The Queen Anne

We know that paco boy likes to be ridden to use his speed but why ask the horse to make so much ground on an animal as good as goldikova surely to goodness he could sit closer to her it may well be she would find more,but cant help feeling paco boy did not get best of rides.

The timing of these late finished must be incredibly difficult, but i reckon slightly better timing would have won that race for PB

They appear to have both run below their best - suggests that both rides were sub-optimal. Even off a soft pace you'd probably expect them to beat Dream Eater by further. Cracking entertainment though.

My thoughts on the race & time are that Goldikova took it up relatively early, and may have done a little bit too much too soon. With this in mind, and Paco Boy held up, his finishing surge was greatly 'exaggerated' due to his having expanded much less energy than the mare. Hopefully they'll meet again, and hopefully people see Paco Boy as unlucky.

Frankly, that strikes me as nonsense Goldikova's most impressive performance of her career when she was ridden exactly like that .Peslier gave her the perfect ride.

It is hardly surprising Paco's effort plateaued at the end after the enormous effort he made to catch her . I am standing on a line with the half furlong pole and he was still a length and a half down

And I backed Goldikova !!!

Last edited:
Ardross, you couldn't have seen the Marois if you think that's her most impressive performance.

With this in mind, and Paco Boy held up, his finishing surge was greatly 'exaggerated' due to his having expanded much less energy

Yes, but many very decent horses would still never have the change of gear shown by PB regardless of circumstances. If, as Cantoris pointed out, he was pulling a bit early on, thenm energy etc was lost then too

I thought he had improved from last year and now im certain of it.

v

Yes, you're absolutely right, and I should have stressed more what a great run it was from Paco Boy as well.

I think the mare is something very special and think it fantastic her owners, who have received little press, have kept her in training so long (relatively speaking).

I am definitely going to Deauville!

She was spectacular in the marois . Her Breeders Cip wins were excellent but not as impressive .

Where did Rvw finish he looked as if he would be tightened up a lot by the race when he came by

Of the beaten horses...

Paco Boy's trainer Richard Hannon said: “He didn’t get the greatest passage in the world. The winner took a bit out of us when she kicked. In a few more strides he’d have got there.

“They were three-and-a-half lengths clear of the third which shows what two very good horses they are.”
Johnny Murtagh said of the disappointing Rip Van Winkle, who finished sixth: "He got tired. They quickened up by him and he was just able to stay on.
"He gave a bigheave a furlong out and that was him done. Our horses are coming on so much for their first runs and they seem to be fitter at home than they probably are."

Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager to Khalid Abdullah, whose Zacinto finished fourth, said: "That was a much better run - he's back on track but probably wants a bit further."

Yes, but many very decent horses would still never have the change of gear shown by PB regardless of circumstances.
If Goldikova was not in the race, would we have seen PB win as expected. Pulling away from an ordinary Group 1 field (without Goldikova and RVW running way below form)?? I'm not a flat person, so don't know the form of the others very well.

Basically Csntoris, added with a "needed the run" RVW, he would still have his knockers if the filly was not in the race.

That's 3 disappointing runs from Rip in a row now, for all that 1 of them included winning the QE2! I think there could well be a big performance in him, but I think it most likely is at 1m2 Eclipse next? He could even do that and the Sussex like last season.

Hannon said of Paco Boy: "He didn't really get the luck in running - Richard (Hughes) wanted to go up the inner but the pacemaker wasn't coming back.

What pacemaker?!

Secondly, it wasn't anything to do with luck.

Just watched it again on getting home- a great big gap opened up between RVW and Zacinto - why did he not go there - Trying to make up three and a half lengths on Goldikova in a final furlong is a nigh on impossible task.

Jockey error lost the horse the chance of winning the race - OK had he got to her 50 yds out what might she have found - who knows - but he never had a chance from that far back .

I think it was a combination of Goldikova going too early and idling, rather than tiring. Paco Boy got close but I also thought Goldikova was starting to edge away again close home.

Lines through Dream Eater suggest Paco Boy has run close to form so others must have under-performed for whatever reason but I didn't think Lemaire shone either here or - particularly - in the SJP.

That 100/30 a couple of weeks ago looked very big at one point yesterday.

Just because she didn't idle before doesn't mean she didn't idle yesterday nor will in the future.

Back