The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

When is SS due on the track?

From end of January. Even if you fancy Hurricane Fly, he's worth a few quid at the prices. I really like Grandouet, but he's behind HF and SS, and I don't like Zarkander at all (he didn't beat the Grandouet of this season). If Hurricane Fly lines up, I'd cover with him.

Binocular isn't up to placing in a Champion Hurdle anymore and looks a bit of a hound (even though he won).

Binocular hates Kempton and that today was clearer than ever. He never really had a chance to relax in the race but showed grit and determination to still win.

The front 2 have pulled miles clear of Overturn and had it been round Chelteham today both would have benefitted much morse than Overturn would and he'd have been beaten twice as far.

I know AP wasn't all that complimentary about his performance but he's got Grandouet on the brain :lol:

This race was very similar to his race at Kempton in the Adonis when he beat another Nichols trained horse Pierrot Lunaire. Fitz had said he was working so well he would win with his head in his chest but like today he was off the bridle for the entire race winning by just over 1 length.

It's the course not Binocular and Nicky Henderson has said so several times in the past it really doesn't suit him.

AP is being a little bit harsh and not allowing for that when he said he didn't give him the same feel because Fitz said the exact same thing after he ran at Kempton that day.

I'm not saying he's going to win another Champion Hurdle but that was a first rate performance and rather than dissing Binocular I'd be more inclined to praise Rock on Ruby who is improving every time he runs and looks areal threat to all in the Champion Hurdle proper except Grandouet who will win it on the bridle.

Give me a minute to I get my tongue out of my cheek and I'll tell you another story:rolleyes:

I do think AP would love to ride Grandouet in the Champion Hurdle but you can bet Barry Geharty has already decided he will in preference to Spirit Son.

why does Ruby slow horses down coming to the last? Would have won if he had ridden him into that like he did every other fence.

Thought he would have won if he flew the last - got it wrong - lost half a lenght - that was the difference for me - pocket talking caveat there though..:whistle:

Me fancying Grandouet is a personal choice and nothing more. I just couldn't belive just how easily he was going to dispose of Celestial Halo before he stepped at his hurdle and came down. The big draw back is his age and not many horses no matter how good they look before the race are man enough to cope with the sudden pace changes and still be there when it matters.

Make no mistake Nicky Henderson is firmly in the Spirit Son camp and he's his number 1 to win the race despite not having had a run.

I've got a small fortune coming if Grandouet does win but I'm not exuding confidence other than to say he'll run a cracker it'll take a real good horse to beat him and more will finish behind than in front.

Hurricane Fly remains the one to beat although this does look a far better renwal than last year but they always do until after the new year.

Last edited:
More like it from Binocular, but still short of Champion form. Hurricane out to 5/2 for the Champion.

I'm on the Henderson trio with weighting biased for Spirit Son (still no suggestion from the yard that anything is amiss).

He didn't win the supreme though after being so fresh

He didn't win the Supreme as he was a bit of a baby last year - remember, that was only his fourth ever run. He was much more streetwise at Aintree and should come on even more this year (even though not much more needed than a repeat of his Aintree run).

"He's grand and Paul Townend rode him out this morning," Mullins said on Wednesday afternoon.

"I just wasn't happy that he was straight enough to do himself justice.

"He's fit and well but he just hasn't worked well enough to run tomorrow.

"He worked against Thousand Stars on the Curragh last week over a mile and two furlongs and he needed it badly. After that I wasn't happy I had him in order.

"I told the owners that I wasn't happy with him and there was a chance he wouldn't run tomorrow. I left him in and decided to make a decision late on.

"As I've said before, he'll run when he's ready and not before.

"I want to get a run into him before Cheltenham."

Mullins suggested Hurricane Fly could have a racecourse gallop, while his next serious option could be the Irish Champion Hurdle on January 29.

Hurricane Fly (5/2) , Grandouet (6) , Spirit Son (10) , Zarkandar (10) , Binocular (12) , Rock On Ruby (12) , Unaccompanied (16) , Oscar Whisky (20) , Thousand Stars (20) , Oscars Well (25) , Overturn (25) , Zaidpour (25)

Unaccompanied will surely go for the Mares? Either way he'll ride TS. He works for Mullins does he not?

Unaccompanied will surely go for the Mares? Either way he'll ride TS. He works for Mullins does he not?

Moyglare would be entitled to consider the champion with her. She is just 4. If HF doesn't make it, they will never get a better chance.

Townend does work for Mullins, but i'm not sure Mullins would prevent him from riding the mare if he really wanted to. I could be wrong on that mind

Back