• Buveur D'Air

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Faugheen

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let' hope Chapman is right but I remember this headline only to clearly "Annie Power and Faugheen set for Champion Hurdle clash"

No horse in Champion Hurdle histor has come back after such a long lay off and won a Champion Hurdle. Two did regain it but not after nearly 2 years off the track.

The problem as I see it is invariably most hurdlers who stand in their box for long periods of time lose their speed and Faugheen was all about speed

Not sure that Faugheen was ever about speed tbh, Tanlic. For me, he was all about relentless galloping at a higher-tempo than any other horse could sustain - he very rarely won with what you would call a turn-of-foot.

Clearly, it will take some performance for him to win a Champion Hurdle - especially so, given they're certain to go very steadily with him in any prep-races (would dearly love to take him on at a short-price at Punchestown). But the division isn't chock-full of superstars, and even if he returns a stone worse horse, there's probably only Buveur D'Air you would say is categorically better than that, at present. Stats are against him, as they were against the Fly, but he was an exceptional hurdler, and it's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility, that he can regain his crown.

He came back burly when in his pomp so can only imagine how gross the beast will be in 10 weeks.

if he doesn't flatter but is well in himself, I wouldn't rule out a step to 3 miles

Not sure that Faugheen was ever about speed tbh, Tanlic. For me, he was all about relentless galloping at a higher-tempo than any other horse could sustain - he very rarely won with what you would call a turn-of-foot.
disagree. not to go all ec1 on ya grass but iirc there were splits that suggested he had high speed at the business end of a 2 mile race. if you go back and watch his neptune and, moreso the champion hurdle, he puts the race to bed very swiftly at the turn in when ruby pushes the button. in the latter ruby went very steady on him throughout as he suspected he'd have the toe to burn them off when required, which he did.

i don't disagree he also had the engine needed if necessary in an end to end gallop.

if we can get him back to anything close to what he was it'll be great to see but it's hard to imagine it sadly.

Irish Field's pic of Faugheen on parade at The Curragh today

attachment.php

Attachments

• Faugheen2.JPG
    Faugheen2.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 75

Clearly, it will take some performance for him to win a Champion Hurdle - especially so, given they're certain to go very steadily with him in any prep-races (would dearly love to take him on at a short-price at Punchestown). But the division isn't chock-full of superstars, and even if he returns a stone worse horse, there's probably only Buveur D'Air you would say is categorically better than that, at present. Stats are against him, as they were against the Fly, but he was an exceptional hurdler, and it's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility, that he can regain his crown.

Can't have that Grassy

You are confusing relentless gallop with a horse, who was so easy to settle for Ruby, being up there was the sensible way to go.......held up in front it's called and Ruby does it on any horse he can....why give others a start as I pointed out the other day

Cast your mind back to the Neptune when Ruby settled him back in 3rd or 4th not because he lacked to/acceleration but because he was a very easy horse to settle. Horse was half asleep for most of that race hence he clouted a couple

The toe he showed that day blows relentelss galloper out the window...when asked 2 out and as I have said many times re the Champion Hurdle the race is won and lost by either having or not having the ability to cope with the sudden change of pace (Injection of speed)

Faugheen could quicken on a sixpence and did so in both his Cheltenham wins

Maybe you and JamesRB are right about the speed aspect, Tanlic - though I'm not sure using the Neptune as an example is particularly beneficial. I guess it would be more accurate to say I'd never seen Faugheen demonstrate the kind of explosive turn-of-foot, that his one-time stable-companion used to display, when putting two-mile Grade 1's to bed.

Regardless, it was in no way intended as a knock to Faugheen, who I would love to see return to his best....though like JamesRB, I'm a little sceptical as to whether that's genuinely possible

Also worth stating this for Frankel's sake. Faugheen would have the same feelings of inferiority at the Curragh, as Muhammed Ali would stepping into the ring against Charles Hawtrey......or any other giddy, preening mincer of similiar ilk.

You ken it, I ken it, Patsy Kensit. ;)

Very interested to see how Coquin Mans gets on dropped back down to 2m, given he looks well-suited by further.

Some horse just don't like racing...Henry De Bromhead has achieved some great things in his time but he'll pulling off a near miracle he can sweeten up Identity Thief and get another win into him.

Back