The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Shortest in the Ryan Air market than any of the other!!!!
Assuming we're talking Kemboy not Melon, Willie has said post race that the Stayers Hurdle is a possibility. Obviously, we have to consider the Gold Cup but today will surely have knocked the Ryanair on the head.

Melon, on the other hand, is almost certain to finish second in the Ryanair.

Assuming we're talking Kemboy not Melon, Willie has said post race that the Stayers Hurdle is a possibility.

He made it sound more of a probability than a possibility.

I've been encouraging the brother to lay off his Kemboy bet.

To my eye, apart from the fact that Minella Indo seems to have lost his confidence jumping, he doesn't truly stay either.
He was legless in last years RSA and the petrol gauge was on empty today along with the other non stayer in the field.
I know he won the Albert Bartlett, but in years gone by My Way De Solzen won a stayers hurdle but didn't truly stay 3 miles over fences.
I'd go for the Ryanair or switch him back to hurdles.

If I were Ricci the performance of Monkfish would leave me in no doubt to aim Royal Pagaille at this. Bigger prize and arguably easier to win.

I don't think it a big concern. Year older. He wasted so much energy in his AB but wasn't stopping.

My bigger concern would be seeing him get around safely the next day and where they actually pitch him in

You still convinced about the trip?

If I were Ricci the performance of Monkfish would leave me in no doubt to aim Royal Pagaille at this. Bigger prize and arguably easier to win.

True, and no point until waiting the extra year and then have to tackle Envoi and Monkfish.

Considering the lack of credible opposition to Al boum, who himself we can only take on trust, then tbhey have to take their chance with Royal Pagaille, the NHC with Galvin and probably Latest Exhibition now as well isnt exactly a penalty kick so I think they will take their chances here, soft ground and himself and Native River going at it from the front would be some slog!

2022 Gold Cup?

No, I am saying that connections of Royal Pagaille will be tempted to go for this years Gold Cup, the normal temptation would be to wait until 2022 as he is still technically a novice, however as next years race is already looking a much stronger renewal - I know 13 monhs is a long time and a lot can change - it makes sense to pitch him in this year.

No, I am saying that connections of Royal Pagaille will be tempted to go for this years Gold Cup, the normal temptation would be to wait until 2022 as he is still technically a novice, however as next years race is already looking a much stronger renewal - I know 13 monhs is a long time and a lot can change - it makes sense to pitch him in this year.

I was asking who you would fancy between the two.

Fully get the temptation to go for Gold with Royal Pagaille.

Both horses are 7 years old and still novices , RP has more experience but if I had to choose who would be most likely to win this years Gold Cup its a no brainer -The Monk

To my eye, apart from the fact that Minella Indo seems to have lost his confidence jumping, he doesn't truly stay either.
I'd go for the Ryanair or switch him back to hurdles.

You can't just go back to hurdling after a disappointing run or two. Can you imagine that happening back in the day with one of those old fashioned trainer's of staying chasers like Captain Tim Forster.
Now I would say a return to forcing tactics and getting back to Cheltenham might help but he'd have competition for the lead. Stamina is not an issue, we see that from his Albert Bartlett win. He needs to jump better but I don't know if a Gold Cup is the race to recapture that skill.

You can't just go back to hurdling after a disappointing run or two. Can you imagine that happening back in the day with one of those old fashioned trainer's of staying chasers like Captain Tim Forster.
Now I would say a return to forcing tactics and getting back to Cheltenham might help but he'd have competition for the lead. Stamina is not an issue, we see that from his Albert Bartlett win. He needs to jump better but I don't know if a Gold Cup is the race to recapture that skill.

It was just a thought, the horse has clearly lost confidence in his jumping.
The stamina thing to me is obvious, like I say My Way De Solzen won a stayers hurdle and didn't stay 3 miles over fences.
Either that or maybe the RSA form from last year isn't as strong as we first thought?

Thought it was a poor ride from Rachel on Minella Indo yesterday.

She gave far too much rope to a very good horse, and had to use everything in the tank to try and get on terms, after the mistake before the straight.

Hard to see past Al Boum Photo bringing-up the treble, unless Champ does something extraordinary at Newbury.

She gave far too much rope to a very good horse, and had to use everything in the tank to try and get on terms, after the mistake before the straight.

Hard to see past Al Boum Photo bringing-up the treble, unless Champ does something extraordinary at Newbury.

Totally agree; moreover, Mullins gave away a clue on how to beat him...said Melon and Kemboy did for each other against A Plus Tard...they missed an opportunity there...

After the RSA, I'd categorically not say for certain but someone wiser than me told me a horse will stay further over fences than hurdles so I think he'll be fine.

Not a good prep mind.
Generally speaking this is true. Horses have to slow down more when jumping fences, so the tempo is not as relentlessly high.

So 2m on the flat requires more stamina than 2 miles over hurdles, which in turn requires more stamina than 2 miles over fences.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

I'd say the form of yesterdays race was pretty moderate overall. Didn't think kemboy enjoyed the ground and didn't jump as well as he can. Getting in tight alot and giving some too much air. In top form he would beat the storyteller further.

Delta work jumped terrible, melon didnt jump great and would be better ridden more aggressively over an intermediate trip.

Minealla indo looked to be jumping best of the lot to me up until 2 out. Strangely he had just started to come under pressure. I am coming around to the view that last years RSA was not so hot after all.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

He obviously sets the standard for sure but A Plus Tard is the unexposed one. 1/1 over 3 miles with yesterday’s winner behind and we know he likes the new course.

Back