The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

...it would be a disappointment if he can't bounce back to something like his true form. The reports are encouraging from trainer and rider at least.

Overturn and Celestial Halo would be decent enough yardsticks, if lining up.

Last edited:
What are the chances of a decent horse coming off the flat and being given a Champion Hurdle campaign-the only one I can think of is Casual Conquest.

What are the chances of a decent horse coming off the flat and being given a Champion Hurdle campaign-the only one I can think of is Casual Conquest.

Weld said only last week Casual Conquest is not going jumping and will now wait until the spring to start him off on the flat again, Luke.

Wouldn't disagree with that DJ - was told earlier in the season that the horse he won with at Ascot the other day was his Supreme Novices horse and said horse's (Simonsig) former trainer here in the South East said the horse would have no problem at all dropping back to two miles and was easily the best horse he'd ever had (though he's used to 3m plodding pointers).

Any novice should be at least 100/1 to win a Champion Hurdle before it has even run over hurdles. No chance for me.

looking forward to seeing how Binocular shapes up in the Fighting Fifth.

Not his race I fear but the vibes are very much better this year.

Shame the Bula is a Grade 2 that race would suit him much better than the Christmas Hurdle .

from Nick Mordin site

OSCAR WHISKY WOULD BE INTERESTING BACK OVER TWO MILES

It's hard to be sure from a video, but OSCAR WHISKY (41) kooks to have grown and strengthened significantly since last season. He's now a strong, good-bodied, muscular, quite powerful sort. And though he's obviously built and bred for chasing, his physique also hints at serious pace.

I mention this because last season trainer Nicky Henderson suggested Oscar Whisky might well be more effective over two miles when he matured and filled his frame. This is true for plenty of young horses. The extra muscle they put on when fully mature increases their speed.

Oscar Whisky certainly looked to be very happy going the scorching pace set by eventual winner Overturn on fast ground in the Grade 2 Ascot Hurdle last week. True, the distance was three and a half furlongs longer than the minimum national hunt trip of two miles. But Overturn was going two mile pace right from the start and Oscar Whisky was able to stick close to him in second all the way till landing flat footed over three out. He worked his way back from there and was upsides when asked for a big jump and capsizing at the last. I think he'd have won by a neck or half a length if he'd stood up, and the fact he was trading at 1.31 in running at the last suggests most observers agree with that view.

I'd like to see Oscar Whisky cut back to two miles and shoot for the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton or the Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown a few days later. I'd prefer the latter race as it's around a more galloping track and likely to provide softer ground, But I'd fancy his chances in either race as he'd probably now be unbeaten in eight starts outside the Cheltenham Festival if he'd stood up here.

Whatever happens to Oscar Whisky back over two miles this season he looks like a tremendous prospect for the Arkle over fences next term. It would also be fascinating to see how well he'd do if Henderson tried him on the flat. He's a better hurdler than Rite Of Passage who won the Ascot Gold Cup, so I'd like his chances of taking the same race.

The winner OVERTURN (41) is a powerful front runner that's awfully hard to peg back on fast ground in a small field. Whenever he gets these conditions he'll be a betting proposition.

Binocular looks to have lost his fifth gear . The ground was probably stickier than he liked but he should have picked up Overturn.

Unless there is some undiagnosed problem they can sort out as in 2010 I think his best days are behind him .

I was disappointed with that. Well below his best form. Who knows if he can recover it? I'm not brimming with confidence that he can.

Last edited:
How hard would it have been to have had him trained to his very peak for the Festival and then let him down and get him ready again for Liverpool without having had a run?

I think there is a certain amount of mileage in his price now given that Cheltenham in March on good ground with a fast pace is where his best form is at. That form still isn't good enough to beat HF, but if he's 12s or 14s on the day he'd be a fair each way shout.

...at his best he cruises through his races and picks up of fast pace. Like Ardross says he seems to have lost a gear. He ran very flat for me. I need to see him showing a bit of sparkle and was disappointed he didn't show any after the stable saying he was back to something like his form. He seemed fit enough to me, just not good enough (...at the moment anyway).

Galileo's Choice group 3 winner on flat - unconvincing in a maiden at Galway but we might see something special on Sunday?

Hatton's Grace – 4/5 Thousand Stars, 4/1 Mourad, 6/1 Voler La Vedette, 8/1 The Real Article, 9/1 Unaccompanied, 12/1 Mikael D'Haguenet, 18/1 Final Approach.

11/10 Thousand Stars with Bet365. Looks a better race that his win at Punchestown and I don't see him getting it all his own way. The Real Article at 8/1 would be my pick at the prices.

Back