The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Update from Frankie Tight-Lips:

Great Field, an exciting front-runner who has not been seen since signing off last season's unbeaten novice chase campaign with victory in the two-mile Grade 1 novice chase at Punchestown, is closing in on a return.
Berry said: “You won’t see him until the end of February or early March but he’s on the way back. He just had a couple of small setbacks that have held him up a little but he’s doing light work and we’re hopeful of getting him back out again before long.”

Harry The Hat, a regular with Jane Willis at Leopardstown , Listowel and major Irish Coursing events asked me about Frank Berry's riding career last week.
His jaw dropped when I recalled his Irish St Leger win as an apprentice, his multiple Irish Jump Jockey championships etc., never realising such a quite unassuming guy had such status.
Pity the poor conditional jockey in J P's third or fourth colours walking into the parade ring to face Frank, Charlie (10 Championships ) Swan and A P (20 championships ) McCoy.

Update from Frankie Tight-Lips:

Great Field, an exciting front-runner who has not been seen since signing off last season's unbeaten novice chase campaign with victory in the two-mile Grade 1 novice chase at Punchestown, is closing in on a return.
Berry said: “You won’t see him until the end of February or early March but he’s on the way back. He just had a couple of small setbacks that have held him up a little but he’s doing light work and we’re hopeful of getting him back out again before long.”

FWIW, there are no Irish Graded chases at around 2m at the "end of February", and likely the only conceivable race Great Field could run in ahead of the Festival, is the Ascot Chase. It might be a question of either running there (hard to imagine they would travel him FTO), or going straight to the Festival without the benefit of a run............or swerving the Festival entirely, as they did last year. The Norman's Grove at Fairyhouse in early April, would give them a sighter before the Punchestown Festival, and might be where we see him next.

Unless they get him ready earlier than planned, and he makes the new Dublin Chase in early February. :ninja:

You're right, Luke, they do. There was a 2m Grade 3 (the 'We Show All Live Racing Chase') run there the on Sunday 26th February 2017. If that race is carried forward onto this year's card, there's a chance he might run in it under a penalty.

Assuming Great Field makes it they’ll likely split 4 horses between the QM and the Ryanair.
Great Field, UDS, Min & Yorkhill. I can’t see them making a total switcheroo by sending Yorkhill back over hurdles.

I’d say Great Field is 100% a 2 miler and UDS will defend his crown so it’s just how you split the other two up. Unless Douvan makes a miraculous recovery or Djakadam is dropped in trip I can’t see any ownership conflicts which makes things all the more intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie should have gone with his gut after the Neptune with Yorkie. Bit late now me thinks.
That said he did win the JLT easily.

Assuming Great Field makes it they’ll likely split 4 horses between the QM and the Ryanair.
Great Field, UDS, Min & Yorkhill. I can’t see them making a total switcheroo by sending Yorkhill back over hurdles.

I’d say Great Field is 100% a 2 miler and UDS will defend his crown so it’s just how you split the other two up. Unless Douvan makes a miraculous recovery or Djakadam is dropped in trip I can’t see any ownership conflicts which makes things all the more intriguing.

Ideal scenario for me is Great Field in the QMCC, and Min in the Ryanair. Not really fussed where Yorkhill or UDS run, tbh.

Still not convinced Great Field will run in Cheltenham though, even if he is ready to go.

Thought Min was sure to run here after Douvan ruled out but now think there’s a reasonable chance he may go to the Ryanair along with UDS leaving GF and Yorkhill for this

Last edited:
Willie Mullins has given Douvan’s ante-post backers and jumps enthusiasts in general some unexpected hope by revealing that his brilliant chaser could yet make the Cheltenham Festival in March.

they couldn't.....could they? :ninja:

Back