The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

I'm confused... probably end up watching this one rather than playing... I'll be kicking myself for missing the 3/1 though.

on paper he's not as good as So Young even at a longer distance..it could be fair to say that So Young will be better suited to 2 miles than OW..would have thought SY is the value bet in this race

It might be wrong to assume there'll be no pace on. It's invariably a small field, but it's a decent prize and usually run at a respectable clip.
Oscars Well's trainer did suggest the horse might need a warm-up and the lto run had all the hall-marks. She's also convinced he's got the pace for 2m and, on the likely ground, I'd be inclined to believe her.

Doesn't look too serious with HF, more a case of Mullins not 100% happy with him. After such a busy & outstanding season last time I'm sure Mullins would be happy with just 1 or 2 prep runs then straight to the Festival.

Really liked Oscars Well as a novice, good combination of speed and stamina that you need to win the big one at Chelts. Produced an excellent speed fig when winning the Deloite Novice Hurdle and must surely have gone v close to winning what looked a good quality Neptune if not for blundering the last. Goes on any ground and obv open to any amount of improvement after just 6 starts over hurdles. Travelled sweetly on his seasonal reappearance before lack of fitness told so hoping for a big run next time to stamp him as a genuine challenger to the mighty Fly. Had a small ew play a few weeks back at 25/1 before the news about HF broke and wouldn't swop it for anything now :)

It might be wrong to assume there'll be no pace on. It's invariably a small field, but it's a decent prize and usually run at a respectable clip.
Oscars Well's trainer did suggest the horse might need a warm-up and the lto run had all the hall-marks. She's also convinced he's got the pace for 2m and, on the likely ground, I'd be inclined to believe her.

i just can't see any horse that will take the pace though..its going to be tactical because no one will want to lead..because whatever leads is going to have to commit from the start and go hard..not something trainers tend to encourage with horses that don't usually lead. It will certainly be interesting to see who is in front after 2 furlongs.

Last edited:
Oscars Well is quicker than So Young to my eye. I backed So Young last year in the Neptune and Oscars Well showed more pace. He just didn't show the last hurdle enough respect!

His run first time out was good form - The Real Article and the second have been on the go during the summer so were race fit and both are good solid horses - He was giving both of them weight as well. The Real Article is many peoples CH dark horse. With that run under his belt Oscars Well will stamp his claims at the weekend.

Extremely impressive, on his seasonal debut too. So disappointed with OW there, thought I had a great antepost proposition :(

i just can't see any horse that will take the pace though..its going to be tactical because no one will want to lead..because whatever leads is going to have to commit from the start and go hard..not something trainers tend to encourage with horses that don't usually lead. It will certainly be interesting to see who is in front after 2 furlongs.

There you go, EC - quickest time of the day, and by some margin.

There you go, EC - quickest time of the day, and by some margin.

so it should have been..the other 2 mile hurdle race was won by 132 horse.

with only 4 runners the best tactic was used..a strong run race from the front..he beat another stayer today..in the CH will he try the same tactic?

Back