincanton.

Fancy the drop in trip to suit Moon Over Miami who was a very decent performer over shorter trips in his youth. Sadly he doesn't stay 3 miles and weakens quite badly once headed in that sphere. I don't know much about Mr D Holmes so taking a chance with him but he was third to two of the North's better pointers/hunter chasers in Buckstruthers and Tommysteel last time out at Tranwell and at 15/2 he looks a decent E/W bet against Marky Bob and Rash Move.

Martin

Master Medic given a good ride by Emily MacMahon to win at Wincanton.

Fancy the drop in trip to suit Moon Over Miami who was a very decent performer over shorter trips in his youth. Sadly he doesn't stay 3 miles and weakens quite badly once headed in that sphere. I don't know much about Mr D Holmes so taking a chance with him but he was third to two of the North's better pointers/hunter chasers in Buckstruthers and Tommysteel last time out at Tranwell and at 15/2 he looks a decent E/W bet against Marky Bob and Rash Move.

Martin

Thanks Martin top tipping as usual :adore:

Back