The Road To The 2021 Champion Hurdle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say the same about that race as I would Kempton. In fact a number of races over the last few days. The Champion Hurdle isn’t won at Christmas. It’s noticeable that some are writing horses off on the basis of one run. There will be very few Festival winners that spend the whole season unbeaten. Usually two or three each season.

The old Betfair hurdle at Newbury in February might prove a Champion Hurdle trial at this rate.

******* joke.

I covered with Sharjah for probably just about a third of my money back. My biggest ever loser. When you think you’re flying and doing well, you can soon come crashing bsck down.

In similar vein to maruco, with Sire Du Berlais, Epatante and Saint Roi underperforming, the chances are they haven't been targeting these races too seriously and will be different animals in the Spring.

If they're allowed over...

My general rule of thumb in racing is to only back improving handicappers in Grade 1's when they're decent prices, or under bet so therefore 'value' in some sense. This hasn't made me rich by any means but I haven't lost that much with this theory either.

That improving handicapper that won the 3M Christmas Hurdle in Ireland yesterday was a prime example.

Saint Roi was only ever a good county hurdle winner, hyped out of all recognition on the back of one handicap hurdle and probably over bet in both starts this season.

Last edited:
In similar vein to maruco, with Sire Du Berlais, Epatante and Saint Roi underperforming, the chances are they haven't been targeting these races too seriously and will be different animals in the Spring.

If they're allowed over...

I thought Saint Roi settled nicely and jumped well. I'm not giving up on him but I'd need the 12/1 that was quoted on the thread.

He’ll be a much better horse held up off a strong pace in March. 12/1 is a stonking each way price for anyone not already on him.

He’ll be a much better horse held up off a strong pace in March. 12/1 is a stonking each way price for anyone not already on him.

I did get that feeling as he was a bit awkward at some of his hurdles when they weren't going that quickly.

Not saying he will win, come March, but 12/1 is a fair price.

Patrick has just won on Sharjah, but said they believe Saint Roi is a lot better than that.

Aspire Tower franks the triumph hurdle form again.

Christ almighty can you please get the old Goshen back Gary Moore.

Either that or I'm waiting to see what the Betfair Hurdle throws up this year.

Last edited:
Saint Roi has no excuses. His stable is lights out this meeting.
Abacadabras has much better Festival form and Elliot's are running below form. He's also a bigger price than Saint Roi. I'ts obvious where the bet is.

Saint Roi has no excuses. His stable is lights out this meeting.
Abacadabras has much better Festival form and Elliot's are running below form. He's also a bigger price than Saint Roi. I'ts obvious where the bet is.

20s

Aspire fit for his life there Marb. In fact he looked very light. I’d suggest that was probably his Champion Hurdle.

I wouldn’t write Saldier off after that. He was as fat as a pig.

The one concerning run was Abacadabras. Gordon’s have been running pretty flat, but that was as poor as anything that was trying over Christmas.

Kennedy gave abac a bad ride there and was in an impossible possy to challenge

I think people saying SR wasn't right today need to reconsider

Aspire Tower to jump that bad and be only turning 5 was a fine showing

Henry will have to consider the champion for the mare.

If she wins in Feb, it would be criminal to ignore

Last edited:
Aspire fit for his life there Marb. In fact he looked very light. I’d suggest that was probably his Champion Hurdle.

I wouldn’t write Saldier off after that. He was as fat as a pig.

The one concerning run was Abacadabras. Gordon’s have been running pretty flat, but that was as poor as anything that was trying over Christmas.

Paul you know more about horses than me.

What is Goshens heart problem and has he got any chance of getting treated for it?

10L up and cantering all over Aspire Tower plus the rest of the Triumph field he was.

I don't think I've seen a hurdling performance of that calibre since then.

Last edited:
I'm going to back Goshen sometime in the run up to his next hurdle run, which could be in a few weeks.

I could be wrong but 20's is worth a go. If Gary Moore thinks he's over it and ready to roll again I'll take one final chance on Goshen.

Looking at the chaotic anti-post market I don't think I could do much worse.

Last edited:
Paul you know more about horses than me.

What is Goshens heart problem and has he got any chance of getting treated for it?

10L up and cantering all over Aspire Tower plus the rest of the Triumph field he was.

I don't think I've seen a hurdling performance of that calibre since then.

It was one off flashy and everything since then and the general record of juvi's would be more than enough to put me off for life

Last edited:
Feb 6th At Sandown in the Contenders Hurdle should be his next outing.

We'll see what Gary Moore and co say in the run up to that.

Last edited:
No excuses Saint Roi. Hugely disappointing.

The Champion Hurdle can go fu*ck itself. I hope they all get beat.

Christ almighty can you please get the old Goshen back Gary Moore.

Either that or I'm waiting to see what the Betfair Hurdle throws up this year.

Aspire Tower ran too free in the Triumph...it was totally not his running!

Yes, the form has been franked again but arguably to no better a level than we thought at the time.

I had him on 146 for the Triumph and he's entitled to improve 10lbs into his second season pluse he was getting 3lbs from the older horses today so he's probably run to expectations, ie good but not good enough.

Goshen is a different matter altogether, entitled to be 10lbs better again too but his racecourse appearances so far suggest the fall has either sickened him or the trainer has gone wrong with him somewhere along the line.

He's a barge pole job for me until the evidence suggests otherwise.

Coming back to Aspire Tower, it's possible he didn't actually run his race in the Triumph. He went into the race on a mark of 152 (UK), which is above average, but was dropped to 145 (Ire) for his reappearance when he was getting 6lbs off Aba. He emerged from that race slightly inferior and was back up to 155 today, plus he got 3lbs* so was entitled to beat anything rated 157 or less, which he's pretty much done.

*the allowance doesn't apply in the UK.

Edit - typing that while Maxbet was posting.

Last edited:
It's just with the state of the anti post market I can't rule out Goshen in March, DO.

A long way off though, and I don't blame you for wanting to see the evidence of a return to form before considering him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back