The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Any word from the yard on how forward GF might be, archie?

WPM in today’s RP

“He had a small setback early in the season but has been in pre-training and is due back to us next week. Our main aim is to make Cheltenham with him, but he could possibly make an appearance at the Dublin Racing Festival at Leopardstown early next month if all is well.”

Might not be the right race thread for this update, but FWIW, this is what Mullins had to say about Yorkhill today:

Mullins told the Irish Times: "I've no doubt he would stay (three miles) if he had a better temperament. He's bred to stay.
"But at the moment we're looking at shorter trips for him. I think his next run will be at a shorter trip over fences.
"I don't think he has to go left-handed. He'd be a lot easier to ride left-handed, but if we're stuck for opportunities we'll have to go right-handed.
"Over a shorter trip, going faster, he may not have a problem.

Last edited:
'I don't think he has to go left handed'

Come on man! It's like telling Messi to go in nets. Yes he can physically perform the task but you are inhibiting God given ability.

entries

DTQexS5X0AAk4Eu.jpg:large

Yorkhill without a doubt would be best suited to the Ryanair going by what Mullins is saying

I would not be surprised if he missed the festival if Douvan and UDS make it and waits for the 120k Melling Chase.

I can't have him going for the QMCC or the Champion Hurdle he'd get way too geed up and be taken out of his comfort zone which he depends so much on

2 1/2 miles is perfect for him until he settles down

Surely makes no sense to save Yorkhill for Aintree where he's clearly nowhere near as good going right handed, despite what WPM has recently come out with.

Yorkhill without a doubt would be best suited to the Ryanair going by what Mullins is saying

I would not be surprised if he missed the festival if Douvan and UDS make it and waits for the 120k Melling Chase.

I can't have him going for the QMCC or the Champion Hurdle he'd get way too geed up and be taken out of his comfort zone which he depends so much on

2 1/2 miles is perfect for him until he settles down

Yorkhill would be a car crash at Aintree

It is, but I don't think the owners of UDS will be too happy about a Ryanair bid.

This type of attitude is nonsense (not having a go at you Euro). If UDS gets beat then it's on merit. it should make no odds that they come from the same yard or not. This is a competitive business.

I never heard Clive Smith or Paul Barber bitching about this.

The Irish Field‏
@TheIrishField
Following Following @TheIrishField
More
"We will go down the 2 mile chase route." Yorkhill plans frm Willie Mullins #DRC @LeopardstownRC

Back