The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Douvan would have won that, nd that's me saying that balls deep in Altior. Douvan was cruising to say the least.

Glad I am not alone in my thinking.........He was travelling all over Politologue and he was the one who got Altior into a bit off trouble.

If he didn't blow up I doubt if they would have seen the way he went IMVH biased O

Last edited:
Glad I am not alone in my thinking.........He was travelling all over Politologue and he was the one who got Altior into a bit off trouble.

If he didn't blow up I doubt if they would have seen the way he went IMVH biased O

Patrick Mullins all but confirmed, Douvan would have won on the bridle for me with Altior closing. Just hope the horse is okay now.

Douvan was running so free he could equally have come to a complete halt - way too far out to tell where he would have finished . Not schooling him for over a year nearly ended in disaster.

Altior's extraordinary overdrive to thrash Min from the second last was sensational.

What's the betting Nicky does not send Altior to the Champion Chase at Punchestown if Douvan runs?

Would really hope not. They've had difficulty getting Altior to the track this year, while he is fit and well surely they should have a go?

As they found out with Sprinter Sacre, you never know when they are going to be completely right or not - you only get some many opportunities

Shame Douvan came down but crazy suggesting he would deffo have won. Would have been nice to have seen how it would have unfolded.
Could easily have been eaten by Altior up the hill.

Would love to see him in the Melling if he's recovered well.

Last edited:
Patrick Mullins all but confirmed, Douvan would have won on the bridle for me with Altior closing. Just hope the horse is okay now.

Well if Patrick says so it must be right. Lets just be done with it and crown him the winner :rolleyes:

Of course we don't know but some of us thought before the race he would definitely win.

To see him look every bit as good as he did when he won his Arkle there is no reason on earth to think a Mullins horse travelling like that was going to stop.

Ricci said before the race he thought Min would beat him.......well If that was Douvan unfit gawd help anything that takes him on when he is fit

Would be great to see the two take each other on again at their best. I think Willie Mullins knows how far Douvan would beat Min by. I probably caused the fall because I said to myself that this could be better than Vautours JLT as he jumped the two previous, making Altior look ordinary. Apologies to connections. It would be time to back your opinions if they were to meet.

WillieM pleased with Douvan but concerned he was too fresh and would not have finished his race .

Exactly what I said on course, he's done far too much.

Great by Altior on ground that was more against him than his other market rivals. Puts to bed the 'Min' got injured in the supreme argument. Mins good Altior is great.
Lot to ask of Douvan now, 2 Queen Mum's and he's come up short each time.

Exactly what I said on course, he's done far too much.

Great by Altior on ground that was more against him than his other market rivals. Puts to bed the 'Min' got injured in the supreme argument. Mins good Altior is great.
Lot to ask of Douvan now, 2 Queen Mum's and he's come up short each time.

Douvan fell when Patrick Mullins in his own words said he was in control of the race and there was no signs of him stopping.

I hope they meet again soon and they offer odds against Douvan...I could do with a new car:)

Apart from Altior I can't think of one.........Douvan ran is all 3 as did Sprinter Sacre but he was a big baby at the time of the Supreme.

I really don't think many have run in all 3

At least one trainer in Richard Fahey saw what I saw.....He said he had never seen a horse travel the way Douvan was going in his entire life.

I just watched the race for the 5th time and IMVHO anyone who thinks Altior would have beaten Douvan is FUITH

I am happy he did win and I hope Timeform give him a huge mark because I truly believe he is a stepping stone to Douvan breaking that illusive Timeform 200 Barrier.

You read it here first :whistle:

two thoughts from the race, Douvan looked majestic up until the fall and well within his comfort zone but after a year off the track you'd have to wonder how he'd have seen it out at the business end.

Altior was not in his comfort zone and is definitely less stylish and lacks the natural speed Douvan has. The way he finishes his races is nothing like i've seen though and I think, and have always thought, he could win big races at 3 miles. The worry i'd have is what he does might end up taking its toll on the horse, he's not exactly saving a bit back for himself. I think he'll need a break till Sandown after that or may even be boxed away for the summer.

if's, but's and maybe's aside. lets just hope we get the rematch next year. still both 8 yr olds but it'll probably be the last chance we could see it in their pomp.

Back