The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Just wondering how many people would have said UDS was a certainty had he come down four out in the 2016 Champion Chase?

In light of events clearly Ricci was right in the first place and Douvan should have run in the Ryanair !

Ricci said he will be aimed at the King George as it's a race he really wants to win so the 14/1 for next years CC is the bookies looking for mugs.

The very same bookies have no offers on him for the King George

If he does go to Kempton the Ryanair could be on the cards next year or the Gold Cup but his 2mile days look numbered

Altior and Douvan have a score to settle but I expect there will be no further meetings between the 2 as there's enough to go round between now and the end of the season

Last edited:
Ricci said he will be aimed at the King George as it's a race he really wants to win so the 14/1 for next years CC is the bookies looking for mugs.

ignoring the fact history tells us to take what ricci/mullins etc say with a pinch of salt, even if he goes there he might very well not stay the trip and then there's every chance he's put back to 2 miles

mullins will want to win the CC, second only to the Gold Cup, there's a chance Footpad is their QMCC horse but at double the price Douvan is better value

oh and if he romps up in the champion 2 miler at Punchy it'll give them more food for thought

On decent ground would you prefer Footpad over Min?

On any ground and any trip

Over further I would have no doubt. On better ground he just may struggle to lay up.
I do love Footpad but was disappointed with the two scorching off in the Arkle who just set it up on a plate for Footpad on testing ground.
Maybe he will be fine but will be interesting to see if Willie steps him up in trip.

After this week’s events I would thought short of Altior being injured Min would be the one most likely to be stepping up to the Ryanair.

After this week’s events I would thought short of Altior being injured Min would be the one most likely to be stepping up to the Ryanair.

Min is buzzy. He has won at Ryanair trip but not convinced it's his optimum.

The bonus for a step up would be avoiding a better class of horse.

The forgotten horse of the 2m chasing division - Great Field - is entered-up in a Grade 2 at Navan tomorrow. Jody McGarvey is jocked-up, and it looks like it's all-systems-go.

The forgotten horse of the 2m chasing division - Great Field - is entered-up in a Grade 2 at Navan tomorrow. Jody McGarvey is jocked-up, and it looks like it's all-systems-go.

That should have Altior, Min, Footpad and Douvan sitting-up and taking notice.

Can’t believe they’ve let him go off at 11/8 after WPM performances last week getting Horses back after a long absence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back