The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

This seems less concrete.

e56d17d3ecc6df6145dfd6deb779e74b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All systems go according to Elliot. Said they'd rather lose this race then potentially lose the mares.

Think Laurina will go to the mares with the excuse they've not been able to get runs into her. If she does line up, with underestimated Sharjah, we have a belting race.

Yes but ultimately the decision is the owners.

Didn’t Annie Power win something like 15 out of 17 races, falling in one with the race at her mercy and just going down in the Stayers when finding the trip slightly too far.

Apple’s Jade is superb but I’m not convinced she’d have beaten Annie Power.

Last edited:
This is what I'm wondering...

Are we witnessing the best NH mare of all time?

She has the chance to prove it now at least

A purist will say Dawn run on the sole basis of champ and gold cup win

But consistency, the way she destroys them , her longevity and flexibility around trip, she will take some beating

I really really hope Mullins doesn't use this as a reason to reroute Laurina. Pretty sure they will now

Last edited:
I really really hope Mullins doesn't use this as a reason to reroute Laurina. Pretty sure they will now
if the two time champion wouldn't put him off, apples jade shouldn't either really

if they do re-route her the reason will be the lack of runs or the ground if its quicker than ideal

regarding AJ, do we think she ends up going off fav for this if she takes her chance?

i do think, given that her 3 runs at cheltenham have all been a bit below her best form, i'd have to be against her looking at the way the market is shaping

if the two time champion wouldn't put him off, apples jade shouldn't either really

if they do re-route her the reason will be the lack of runs or the ground if its quicker than ideal

regarding AJ, do we think she ends up going off fav for this if she takes her chance?

i do think, given that her 3 runs at cheltenham have all been a bit below her best form, i'd have to be against her looking at the way the market is shaping

She beat VVM and Limini. Last season Elliot said she was in season, they've addressed that this season.

My point is it looks like WPM would prefer to run her in the mares and this strengthens the cause a little bit.

Fact that she may not race before March also adds to it

Didn’t Annie Power win something like 15 out of 17 races, falling in one with the race at her mercy and just going down in the Stayers when finding the trip slightly too far.

Totally agree with you. In fact imo she wouldn't have blown win up her backside in a Champion Hurdle.

I am not shocked they are considering running her as 2nd prize is 50% more than winning the mares.

I wish her luck but there must be thousands of AP punters who bets just went down the drain hoping they get their ass kicked

Bet edgt wishes his £250ew Apple's Jade to win or place in the CH @ 20/1 in the AP competition was for real

Last edited:

AP was one of the ones I had in mind when I asked the question.

I had a big figure for her and felt she had the beating of any of the males of her era.

My figures are telling me AJ is better but I'll need to double-check them.

She's also won G1 at 2m, 2.5m and 3m. Incredible speed, genuine stamina, lovely jumper, great attitude.

She's maybe too good to send over fences, even belatedly.

Nothing to beat the Salamis tablet

How the hell can anyone possibly put her in front of Annie Power unless they are brain dead

what has she won? One from 2 Mares Hurdles, Beaten in the Triumph, Beaten in the Fighting Fifth, Beaten in the Annie Power

The only decent CH contender she has faced is Melon and he's been out in the sun too long and couldn't win a 1/2 mile hurdle against untried broodmares at the moment.

Dawn Run is a legend and the female Arkle of NH racing and the mere mention of suggesting Apples jade is in the same class is laughable

AP was one of the ones I had in mind when I asked the question.

I had a big figure for her and felt she had the beating of any of the males of her era.

My figures are telling me AJ is better but I'll need to double-check them.

She's also won G1 at 2m, 2.5m and 3m. Incredible speed, genuine stamina, lovely jumper, great attitude.

She's maybe too good to send over fences, even belatedly.

On RPRs:

Apple's Jade 168 for yesterday
Annie at her peak 170 (@ 8yo, AFTER winning the Aintree Hdle after winning the Champion)
Annie in the Champion: RPR 162 OR 162

Annie at the same stage of her career: OR 162, RPR 164

Last edited:
Maurice, what rating did you have for AJ's Aintee win, out of interest? No problem if not to hand. Few mares have given more than one jaw dropping performances in my lifetime.

Maurice, what rating did you have for AJ's Aintee win, out of interest? No problem if not to hand. Few mares have given more than one jaw dropping performances in my lifetime.

Sadly I don't HW. I did a massive clearout during the summer, including all my hard copy form stuff from beyond last season. I don't have a rating for her for that race in my RP account either so I presume I must have wanted to go back at some point and see if I could make sense of the form. It was, as you say, jaw-dropping, beating the Triumph winner over half a furlong into second.

Actually, HW, I just came across this.

After her win in the big juvenile hurdle at Aintree, not long after finishing a good second to Ivanovich Gorbatov in the Triumph, I wrote:

Apples Jade was visually deeply impressive in the juvenile hurdle but on the clock was 20lbs slower than Annie Power before any wfa consideration. With no other hurdle race with which to make any meaningful comparison I’m working on the assumption that everything bar the two winners simply failed to turn up. Assuming Annie Power ran to her previous career best [on my figures] of 165, it puts Apple’s Jade on 145 plus 7 for wfa. It means a male opponent would need to be 160+ to beat her.

Her new OR fell largely in line with my own assessment as she was rated 153 for it and the 7lbs weight-for-sex concession meant a male opponent would need to be 160 to equal that. As a 4yo. So already she was on the verge of all-age G1 with the possibility of significant improvement as she aged.

Reading back through it again I can see the flaw in the argument but hey...

Last edited:
Back