The Road To The 2013 Grand National

Agreed - what a load of crap - the jockeys rode much more sensibly and the horses and jockeys came back safely.

It is still a massive test - if it is safer and there are far fewer Alvertons, Dark Ivys, Synchroniseds etc then all the better.

Synchronised didnt die at Bechers, he fell, but it doesnt half get in the way of the narrative. Never let the facts get in the way. If we have to go back to 1987 (26 years ago) and 1978 (35 years ago) for the two deaths of horses at bechers, I think its proving the point.

No one is complaining at making the race safer, but to me,, this years changes has sacrificed what it was that made it special.

If Little Josh and Battlefront had died today, rather than thusday and friday, what changes would be next.

Is it because a 66/1 shot won it or because of the new features that people are complaining about?.

I don't like any race where a rag with no form wins. It's not just price related, Mon Mome was 100s but was ludicrously overpriced when he won.

Is it because a 66/1 shot won it or because of the new features that people are complaining about?.

I thought Aurora's Encore was one of the more likely ones. This was something that was clear from thursday's foxhunters race. Who won at what price is irrelevant.

Haven't watched the National for a couple of years as I'd grown to hate the race and the awful spectacle of carnage. Watched the replay as soon as I read the reports that horses and jockeys had come back safe and found it much more palatable viewing. I didn't feel as if I was watching a remake of Ben Hur ......

I dont get the moaning. I find nothing attractive about the carnage we have seen in previous years. Also entirely logical choices (mine) finished second and third so its not quite the daft lottery that some believe.

It never was the daft lottery, not since pre-historic times. Two horses racing over the national fences this year. Should it be made safer? or is it because no one died in the grand national, have they got it right.

On what basis? The Jock GN he was second in was a terrible renewal.

He has run very well at the meeting in the past. Think he won a novice at 50/1. And on good ground, up with the pace, sound jumping. Thought he would out run his odds. Girlfriend asked for an outsider. Told her that one.

you brought up the fear factor re Arkle

but why should owners have to fear death of their horse more than they usually do in any other race..why does a race have to have that fear to satisfy a few like you?

you say.. its not like it used to be...now..lots of things aren't like what they used to be..you get called an old fashioned get if you want that...oooh it int like owld times is it dear?

over the last 10 years..after some nationals i've wondered why i even watched them...some have been looked awful spectacles.

maybe you should try and move with times a bit more..not be so set in your ways

thats what i get at home and work if i display what you have on here

i'm amazed that horse owners and lovers on here haven't responded to this

This is quite ridiculous. There are safety procedures that are very sensible and warranted.

For those who dont recognise the unique challenge, why isn't the race over Mildmay fences? Wouldnt it be altogether more safe?

its still a unique challenge HW..its the only race of its kind

if it was so safe before then why did you say Arkle didn't run in it through fear..you brought up fear.

Auroras Encore ( second in a Scottish National and wins a lot April / May time)

Balthazar King ( goes well fresh, ground come right )

Teaforthree ( not original but had this race in mind when it won at Cheltenham last year)

All three are nine year old, a strong trend in recent years

First and third, I thought it was a brilliant race even though I don't bet :rolleyes:

its still a unique challenge HW..its the only race of its kind

if it was so safe before then why did you say Arkle didn't run in it through fear..you brought up fear.

And where did I say that I wanted it to return to 1964 conditions. That was pre 40 runner maximum days. Several safety measurements have been welcomed and warranted - the Island fences was a no-brainer, the filling in of the brook, the knapp before each fence.

However, becuase 2011 and 2012 happened to be unlucky for horses dying. (Gold Cup winner falling (not dying) at Bechers sealed its fate) The ten years previous to that were safer than the ten years before that. Yet you get people pointing out to Dark Ivy, who was interfered with when jumping, and an unfortunate death from 35 years ago as evidence of how its better now. Its just luck that it was Little Josh that broke its shoulder yesterday and not Seabass today.

In the replay today, C4 presenters couldnt tell the differnet between canal turn and foinavon fence. Foinavon used to be notably smaller than the rest.

