The Pointing Thread

Just one horse in the way of a tasty forecast there.

Any thoughts on today's races? Cave Hunter will like the ground and might be able to overturn the favourite Ardea at Hexham. No opinion on the Ludlow race.

Sadly we don't have the usual ricks associated with this meeting but a few bets for starters:

17:40
Carry On Asian @ 12/1
Feel this horse has far more to offer than he's shown so far. His form figures of UP21UU for this yard aren't exactly inspiring but it's worth noting that he's had his owner in the saddle for all bar one of those starts, the one time she was absent is when today's jockey Tabby Worsley was in the saddle for an Intermediate victory at Penshurst in March. He has some fair form in Ireland and the trip and ground should suit.

18:10
Kristian Gray @ 20/1
Torn between a couple in this but this horse was running well in hunter chases earlier in the season winning a Maiden at Leicester and then finishing third behind one of the best Open horses of recent years Arthur's Secret at Stratford in March. His last run was a touch disappointing but he looks a big price in this company, Alskamatic is the one to beat here for me and A goes well fresh.

18:45
Curraigflemens @ 33/1
Has done most of his racing in the weakish East Anglia area but won last time out over 2m4f at Dingley and was runner-up to dual Hunter Chase winner Mr Raj the time before. Shane Roche will be as good in the saddle as almost anyone riding tonight (SDT the possible exception) and won a maiden HC at Fontwell last season. The favourite is obviously likely to be hard to beat but that latest Cheltenham run from him is a huge career best.

19:50
One Conemara @ 16/1
Yorkshire raider who's been in good form this season defeating dour stayer and subsequent winner (also HC placed) Monsieur Jourdain at Sheriff Hutton a month ago. Won three times over 3m5f and also over 4m1f in p2p's though finished a well beaten 5th when fancied for this race last year. Looks a very big price here with some of these looking doubtful stayers, most notably Dolatulo who I'll be laying in the place market.

I'm blasting out on Poole Master in the last or its the sperm bank and the blood bank in the morning.

I was hoping to splash out on a new pair of trainers...

Anyway, it takes cojones to put up four longshots. I'd much rather see that than the odds-on shots so often proffered as bold selections.

Respect, martin, even if nowt came of them this time.

Poole Master's jockey saved the worst ride of the day for the last. Imagine relying on that lad to land €4.5k

Can't quite believe I talked myself out of backing Frelia! She won so easily locally in January but I thought the ground may not suit �� what do I know!!!

Apologies all - if you need an excuse I had my third ever nose bleed today (all three in the past 3 years) so you can probably put me down as a BBV for today.

Martin

Back