The Pointing Thread

Think Quantitativeeasing is the one to take out of that Open given he wasn't put in the race - doesn't look like he's deteriorated at all this Autumn/Winter, unlike Pandorama who at his best would have carried Burren River.

Didn't know that about Lord Noelie - hoping the confined maidens this year aren't too bad as I have friends who've bought two from a similar event at Dromahane last month.

Martin

Decent hunter chase at Wetherby today. To my untrained eye Doctor Kingsley looks a bit of value against the front two in the betting, but I'm hoping Martin will give us the winner!

If I had to back one it would be Doctor Kingsley E/W - won well enough at Ampton the other week though may need a stiffer test of stamina than 3m1f around here.

Sadly it looks another "no bet" race :(

Martin

Walden looks the value here upped in trip - 3m3f should suit him and has a decent jockey up with the yard having won Hunter Chases here in the past. Steps up in grade but has the ground to suit and any more rain would help also.

Walden was available at 10/1 but was outbattled by the 14yo That's Rhythm under a cracking Page Fuller ride - she's a very very good young pilot and hopefully gets more outside rides.

Think Walden is still one to keep an eye on in Irish HC's and as has been mentioned elsewhere he could be one for the 3m4f Novice HC at Stratford in June.

That's Rhythm looks sure to pay his way for connections and a trip back to Bangor should pay yet more dividends as and when it comes. PF has done well since getting on board and they're now 3 from 3 together.

Of the others the rules horses ran as I'd expected them too - the John Ferguson horse being the obvious exception given he fell too early on to tell and I'd expect Special Portrait to be up to winning a 3m2f++ Hunter Chase on good ground in the coming months, connections would be mad not to target the Cheltenham 4 mile event in May.

Not a lot else to say on the pointing scene at the moment - David Kemp suffered a very heavy fall at North Carlton today so hope he's ok and Berties Dream won again at the same track, he's now two from three in the UK for Lauren Braithwaite and that should get him into the Foxhunters at Cheltenham now.

The Racing Plus has a good p2p section too which is well worth checking out on a Saturday :)

Martin

Last edited:
Bought Racing Plus earlier in the season and the trainer was raving about Nineteith Minute. Is he still doing well?

Berties Dream now that's a blast from the past. Might add him to my ante post bets to include in e/w speciality bets.

The trainer would rave about Quixall Crossett in the Gold Cup if he trained it.

Joe O'Shea is undoubtedly a good trainer but he seriously overrates a lot of his horses and has a habit of getting rid of jockey's for no genuine reason IMHO. Unsure exactly how many Joe has in but off-hand it'd be around 5 or 6 I think including dual winner Executive Benefit, Cottage Oak (very very disappointing this season), Ninetieth Minute, King Fontaine and Howryougoingon and thus far he's used Gina Andrews (jocked off after CO ran flat at Barbury FTO), Emma Todd (won on Howareyougoingon and fell off KF today), Lutie Akinci (on Howareyougoingon at Cocklebarrow) and Paddy Gerety on most of his other horses.

Chances that PG chose to get off King Fontaine today to ride Special Portrait but hearing rumours that O'Shea won't be using PG again so that would leave him with nearly as many jockeys as horses.

FWIW the stable thought that King Fontaine would have won today had he not fallen as a 14yo wouldn't have beaten him but that's their own view of the race and I would doubt he'd have been good enough personally.

Ninetieth Minute finished third in a Mens Open under Gerety at Friars Haugh up in Scotland last week. He was beaten three lengths by Moscow Menace who won a decent Maiden HC at Kelso for his shrewd young trainer Katie Scott last season. I had MM in at 16's prior to him being withdrawn from today's contest and I'd struggle to see any of today's runners making a huge impact at Cheltenham - TR could run into a place but they'd have it to do against Salsify, Mossey Joe and Harbour Court IMHO.

Berties Dream is doing very well indeed but personally I'm not sure he's one for the bigger park fences - he seemed to struggle over them in Ireland but we'll see as he seems revitalised now he's at Lauren Braithwaite's.

Classinaglass should take all the beating in this - very worthy favourite but think the value is with Nowurhurlin at 11/1 with Stan James.

He's still only a youngster and has twice run well in Ladies Open events at Cottenham, he has his stamina to prove (Cottenham is one of the sub-three mile tracks) but has the excellent Emma Todd in the saddle and has run well on heavy ground before.

Martin

Sorry lads, only just seen this.

For what it's worth I'd have sided with Made In Time though the e/w bets looked less attractive as the day wore on.

Pearlysteps would have a squeak if it came up like a bog - think that The General Lee will go close in another HC at Ludlow when the ground firms up a bit.

Tomorrow's race (assuming Pearlysteps doesn't go) will be a match race between two relatively inexperienced jockeys and two very decent horses.

A slow pace will certainly suit Brunswick Gold more and he won a hot enough race at Cottenham on his pointing debut under Stuart Robinson at the end of December while Gunmoney who has won over as far as 3m4f and had looked an out and out stayer prior to Towcester's front running effort has John Russell in the saddle again. I and indeed many other seasoned observers put Gunmoney's improved form last season down to the injury that Russell suffered early on and him being replaced by Johnny Bailey in the saddle and for that reason more than many I'll have to side with Rose Grissell's horse.

Last edited:
You would have had some sweat in that race today no matter who you backed Martin! Both Horses traded at 1.05 ish before the betting flip flopped again at the very end.... Didn't see it but the RP commentary was as animated as it gets for a 2 horse race!!

final fence
Gunmoney leads
Gunmoney drawing clear
Brunswick Gold found little
Gunmoney drawing clear
Brunswick Gold & Gunmoney walking
Gunmoney pulling himself up
Brunswick Gold making headway
Brunswick Gold & Gunmoney all out
Brunswick Gold gets back up - amazing race

Back