The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

Relax grassy. the horse is fine. :)

...my worry is that there may not be anything specifically wrong with him, but at the moment, at any rate, there doesn't seem a lot that is right. Even if Mullins said all is going to plan with any enthusiasm we'd be reassured... but he's not doing that either. His price is skinny for a horse we may not see this year (...hopefully okay later in season).

From Twitter: Paddy sd: "We just cant lay 'The Fly' while weve seen a lot of dough for Thousand Stars including a large cash bet from a connected punter."

Looks like the Fly isn't running from the market.

Got to be Thousand Stars at the prices and likelihood of HF appearing over Christmas. I can see HF having one blow out in early 2012, possibly Champion Trial in Gowran, and winning the Champion Hurdle.

I'm all over Thousand Stars at the prices. How would you price it up w/o HF?

Last edited:
9/4 Rock on Ruby against the pig that is Binocular at 7/4 - Overturn has had more outings than Del Boys's Wetherspoons loyalty card.....:whistle:

I just couldn't have him Steve....but there's a few on here who reckon I'm gone at the game.

Has lacked sparkle in some of his appearances admittedly and has suffered muscle enzyme problems, etc at certain stages of his career, but I don't know about "gone". He has sprung back (in excellent style) after disappointing in the FF before and may well do so again.

http://www.racingpost.com/media/media_centre.sd?view=rp&media_id=23191&mcTabs=mcVideo

http://www.racingpost.com/media/media_centre.sd?view=rp&media_id=23201&mcTabs=mcVideo

Last edited:
The information I got during the week was that Moon Dice was going to Thurles-however a real doubt about HF running forced them into running at Leopardstown despite concerns over the ground.
The brother had a nice each way bet at20s betting betting was suspended but I think I will wait and see.

Paddy Power has suspended betting.

Speaking on Tuesday, Mullins said: "Hurricane Fly is left in the Istabraq Festival Hurdle. We've also left in Thousand Stars and I've really nothing more to say at this stage."

And the trainer reiterated his position on Wednesday. He said: "As I said yesterday, I'm not saying anything until I am ready to run him. Paddy Power can do what they like. I won't talk about him until then."
Hurricane Fly can be backed at 9-4 for the Champion Hurdle with sponsors Stan James and Sportingbet.

...:(

There's a simple solution to this. Don't ever bet on these markets. Mullins is fully entitled to take the Paddy Powers can do what they like stance in this instance.

Mullins is fully entitled to take the Paddy Powers can do what they like stance in this instance.

I agree, but Hurricane Fly is the Champion Hurdler and a public horse, and Mullins isn't doing himself any favours with this smoke-and-mirrors bollocks.

The horse is clearly a delicate specimen. WM has one main responsibility, to the horse and the owners. Anyone backing ante post on HF needs their head examined.

I do agree but what is there to say? He's in brilliant form? and a week later something goes wrong and you're the bad guy. Some trainers prefer not to put their heads on the chopping block so they say as little as possible.

I'm not worried because I backed him AP last year but this year I've moved ship, but I can understand the frustration of anyone who has.

I would however remind you that the horse is now Champion and that takes president over everything else.

He wouldn't want to be running him every other week now he knows that if he gets him to Cheltenham in one peice the chances are very good he can win the race again.

The sensible thing to do is give him 1 run if even that and straight to Cheltenham. You reduce chance of injury and don't forget this man can get them spot on without a run.

Last season was different so he struckwhile the iron was hot and hoped he'd make it this year he'll want to make damn sure he does.

The horse is "under-trained". Mullins has stated in the past that the horse can injure himself during training coz he tries too hard. So he only ever does half work. I'd imagine he's just taking his time getting him right. I have no concern re Champion Hurdle...and in many ways i hope he gets pulled from this race and then some mug goes 4/1 again.

...It's an understatement to say that Mullins isn't giving much away about his prospects of getting to the Champion... I'd be worried... 2/1 all in is a crazy price. 4/1 with a run would interest me though.

I can't back Binocular at these prices, way too in and out for me. I think Overturn must fall in consistency after all these races at some point, so have backed the other 3 (much the biggest stake on Rock on Ruby, and combination forecasts on the 3 of them).

why does Ruby slow horses down coming to the last? Would have won if he had ridden him into that like he did every other fence.

Back