It is not a race for National Hunt community, it is for the PR companies.

It may well not have been the race of old BUT it was the race that was needed in particular this year after last. Had there been any serious injuries/fatalities, the RSPCA & Animal Aid would have found mass public support in justifying their arguments. As it is, racing wins because it addressed the problems that had been flagged up and for this year, it seems to have worked.

We may have got a surprise winner - that sometimes happens elsewhere and we are all left scratching our heads as to how it happened and we missed it. But the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th were all well fancied - on the day they weren't as good as the winner.

I have some sympathy for your position, HW, but question exactly how much further the course has actually been emasculated this season.

The fences have been softened for a good while (they've fallen-apart for years now) and knocking a handful of inches off some of them, isn't going to make a huge amount of difference, in the overall context of the race (imo).

It's still the ultimate stamina test, making it unique anyway, and I don't really think today's spectacle was more dilute than any I've seen over the last, say, ten years.

For as long as the chattering-class w*nkers are hogging the agenda, racing needs to be seen to be doing something. The Aintree Exec have the impossible job of trying to keep them - and us - sweet. Broadly-speaking, they're making a pretty decent fist of things, imo.

Last edited:
I have some sympathy for your position, HW, but question exactly how much further the course has actually been emasculated this season. The fences have been softened for a good while (they've fallen-apart for years now) and knocking a handful of inches of some of them isn't going to make a huge amount of difference.

It's still the ultimate stamina test, making it unique anyway, and I don't really think today's spectacle was more dilute than any I've seen over the last, say, ten years.

For as long as the chattering-class wankers are hogging the agenda, racing needs to be seen to be doing something. The Aintree Exec have the impossible job of trying to keep them - and us - sweet. Broadly-speaking, they're making a pretty decent fist of things, imo.

I do understand that, and the execs are on a tightrope.

As I said, I would have increased the distance on the flat - probably the going round the bend stopped it ever from happening. But would have slowed down the jocks and there would have been a longer sorting out period.

I personally dont think the fences take much jumping, but I dont see how the favourites filling the places is seen as being proof of the good that is being done. Geraghty's report of horses getting away with mistakes that they ordinarily would have fallen from is telling. I think the less unique the challenge, the more likely that those at the head of the market will come to the fore.

I think I will live to see the end of grand national sweepstakes in offices etc. It will be the valuable long distance chase that once had a tradition.

FWIW, Well Refreshed walking through the last at Haydock when he won the National trial, leaving a hole in the fence and barely checking his momentum maybe exactly what the new type of National horse needs to be.

Leona Lewis ‏@leonalewismusic
How about we put down the little twats that running those poor horses into the ground. can't stand this bullshit.

Brendan Powell Jnr ‏@brendanp1995 4
@leonalewismusic if you don't like it, don't watch it, same as ur music #shite #getalife

The idea that the race is not the race it was also strikes me as bizarre as horses with Aintree form were well to the fore - Cappa Bleu and Oscar Time 2nd and 4th were both placed before . Old hand Swing Bill a good 6th .

It is still a unique test but it is now lacking traps and the abolition of wooden cores to the fences seems to have been a big plus .

I liked the start - I wasnt one bit sure about it when they first said what they were going to do, but the jumble parade to let them get on with things and moving it down a little I really think helped.

As for the race itself, Im glad everyone has come home in one piece and hopefully nobody will be worse for wear tomorrow or Monday. I think its too soon to say for sure that its definately worked forever (not least becuase everyone with half a brain knows that you will never make anything 100% safe) but its a damn good start to it. We have to move with the times and if we have to make these changes to appease the unwashed lentil and sandal brigade and keep sport something approaching how we want it to be, then thats what has to be done. Guess the anti racing mob will move on to Cheltenham next (to add to the anti racing campaign in Cheltenham's Lush this year), then start on flat racing - certainally it will be interesting to see how many come for their annual outing to Aintree station next year and how they propose to tell people its cruel/horses die/everyone is too whip happy/you're all a big bunch of meanies but we will still use your stuff when we want to...

Back