The Pointing Thread

I drove past a couple of Point to Points last Sunday on the way to the seaside. One in Petworth and the other near Arundel. Has anyone been to these?

Good call Benny!!

No idea which those would be tbh SC - both aren't a million miles away from Parham (which is next to the gliding club near enough in Storrington). Lovely course with a few houses in the middle (or rather a cottage or two), big open backstraight and relatively tight bend from 3 out to the finishing straight - it pays to be on the inside IMHO.

Martin

Mr Lingo, a Curtain Time 4 year old half brother to Bob Lingo won the 4yo maiden at Dromahane last Sunday in some style.
One for the future as he a big loose athletic horse yet to fill out and jumped the last like a fresh horse.
More to come hopefully.
Forgot To Ask, locally owned by a group and trained by Louis Archdeacon to place in a few p2ps won his debut bumper at Chepstow last Saturday for Tom George.
Another for the note books.

Cheers Eddie - will make a note of those.

Hidden Drifter who I'm told was placed in a couple of schooling bumpers in Ireland broke her maiden in a four runner maiden contest over 2m4f at Godstone on Sunday. Love this mare and she's getting better with racing and needs 3m++ to be seen at her best IMHO (I'm very biased mind). She had the exceptional Shane Roche in the saddle too, shame he's so tall as he's a cracking jockey and would be great value as a conditional.

Hoping for our trainer's second win in a week when Ididandididn't runs on Saturday.

Martin

If anyone over this side of the pond happens to be at the Ballymacad meet on Sunday I'll be one of the muppets who thinks pointing side saddle in the last race to qualify for the Diana's of the Chase is a good idea. Currently questioning my own sanity.

If anyone over this side of the pond happens to be at the Ballymacad meet on Sunday I'll be one of the muppets who thinks pointing side saddle in the last race to qualify for the Diana's of the Chase is a good idea. Currently questioning my own sanity.

Seriously having learnt to ride side saddle, all I can think is "Wow!" Very brave of you but we'll expect photos!

Mr Lingo, a Curtain Time 4 year old half brother to Bob Lingo won the 4yo maiden at Dromahane last Sunday in some style.
One for the future as he a big loose athletic horse yet to fill out and jumped the last like a fresh horse.
More to come hopefully.
Forgot To Ask, locally owned by a group and trained by Louis Archdeacon to place in a few p2ps won his debut bumper at Chepstow last Saturday for Tom George.
Another for the note books.

One I saw recently was a 5yo making its racecourse debut for trainer Jack Barber. Called Cereal Killer, it walked into the paddock and I thought, right go and back it immediately! And it won very, very nicely. Very slick jumping and the jockey (Will Biddick) struggled to pull it up, it won with that much in hand. I guess it will go to Paul Nicholls at some stage.

Good luck, certainly has a big chance but slight concern the jockey is having her first ride over regulation fences here.

We run Ididandididn't in the Open Maiden in about 5 minutes time at Charing. Hoping for a good run with Oz Wedmore up, ground should suit him anyway but looks a competitive race for this time of year.

Martin

Good luck, certainly has a big chance but slight concern the jockey is having her first ride over regulation fences here.

We run Ididandididn't in the Open Maiden in about 5 minutes time at Charing. Hoping for a good run with Oz Wedmore up, ground should suit him anyway but looks a competitive race for this time of year.

Martin

How did you do?

Beaten about 2L into third in a five horse race. Plenty of ability there just outpaced 2/3 out and stayed on again late - hopefully will get another run into him in May maybe but we'll see how he comes out of this.

Martin

Sounds promising Martin.

Any view on Fakenham today? Small field but a competitive race. Quite like the chances of last year's winner Mr Madeit.

Good horse, moderate jockey - recipe for the poorhouse sadly.

Think Master Workman is a big price still at 7's for the second HC with a top jockey up once more.

Hoping Sam Davies-Thomas rides Galway Jack with a little bit more restraint than Tom McLorey has in his three Hunter Chase runs so far at Southwell tonight. Decade Player is likely to scorch off in front under Tabby Worsley and I know the trainer has been trying to get a run into Knocklong for a while now so he's probably not 100% (or as 100% as he could be).

Galway Jack the bet later @ 7/4 or bigger.

Martin

Hoping Sam Davies-Thomas rides Galway Jack with a little bit more restraint than Tom McLorey has in his three Hunter Chase runs so far at Southwell tonight. Decade Player is likely to scorch off in front under Tabby Worsley and I know the trainer has been trying to get a run into Knocklong for a while now so he's probably not 100% (or as 100% as he could be).

Galway Jack the bet later @ 7/4 or bigger.

Martin
What a strange race that was.... As you predicted DP went scorching off in front. Galway Jack then traded very short in running and seemed to be cruising while knocklong was working hard in behind. Then the Jockey on GJ just seemed to sit there and do nothing when Knocklong came upsides initially and quickly passed him. I felt he was extremely slow to react to the move and should have got to work on GJ a lot sooner. Was it very poor Jockeyship or was Knocklong just going to win regardless?

I don't think GJ had anything left to be fair - wouldn't surprise me if he had a wind problem of some sort.

Think Knocklong was going to win and I just called it completely wrong on that score - Knocklong is a v v v good pointer with a top yard (ridiculous win % in p2p's - something in the high 70's I think). Will be worth keeping an eye on Knocklong for Cheltenham and Stratford later this season, also Decade Player when he tackles 2m at Stratford will probably go well again (won it last year) but would prefer to see Dale Peters back in the saddle on him (Dale was at Cheltenham sales on Thursday IIRC and sold something he and his partner had bought for £600 last year for £30k so wouldn't be surprised if they were still celebrating).

Martin

Back