The Random Rant Thread 2010

Yes, I know your not having a go but your expertise and aggresive passion of english is quite a turn on. I could picture you with a whip watching over my shoulder as I type... On a seperate rant - I hate people who are so clever and can type long replies in an instant...

Last edited:
Having a rant about something or someone and thinking one will feel better afterwards, and one doesn't, and the thing or person one rants about, stays the same as before the rant.

Last edited:
I have to give you 10/10 for taking a joke the way it was intended, people who get easily offened get on my tits.

Krizon, when refering to the BBC, surely "It has undertaken" (past tense), rather than "It's undertaken" (present tense) - which is grammaticalloidally correct?

"It's" does for "it has" (past) as well as "it is" (present), as in "it's been a dreadful day" (it has been a dreadful day) or "it's worthwhile seeing Munster play" (it is worthwhile, etc.). So "it's" is fine to use for either, depending on the sense of time you wish to convey.

No, no, don't thank me - it's been a pleasure! :lol:

Last edited:
OK - you have officaly wrecked my head. Stick ynur Queens english up your hole.

That should be 'officially', 'your', 'Queen's', and 'English' up your hole, dear child. Thank you for so graciously underlining my point... :p

"It's" does for "it has" (past) as well as "it is" (present), as in "it's been a dreadful day" (it has been a dreadful day) or "it's worthwhile seeing Munster play" (it is worthwhile, etc.). So "it's" is fine to use for either, depending on the sense of time you wish to convey.

I'd go along with this but I'm not sure I like the way they BBC has recently extended this to all subject nouns, eg in their rolling text (I don't know the technical term :confused:) across the bottom of the News 24 channel, they'll often say things like, "A man's been injured..." "Rain's stopped play..."

Technically, they're maybe right but I'd rather see the full verb in those circumstances. It's formal English, not a conversation, after all.

And that was an observation and an opinion, not a rant.

You'd assume wrongly!

DO: yes, I'd prefer formal English for the national broadcaster's pronouncements, too. There are millions of people who watch the BBC whose first language isn't English, and lots of abbreviations are quite difficult for many of them to comprehend. I think the Beeb has a duty beyond the mere conveyance of information, and that's to present the simplest and clearest possible standards in both spoken and written presentations. They are, after all, our televisual flag-bearer, and should take pride in their efforts, rather than make any ill-conceived attempts to be 'on trend' by cutting corners. As for the ITV stuff - talk about dumbing down! Often very flimsy notions of what counts as 'news', and there's a lot of sentimentalising by presenters about certain stories, which is not what I consider professional presentation.

People talking about the cold is getting on my shaven tits. I was at the urinal and rather than comparing sizes (I would have won) the two gents next to me were bragging about who had been out in the coldest weather today. How boring.

You should've turned to them as if to take a keen interest, lending them the benefit of a nice warm shower.

Back