The Road To The 2021 Champion Hurdle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna win the Champion though is he!

Either wins it on the snaff or comes no where, just seems to be sublime or awful. I wouldnt like to be laying him to be honest.

It's funny, 3 weeks ago it was such a 'meh' Champion Hurdle, looks like a belter now, there have been better quality CH's but not many as intriguing

Very Rare I cheer a horse over the last hurdle that vigorously, without a penny on. Really enjoyed that today. Great to finally see that spark again that we saw in the triumph last year. Champion hurdle really is shaping up to be one hell of a race now

Sometimes your emotional feeling for a horse takes over and throws reasoned judgement out of the window. For me, Goshen is such a horse and I could no more analyse his Champion Hurdle prospects objectively than I could fly. Just blind faith - he owes me a lot from last year (less after today) but he’ll carry more.

Either wins it on the snaff or comes no where, just seems to be sublime or awful. I wouldnt like to be laying him to be honest.

It's funny, 3 weeks ago it was such a 'meh' Champion Hurdle, looks like a belter now, there have been better quality CH's but not many as intriguing

Not sure about the snaff. Do agree though that he'll either run a blinder or finish nowhere.

For me, Goshen is such a horse

Yes. That was surely clear to all and sundry after the triumph.

Maybe nine times out of ten a horse with his profile would have never come back to his best, but I've always felt he is a one in a hundred or one in a thousand horse.

He's still a only young horse too. Thank goodness he's over his apparent problem.

Some say he's a win or be pulled up type, but he's only been beaten twice over hurdles: Once in the triumph when unlucky then once the last day when clearly something was amiss.

Hopefully it's onwards and upwards for him now.

It'll take a very good hurdler to beat him assuming he's past his whatever the problem's been that he's had this past year.

Maybe Honeysuckle or Epatante turn out to be that horse, maybe not.

Last edited:
There aren't too many horses that can pull for a mile and kick for home 4f out. Burst Navajo Pass before turning in. Today he was tractable and jumped straight. Can see him getting first crack at Not So Sleepy in the Champion. It will hurt any horse to get by on today's or last year's form. If it comes up heavy, he'll win.

There is that but he seems to have performances that 90% of hurdlers don't have. He's tricky to be dogmatic about.

The fact his price has collapsed and will likely shorten more would put me off even more

Also, he needs space in racing, not the bravest. 4 weeks will be nothing like today

I'd be confident that he will run his race at Cheltenham. Moore didn't do himself or the horse any favours running him on the flat when unfit. You'd like to think they learned plenty from the international. If he gets beaten it will be because he won't be good enough.

There aren't too many horses that can pull for a mile and kick for home 4f out. Burst Navajo Pass before turning in. Today he was tractable and jumped straight. Can see him getting first crack at Not So Sleepy in the Champion. It will hurt any horse to get by on today's or last year's form. If it comes up heavy, he'll win.

Let's hope so....

I just placed a £15 each way patent costing £210 all NRNB for Cheltenham.

I was torn whether to do the patent win, but with Goshen at 5s, the other two horses at 10's and 16's, I had to do it each way.

Goshen at 5/1 was just about okay for the each way patent.

Last edited:
I think the market will now call bullshit on Epatante. She could go off 3rd fav.

2 things to consider, the runner up didn't act on the heavy ground and Goshen has never ran on anything better than soft.....makes him tough to judge.

Epatante beat Shrjah last year byt Honeysuckle seem a much better horse...she has to run the sting out of Epatante and to do that she needs to improve IMO

She'd have no chance on a line through Darver Star most of her win are over 2m4f andshe certainly has mor stamina than finishing speed.

If Nico is withing a length of her at the last..which is the big if she should have way toomuch toe.......I reckon going for home before 2 out in the Champion Hurdle is Honeysuckles best chance of winning.......Goshen I wouldn't back at 5/1 he should at least show a profit if placed and should be around 8/1 imo

Her form doesn't amount to much. She faces a far better field this year. 3/1 looks short.

Looks a 2 horse race to me but if their is to be a surprise I think it will come from Buvi....Wouldn't be the first time Nicky Henderson has brought one back from the dead

The problem for Epatante this year is the pace they’ll go. It’s going to be a hot race given at least three credible horses are going to want to be leading at various points.

Epatante relies on her finishing kick, and this renewal is going to be won by the horse that grinds it out the best. Epatante is easily my biggest winner in the race, but I fear that the events and results over the last three weeks are more likely to make her my biggest loser, so I’ll be spending the next three weeks adjusting my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back