The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

This threads been quiet. What about something like Brain Power to upset the apple cart?

That's a romantic view of the race, Double J. However, I believe that if there's three horses supposedly all 'this good', then murphy's law suggests that none of them are Istabraq, with all potentially being beaten by something at a bigger price. I'm no Vincent O Brien but the great trainer once said that if you reckon you've got five Derby horses then you've probably got none. A similar thing could apply here. On the one hand, Apples Jade has been very impressive this season, but she's plenty exposed now, she'll be conquered at some juncture at the 'highest level'. Boover is beatable. Laurina has questions to answer. I've decided I will actually be taking all three of them on with something at a bigger price. Maybe Brain Power, possibly something else. I'll let you know.

Last edited:
No Charli Parcs. Looks like Envoi Allen could be at the head of affairs for JP so badgering. He’ll last longer than CP out in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they wont. Perhaps they’re happy enough with the pace up front with Global
citizen & AJ.

However, I believe that if there's three horses supposedly all 'this good', then murphy's law suggests that none of them are Istabraq, with all potentially being beaten by something at a bigger price. I'm no Vincent O Brien but the great trainer once said that if you reckon you've got five Derby horses then you've probably got none. A similar thing could apply here. On the one hand, Apples Jade has been very impressive this season, but she's plenty exposed now, she'll be conquered at some juncture at the 'highest level'. Boover is beatable. Laurina has questions to answer. I've decided I will actually be taking all three of them on with something at a bigger price.

I know I'm not the only one changing their minds a few times on this race. I had to remind myself I said this quote a few days ago. Although Apples Jade has a favourites chance, my other plays on the day are all each way prices, so I'm going to stick Espoir D'allen in the each way lucky 63. Let's see how good the big three horses really are then eh...!

Last edited:
I keep looking at Brain Power remembering how much Nicky thought of this horse a few years back after he won at Sandown in December 2016. Granted a long time ago but they then tried him in the Champion Hurdle and he went off 13/2 but was disappointing. We all know he can’t jump fences and his return to hurdles was a good idea, winning the International Hurdle well. The ground won’t faze him either. I’m not saying he’ll win but I think he could come third if one or two of the principles don’t run their race.

I keep looking at Brain Power remembering how much Nicky thought of this horse a few years back after he won at Sandown in December 2016. Granted a long time ago but they then tried him in the Champion Hurdle and he went off 13/2 but was disappointing. We all know he can’t jump fences and his return to hurdles was a good idea, winning the International Hurdle well. The ground won’t faze him either. I’m not saying he’ll win but I think he could come third if one or two of the principles don’t run their race.

He'll carry some sickness insurance for sure. I put him up for this race at a big price at the time but, as you say, he disappointed. They clearly still rate him and they thought he might give BDA a race before. Hendo doesn't tilt at windmills with this type.

I have to say I'm now a wee bit worried for Apple's Jade. Elliott's runners so far aren't doing themselves justice.

Still, I have a freebie which is on her.

Well done Espoir d’Allen backers. Shame Buveur came down an Apple’s Jade never looked comfortable

Fvck me gently. Talk about a race falling apart...

First impression and I’m trying to not talk out of my pocket but that would have been a JP 1-2 there 100% if buveir stayed up. Too far out to say but he couldn’t have run as bad as Apple’s did.

Winner travelled great but holy hell the 2 mares died a death

Laurina looked to be travelling so well

Buvi not quite as slick over his hurdles

GE horses under a cloud? Not seeing out their races

Last edited:
Back