The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

Is betting Ante post for the festival not more about value and having a superior position on price?
Surely the hard work and profit is down to what goes on over the four days - handicaps, E/W doubles,trebles etc.

About getting in a winning position and getting a horse fit and in X race

Handicaps are not my thing, e/w, doubles, trebles not particularly either unless for a very small outlay

I prefer to back single stakes for generous renumeration

I'm reading that Yanworth is injured.

Might explain the Buveur D'Air decision.

EDIT: This is starting to look like rumour-mill b******t

EDIT 2: CONFIRMED AS NONSENSE, apologies.

Last edited:
What has Buveur d'Aire done to justify his price in the Champion market.

I thought he looked electric on his debut but his Warwick effort was poor. Cloudy Dream who went step for step with him in Haydock for most of the race was beaten at the weekend.

You can get 5/2 about whether you trust Willie Mullins at the moment in the CH market.

I think a few things contribute to Buveur D'air's current price in the market. Firstly connections. Nicky Henderson along with Peter Easterby has trained more champion hurdle winners than anyone else in the game. He knows if a horse is up to the demands of the race. MTOY last year to run the race he did without a prep run proves what Henderson can do so he obviously sees something he likes in BD. He was always a very slick hurdler and to quote the trainer himself BD was "electric yesterday schooling hurdles, like an arrow". Add in the green & gold hoops and JP as the races most successful owner and you obviously now have very cautious bookmakers.

Secondly, lets look at Buveur D'airs hurdle form. He is 3 from 4 over hurdles, his only taste of defeat at the hands of his stable mate who looks extraordinary and destined for greatness. He was however given a very poor ride by Fehily that day. To finish where he did after being held up out the back was a fine effort and he stayed on gamely up the hill to take third closing on Min all the while. That Supreme, certainly as it stands, looks well above average. Everything in it apart from Tombstone (4th), Holly Bush Henry (11th) and last placed Silver Concorde have progressed since and won again - many of them racking up impressive sequences. Even at that 4th place Tombstone has excuses. His only run since the supreme was 2 weeks ago and he went down to Jezki, a former Champion Hurdler by just under 3L.

He then moved on to Aintree where, ridden more prominently, he showed excellent battling qualities to beat Petit Mouchouir and Limini in a G1 and that form looks rock solid now so of course the bookmakers are going to take stock. Petit Mouchouir gave a good beating to Nicholas Canyon the first day at Christmas and was in the process of returning the favour to him again last Sunday before falling. The Wyley horse was third in last years champion hurdle & is the only horse to ever inflict defeat on the mighty Faugheen so on a line through PM again it's clear that BD form lines read fairly impressive.

I'll put it this way, I'd much prefer to take the 6/1 on BD than the 9/2 available on Melon for the Supreme. Now that is a crazy price, 9/2 after beating a horse who won a bumper on his 8th attempt!!

I would've loved to be on BD at bigger prices but at 6/1 NRNB I was happy to take that price to cover my antepost Faugheen bet should he not make it. If he wins the Morebattle at Kelso comfortably or if Geraghty decides to jump on his back come March he could well be shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm reading that Yanworth is injured.

Might explain the Buveur D'Air decision.

EDIT: This is starting to look like rumour-mill b******t

I don't know when copy to the Weekender is submitted bu King says Yanworth "seems very well" and "everything he's done has pleased us".

But he also reminds readers "but don't forget our Sceau Royal who's in very good form ... I wouldn't underestimate him."

I don't know when copy to the Weekender is submitted bu King says Yanworth "seems very well" and "everything he's done has pleased us".

But he also reminds readers "but don't forget our Sceau Royal who's in very good form ... I wouldn't underestimate him."

He's drifting on the exchanges. Perhaps a switcheroo and he's going Stayers? Or they're thinking of skipping Cheltenham and going straight for the Aintree hurdle? Or its all a load of b****x and rumours are floating around with no substance.

It's early to be jumping to conclusions but if he is injured and that was the reasons for the Buveur Dair switch then it's downright disgusting that the Yanworth news didn't break first.

Personally think there's nothing in it though.

Why not just say we don't want to risk having a hard race before Cheltenham.

Now I got to put up with DO telling me Brain Power is the best thing since sliced bread for another month :lol:

My one worry with Faugheen going to Festival with no prep is the possibility he might be too fresh and his jumping might suffer.
It happened with Annie Power two years ago and even with Cue Card last year; hence he runs at Ascot over "inadequate " trip.
Faugheen's jumping was never his strongest asset and being a big horse like AP and unlike Quevega his "jumping eye " needs to be fully engaged methinks.
Re Yanworth ;Muscle pull might be the new "alternative fact ", who knows.

They're trying to get Faugheen to Gowran for the Red Mills Hurdle this month I believe.

That's interesting about Faugheen. After the ICH when asked this question by Gary O'Brien, you could visibly see WPM anxious about the potential of the red mills on the way to Cheltenham. WPM even mentioned the bounce factor himself.

What we have to keep in mind is this is a new era in hurdling with no fewer than 4 new kids on the block. There's no guarantee that Faugheen is or was ever better than the best of those.

When I look now to Arctic Fire finishing as close as he did I wouldn't say he travels any better than Yanworth does during a race

He most certainly never showed at any time he could quicken up like Petite Mouchoir does.

Brain Power and Buveur D'Air are unknowns and we all know how they can turn out better than expected.

Add that to the fact Faugheen's participation is still in doubt and they should be going 4/1 the field.

I ask myself if Faugheen is 100% and it's nothing to worry about why are the lads in the yard and their contacts not filing their boots?

Last edited:
Faugheen needs a prep.

WPM will obviously have been cautious with him, and wherever he starts, he will almost certainly come on for the outing. He was two-stone below his best in the Morgiana the year he missed Cheltenham, and Hurricane Fly was often well-below his best FTO too. Maybe it's the way Mullins trains them?

As Eddie says, Faugheen is a gross individual, and I suspect he would be very hard to get to concert-pitch at home. If he went to Cheltenham without a run, you would have to oppose him.

If he takes in the Red Mills and gets turned-over, then he will presumably drift on the back of it.....but then you worry about the Bounce.

It would be easier for all concerned, if the horse just keeled-over in his box tomorrow.

I will probably use a hat-pin on the day.

Last edited:
The bounce is only a worry where a horse has put up a very good, possibly career-best, performance after a lay-off and adherents to the theory reckon 42 days is the cut-off point when it ceases to be an issue.

Buveur D'air goes to Sandown Saturday. Took 5/2 earlier. Had a sneaky feeling they might. He could eat BP alive on soft ground.

6/1 for CH be long gone Saturday evening.

Last edited:
Feb 18 gives him 24 days to Champion Hurdle.
Hardy won it one year at 1/7, some guy had 28k on to win 4 cash on him if I recall correctly.
Anyone here that person ?
If you are I sure hope you took no notice of anything i posted

Last edited:
if he turns up at cheltenham, he wins. A class or perhaps two ahead. 5/2 about trusting WPM to get the horse there.

Faugheen
put a very good performance last time out, but some doubts about the form for me, his previous form was solid but not better than 170.

after a year year off with injuries, and being a horse that usually needs a run to be spot on, i dont see him winning the champion hurdle even if trouble free since Now.

Back