The Road To The 2013 Grand National

You can see why the bookies love this race.
Sue Smith ffs
No more bets for me till Cheltenham October

They all got over beeches-have you ever seen that before.

isn't that better than them falling though?

i'm not sure what is that different..some years horses fall some years they don't..i do think they went slower at the first..which gave them time to get into a sensible rythmn at the 2nd and 3rd..rather than still be going hell for leather....which is a good thing

Last edited:
Think the new course means that it will only be a jumping test (over and above a standard steeplechase) in heavy ground.

it could just be that they went a more sensible pace early..hence the early carnage was averted

how many fell in the other races over the course compared to other years on similar ground?

it could just be that they went a more sensible pace early..hence the early carnage was averted

how many fell in the other races over the course compared to other years on similar ground?

You can do that research if you want. The two ditches and Valentines look to be the only jumping tests in the race. The idea of there being a brave mans route down to Bechers is no longer valid.

Geraghty said to Alice Plunkett that he saw horses get away with mistakes that ordinarily they wouldnt have. I'll ask him to do the research.

It will be the most valuable long distance chase, and may attract better horses in the future. The fear factor that kept Arkles out of the race is gone. What made the grand national special is just about gone. The only thing it has left is the national attention.

Its the unique challenge. Why is it that the National that has got national attention - C4 giving over its weekend's schedule to it. There is no longer a need for it. Its only a memory of when people did stop for it. Just like the FA Cup really.

Listening too closely to those playing the death card is what has lost the race its balls. Its not wishing death or horses falling on the race. Its about the challenge that it presents.

FWIW, I would have made the race 4m6f and started the race at the site of the final hurdle and changed the bend out into the country.

i'm not sure that fear of death is a particularly pleasant reason to have to dodge a race tbh

Agreed - what a load of crap - the jockeys rode much more sensibly and the horses and jockeys came back safely.

It is still a massive test - if it is safer and there are far fewer Alvertons, Dark Ivys, Synchroniseds etc then all the better.

you brought up the fear factor re Arkle

but why should owners have to fear death of their horse more than they usually do in any other race..why does a race have to have that fear to satisfy a few like you?

you say.. its not like it used to be...now..lots of things aren't like what they used to be..you get called an old fashioned get if you want that...oooh it int like owld times is it dear?

over the last 10 years..after some nationals i've wondered why i even watched them...some have been looked awful spectacles.

maybe you should try and move with times a bit more..not be so set in your ways

thats what i get at home and work if i display what you have on here

i'm amazed that horse owners and lovers on here haven't responded to this

Last edited:
I dont get the moaning. I find nothing attractive about the carnage we have seen in previous years. Also entirely logical choices (mine) finished second and third so its not quite the daft lottery that some believe.

Back