The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

That's a fair cop out. And I even thought the charitable nature of the bet would appeal.

Bragging rights will have to do...

My money is being kept for laying Quito dlr should coonections be foolish enough to come to Sandown...

You know, if the Hattons Grace was a Grou 1 flat race and the Willie Mullins entries were AP O'Brien's, there would be absolute uproar. But because its Willie Mullins, or Michael O'Leary, we don't seem to mind the national hunt boys having half the field. There was a novice hurdle at the Punchestown Festival where O'Leary had 3 of the 6 runners. He has the front four in the Drinmore. But no uproar......yet anyway.

Under the French rules, where horses in the same stable or the same ownership are treated as a single unit, these events would be a washout for betting purposes.

Mullins is the most successful NH trainer there has been in Ireland, at least in modern times (Aidan O'Brien would have been if he didn't transfer to the flat). He has been winning almost as much prize money as Nicholls, but from a much smaller pool.

Meanwhile O'Leary seems to own most of the best young horses in the country, but at least they are well spread across at least a dozen stables.

It amazes me why more yards can’t find something to take part. There is prize money for the first four (sponsored by Bar One Racing… nice one Barry) and there may not be many more than that (if any more) taking part.

Last edited:
You know, if the Hattons Grace was a Grou 1 flat race and the Willie Mullins entries were AP O'Brien's, there would be absolute uproar. But because its Willie Mullins, or Michael O'Leary, we don't seem to mind the national hunt boys having half the field. There was a novice hurdle at the Punchestown Festival where O'Leary had 3 of the 6 runners. He has the front four in the Drinmore. But no uproar......yet anyway.

Why uproar? Gigginstown are fantastic for NH racing, and pitch their horses against each other so the cream rises to the top, and they have revitalised some stables look at Noel Meade.

Why uproar? Gigginstown are fantastic for NH racing, and pitch their horses against each other so the cream rises to the top, and they have revitalised some stables look at Noel Meade.

Let me take what you've said in the flat context

"Coolmore are fantastic for flat racing, and pitch their horses against each other so the cream rises to the top".

So why do a lot of people moan about Coolmore reducing the Irish Derby to a farce or when they have half the field in a Group 3? I don't have a problem with it. But plenty of others do. Yet, they'd be the first to say O'Leary and Mullins are fine men for doing the exact same. Smacks of double standards to me.

You would have to ask someone who likes the flat and has a problem with it then, I see only good thing for Irish NH with Gigginstowns involvement, how long before we see the Gold Cup going back to Ireland?

You would have to ask someone who likes the flat and has a problem with it then, I see only good thing for Irish NH with Gigginstowns involvement, how long before we see the Gold Cup going back to Ireland?

March.....we all know that except Hamm!!

I like QDLR, but I was thinking more 2013/2014...

Anyway Champion Hurdle thread, I was very impressed with Rock On Ruby, obviously race fit first time out but giving nearly two stone to the runner up who was due to go up 12lbs must put in the CH picture, y/n?

I like QDLR, but I was thinking more 2013/2014...

Anyway Champion Hurdle thread, I was very impressed with Rock On Ruby, obviously race fit first time out but giving nearly two stone to the runner up who was due to go up 12lbs must put in the CH picture, y/n?

I liked the way he travelled. Looks like he's on the up.

Just five to line up for the Hatton's Grace on Sunday, with prize money for four of them!

Seems like a good Grade 1 opportunity for Mourad, to me.

6/1 VLV each way not looking too bad now. A very winnable race with Thousand Stars and the potential improver Unaccompanied out of it. It's a soft enough grade 1.

Haven't had the opportunity to do much scouting round this afternoon, but I've taken the 13/8 about Mourad (at Paddy Power). (Perhaps I could have done better?) Which was less than I'd hoped for, but still better than the chance I think he has.

A more straightforward chance than SE in the Tingle Creek (Hamm) and the same sort of price!

Last edited:
Only four turn out now after MdH's win today. Mullins has half of them. They all win prize money. Walsh is on Mourad. The 13/8 has gone.

Last edited:
Voler beat Mourad last year by 2 lengths after making a mistake 2 out and she gets 7lbs rather than the 5lbs last year. Something wrong there. I know Mourad beat her at Punchestown but that was over 3m and Thousand Stars beat her, but that was over 2m. 2m4f is her trip and if she hadn't made that mistake last year I think she would have split Solwhit and Hurricane.

Great win for Voler today!! Congrats to all connected to the horse, and well done Cantoris on reading it right. Not blind faith after all :)

I'm looking for a recipe............for humble pie :lol:

I know Hamm had it 18 months ago. Not sure where its gone but someone must have it and I'm getting very "emotional" about it

All I need now is QDLR to work out for the hat-trick.

I'm looking for a recipe............for humble pie :lol:

I know Hamm had it 18 months ago. Not sure where its gone but someone must have it and I'm getting very "emotional" about it

All I need now is QDLR to work out for the hat-trick.

Seriously, you are insufferable. If everyone who picks the wrong horse got it in the ear from you, there would be no one left on here.

Well done on your win. As for referring or replying to me on here, please don't do so anymore. You are a bore.

I come on here to discuss horses, not rub people's faces in it the odd occasion i get something right.

The bet was for bragging rights lads.... I think Cantoris is allowed a little touch in the circumstances. Be a man Hamm and take it! I got well and truly emptied out today.... Worst days punting in a long time... despite calling a few of the races correctly. That's racing as they say.

I'd say the bookies got seriously bashed at Fairyhouse-plenty of short ones winning.
Powers have a nice offer in their Irish shops at the moment /they are enhancing the show price on all Rubys rides up to Christmas for up to a grand.

I'd say the bookies got seriously bashed at Fairyhouse-plenty of short ones winning.
Powers have a nice offer in their Irish shops at the moment /they are enhancing the show price on all Rubys rides up to Christmas for up to a grand.

That's a major bashing 2 out of the last 3 weekends. I must have been the only fool who didn't make it pay today. Galileo's Choice was very painful especially with Ruby dictating the race again.

Back