The Pointing Thread

Apparently that's where he's headed Luke - needs to win/place in another HC to qualify though I think.

Thanks Benny - hoping for more too :)

Martin

Great days pointing for us today - first two runners of the season and we start with a 16-1 winner (although if you were shrewd enough, you could have got 25s!). Nice horse called Justabout who came from Colin Tizzard - should have won first time out last season but he lost his jockey in a blizzard & she broke her ankle. Then he seemed to suffer most probably from ulcers (which hopefully I have sorted out through a new feeding regime). Anyway much happier horse this year which showed today - hes out of the wonderful Dubacilla.

Happy days!

Top work Kirsty!!

Regarding Quel Esprit you are indeed correct CL - his Hennessy win of Feb 2012 rules him out of Cheltenham, Aintree and Stratford until next season.

Apparently he was very impressive today - as was a friend of mines horse Warne up at Kirkistown yesterday and I'm pretty sure that Warne will gain compensation for his Aintree defeat last year in April.

Martin

Little Legend by far the most likely winner IMO - jockey rides him all the time so only issue is a slight concern on the jumping front.

Martin

Khyber Kim won again - thankfully for backers assistance from the saddle was not needed.

Glint Of Steel continued his risel up the ranks by taking a decent Club Members in terrible conditions.

Wymott got up late on to take the Mens Open - he looks like he'll be a nice staying pointer this season (poss for the 4m race at Cheltenham in May).

Start Royal back on track with an easy win in the Ladies

Not many getting round at Higham today - including our two who both pulled up. Left before the last as drenched :)

I don't know if he's being run in the Foxhunters but reported to be aimed at the Grand National.
As for the Foxhunters Chase, I can't see beyond On The Fringe.

Last edited:
The value is certainly in selling them that's for sure.

160k no value at all unless they're planning an audacious Foxhunters (where he's heading next) and Grand National double - think they'd be completely bonkers not to head to Aintree given he likes good ground and stays well.

Off to Enda's for Barry Connell though so EB may try and convince him to run it in banks races ;-)

Martin

Could anyone give me the heads-up on Liberty One, due to have his first run over timber tomorrow at Taunton? Cheers.

Last edited:
Nothing major as yet DG - will wait to see what is declared, there's quite a few coming up now though as horses look to get qualified for next month :)

Abbazagga won Confined Maiden at Dungarvan by a distance.
Owned by Dermot Kiely, a share holder in Apache Gold and trained by Nicky Kiely who pre trained Apache.
These lads are all related to Nicky Dee, one time p2p Champion in early 1980s.
You would know better than me Martin as to how Dungarvan Confined races rate.
Impressive jumper by newspaper report at any rate .#
Dr Phoenix, a winner at Bishopstown p2p last fall in training in UK and is due to run in next 2-3 weeks.

HC at Wincanton tomorrow - what's the score Martin?? Richards Sundance looks iffy to me, leaving Coombe Hill as the most likely winner.

Sorry EDGT only just seen this.

Confined Maiden's by nature aren't generally the best events due to them being restricted to horses qualified with certain hunts, normally those in the local area (for this particular event it's likely to be the Dungarvan Harriers, Waterford Foxhounds etc.).

Certainly can't fault the way that Abbazagga won the race coming easily clear of his rivals. He'd shown form on his previous outing too when close-up prior to falling so there's a possibility he could be up to winning under rules particularly given the last two outings are the only times he's encountered cut in the ground (well cut in the ground and been put in the race). The opposition weren't much good though, the runner-up had been tailed off in a bumper for a shrewd outfit locally and then pulled up in a maiden that probably wasn't a great affair given the winner had been for sale fairly cheaply in the weeks leading up to it. It will be interesting to see how he fairs in winners races if they go that route with him or if they try and get him handicapped for hurdling.

The trainer is local so there's every possibility that he's targeted this race with Abbazagga - the other solid run from him came at the Dungarvan Harriers other meeting back in November.

This was the meeting that Sean Boyce attended for ATR a couple of years ago FWIW, albeit held on a different track this year due to the Dungarvan course being unavailable.

As for today's Wincanton event it combines horses who are better on better ground, horses who like the ground but won't stay and horses that IMO look gone at the game so here goes:

Coombe Hill - runner-up in this in 2013. Course and distance winner but that did come on better ground though he does handle cut. Contrary to reports he does not have a new trainer for this, Charlotte Tizzard got married during the Summer and as such is now Mrs Charlotte Fear.

Richards Sundance - yard out of form and drops into a HC for the first time here. Yard ran Randjo in HC's last year IIRC and he looks devoid these days so slightly concerned the horse has had an injury but at least he'll handle the ground.

Martys Mission - will love the ground and connections are keen to avoid fast ground with him given they aborted one trip to Cottenham in early December with him. Trip looks a bit on the long side for him (didn't appear to get home at Sandown) though he will love the ground.

Seigneur Des Bois - ran better than I expected him to at Newbury, will stay the trip and the ground shouldn't be too much of an issue but think he lacks the class for a race of this nature.

Gosser Time - only won the once and only third in what looked a decent Restricted LTO. Takes a step up in grade here though and the ground looks to be against him too.

Minella Theatre - looks undepriced to me, priced up on connections. Sole success on soft came in a selling hurdle and though he appeared to stay well enough over 3m4f that was on fast ground - ground against him also.

Shy John - has won on "dead" ground but generally struggles on soft or heavy and they were calling for the lifeboat at Lingfield last February. One of the better pointers in this and progressive but he needs to travel and he's unlikely to be able to do that on this ground.

Looks race to avoid like the plague - may be a match bet on value grounds if anyone prices up Martys Mission vs. Minella Theatre.

Back