The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

When did you strike the bet....

I have doubles with Coko Beach and they have not been settled.....
I had cloth Cap with several in the Welsh National and they didn't settle...

About midday yesterday after the 48 hour confirmations. Maybe only ante post bets they carry over then.

Your bet is S.P....3 days before the race is not ante-post

I know that. I'm on about yours.

Maybe ante post bets they carry over to a rescheduled meeting (same course) but SP bets they don't. But btw 3 days before is ante post. 2 days before, i.e. after 48 hours confirms are in isn't

Last edited:
It was Hills, placed under SP rules and they didn't. They voided it first thing today

I am talking ante-post Wilson.

your bet was S.P

Different bookmakers have different rules for their ante-post markets.

Bet365 settle once the meeting doesn't go ahead...Hills, Ladbrokes..keep your money until the race has no chance of taking part. if it's moved to another venue, then they void it!

Last edited:
I said as much in post #476, i.e. that they must carry over ante post bets then but not SP bets but then you continued the discussion.

Altior goes straight to Festival to avoid a hard race, but Champ gets launched into a Grade 2 chase around a mile shorter than ideal, after 11 months off, and he’s not concerned about a hard race?

What a fu*cking clown.

Altior goes straight to Festival to avoid a hard race, but Champ gets launched into a Grade 2 chase around a mile shorter than ideal, after 11 months off, and he’s not concerned about a hard race?

What a fu*cking clown.

Just for jumping practice, I guess.

What a fu*cking clown.

Champ wouldn't need to have a hard race at 2m. It's like a 12f Flat horse making its reappearance over a mile three weeks before its target. Stay in its comfort zone, hit 90% maximum for a furlong and ease down, well beaten. Price goes out a couple of points. Cobwebs blown away.

Notice he says Cheltenham, not, Straight to the Queen Mother chase...

No he doesn't

"In a statement, Henderson said: "With regards to Altior and Champ, under the current circumstances and having discussed the situation in detail with all connections involved, we have come to the conclusion that Altior will head straight to the Cheltenham Festival for the Champion Chase without a run beforehand."

Where's Simmo?

Hope he's alright.

I just know what he'd say to Nicky about this.

Suck my fat **** in it. :)

Overreach or a stone step two days before the race again...

A horse that jumps like Champ could get a ‘hard race’ just trying to go along at 2m pace, DO.

If this was in any way a legit approach/preparation for a prospective Gold Cup horse, we’d have seen it before. There is even a steeplechase at 3m on the same card, that he is choosing to swerve.

It is fu*cking farcical.

Last edited:
Henderson’s reasoning.

“He hasn’t run for a year, so we could be in danger that three miles may be slightly too far for his first run of the season. He is a fresh horse and can be quite free in his races, so it would be harder to curtail enthusiasm and you’re never going to take as much out over two miles as you are over three.

“He could be keen and do too much, so in the interest of the Gold Cup being his ultimate goal, it is preferable to run over a shorter distance, which could stop him having a harder race than necessary and also help eliminate the risk of the bounce factor.

“He was a very useful horse over two and two and a half miles last season and I think that the Game Spirit could suit him well, both in the short term and the long term.”

A horse that jumps like Champ could get a ‘hard race’ just trying to go along at 2m pace, DO.

As I say, I'm working on the assumption he won't be asked to go 2m pace. He won't be asked to leave his comfort zone other than for a short-lived effort around two out, at which point the leaders might well be away anyway.

He's reportedly been schooling very well but I would have reservations about his jumping, antoher reason for believing he'll just be allowed to do his own thing.

It's really going to be no more than a racecourse gallop for him.

Back