The Road to the Grand National 2011

http://www.racingpost.com/news/hors...hest-profile-national-withdrawals/837195/top/

Synchronised out
Notre Pere out

Midnight Chase, Scotsirish, Ballytrim, Nedzer's Return, Frankie Figg and One Cool Cookie all withdrawn.

Who will go off favourite for the Grand National?
Victor Chandler: 11-8 The Midnight Club, 10-3 What A Friend, 4 Don't Push It, 6 Backstage (from 14), Oscar Time,10 Ballabriggs, 14 Big Fella Thanks, 20 bar

At the prices, I think Ballabriggs might be a punt for fav. Probably just because I think he has a great chance, though. I don’t have a VC account, and the only shop I know closed down (near Stephen’s Green).

I haven’t had a bet on the race itself, yet, but my shortlist is:

Ballabriggs
Oscar Time
Arbor Supreme
Majestic Concorde
Grand Slam Hero

I think What A Friend will go off fav - Paul Nicholls trained - supposedly 15lb well in and every housewife and once a year punter will go for the name.

Nice article, Little Polvier's year was the first time I remember watching the National on tv. Worked at the course when I was at uni and the atmosphere is something else. As much as the horses and the race itself, just the amount of people that go. I know other places especially Cheltenham get packed out but I think it might be because there's always such huge queues of people waiting to get back on the trains and all the local women dressed up as if they're going to Royal Ascot. Most memorable winner whilst I was there was probably Bindaree. We saw Amberleigh House but were rather too taken with Hedgehunter's fall at the last to pay too much attention which in hindsight is a bit of a shame.

I think it's a surprisingly weak National -I'm not sure if I should back Ballabriggs each way or do a back to lay on Betfair.

I thought the National meeting was rubbish to be honest - If you're going with a big group of lads or lasses and want to drink the whole day then it's great but if you actually want to watch the race itself you're better off staying at home...

I really like the Aintree Festival as a whole but if I was going back it wouldn't be on the saturday (Aintree is a nice course generally but you can barely see the national course from the stands so it's a bit pointless, you can't see that much of the Mildmay either unless you're in the stands).

Thursday at Aintree is the best day's racing of the year bar none.

I used to enjoy going to the Friday back in the day when I was trying to get my hole.

We used to leave the track straight after the National to get the train back to Liverpool in peace and avoid the crowds on the Saturday. Some of the lads just stayed watching it in the pub.

My neighbour, a very convivial ex-publican's wife who used to go racing a lot, will have to back VIC VENTURI. She only backs horses using two-word names beginning with the same letter. THE MIDNIGHT CLUB for me, and that was way before he went off fave.

Same here. I backed The Midnight Club before his latest run so got 20s but Silver by Nature stands out like a sore thumb if the rain arrives.

Last edited:
Hey, another coincidence! I'm very, very fond of SBN, but I just don't know if the rain IS arriving? It would make all the diff. Congrats on the 20s - stunning, even if you didn't pick up the earlier 33s!

Have to agree with whoever said it's a weak National - it's been steadily improving in depth of quality in recent years but, for whatever reason, this lacks real strength.

A few stand out a mile on the handicap..obvious to state the point, but Midnight Club and Quinz spring to mind. Have experience concerns about both, but Ruby factor is huge for steering TMC around.

Have cooled on Our Monty slightly - I like Katie Walsh but the jockey booking would suggest a certain lack of confidence. You'd have to imagine Casey had a choice, given that he's picked up the second best Mullins National horse in the past..

Can any of the 11 year olds actually win? Plenty who should run a sound race but...age factor has to be a concern.

Backstage is obviously well fancied but his build-up is just so unorthodox, it's impossible to draw any conclusions from it.

Not a fan of Bluesea Cracker - would be inclined to think Oscar Time can reverse National form, although some seem to think that Oscar won't get home.

Calgary Bay, Northern Alliance and West End Rocker have to be on the shortlist, as alternatives to Midnight Club..

The first two have a fair bit of class and if they get the trip, they will run well. Geraghty is a superb addition for Northern Alliance.

Calgary Bay - don't know very much about Hadden Frost - but the horse is definitely worthy of respect. Trainer doesn't strike me as the kind to aim one at a Grand National lightly.

West End Rocker should be staying on and is nicely weighted.

Taken 48 about Tidal Bay. He is the type of horse who could really take to the fences. I can see him being woken up by this challenge like he was when he took the Arkle after looking a dodgepot before hand.

I'm going to put up several filthy, three-figure requests about Tidal Bay in-running. I reckon I'll get everything matched somewhere between Bechers and Valentines second-time-round.

Hel be a goner early or really go well I would be thinking. He might really throw the toys out of the pram is my gut feeling though.

My three against the field.

Ballabriggs
Oscar Time
Quinz - currently my most likely bet - loved the horse at Kempton , I know he is only a seven year old but he looks as tough as boots, super jumper and the deity that is Richard Johnson rides him - the most under-rated, under the radar straighforward jock around. Love Hobb's as a trainer too.. so straightforward and seems like a decent fella - they are due a big one!!

The handicapper has been a bit rough on Vic Venturi. I really liked him for the race last year and nothing went right for him. He could have done with a few pounds off him this year.

Well I've narrowed it down to four, usually I back about four so that will do for now, but I'll look further on Friday night. The four are; Ballabriggs, Backstage, Oscar Time and BecauseIcouldntsee.

My three against the field.

Ballabriggs
Oscar Time
Quinz - currently my most likely bet - loved the horse at Kempton , I know he is only a seven year old but he looks as tough as boots, super jumper and the deity that is Richard Johnson rides him - the most under-rated, under the radar straighforward jock around. Love Hobb's as a trainer too.. so straightforward and seems like a decent fella - they are due a big one!!

Me and the lads met Hobbs in Liverpool one year after a feed of pints, and he was great value. We spoke to him about Flagship Uberalles.

Back