The Road to the Grand National 2011

Yes tout. The age thing shouldnt mean too much these days anyway. Take that away and the other factors look good

Thank the lord Barry is on Or Noir De Somoza in case a finish is needed and the horse needs a bit of assistance from the saddle :whistle:

Last edited:
Well done the Chef with ALWAYS WAINING - where are you off to for your hols? ;) Considering he can be in and out over smaller obstacles, it's amazing how he comes alive with the Aintree stuff, especially as he's quite a small horse compared to most of his competitors. So a big pat on the back, SC, for keeping with him.

It always pleases me to see how really well the horses take to these big fat obstacles, tackling the variety of angle, drop, width and height with gusto. Okay, so some fall on landing, but then they do that all the time over the regular stuff. I can hear a sharp intake of breath from Shadow Leader at this point, but I'll say it again - horses enjoy being challenged (hence my adoration of the Cheltenham X-country and French chasing). There will be some who can't handle these objects, but just look at how many do, with such zest. If only we'd do it more often.

After the demise of my original fancy One Cool Cookie, I'll probably go for Killyglen, although I've been told Majestic Concorde will win...

How many horses do you think will start 14/1 or shorter? Could be as many as 8-10 I reckon, Skybet offer 5/4 the winning sp is under 16/1, much better than coupling the first 8 or so.

After the demise of my original fancy One Cool Cookie, I'll probably go for Killyglen, although I've been told Majestic Concorde will win...

How many horses do you think will start 14/1 or shorter? Could be as many as 8-10 I reckon, Skybet offer 5/4 the winning sp is under 16/1, much better than coupling the first 8 or so.

You never miss a trick Steve!

I agree Kri, when the horses take to the fences it's an amazing sight watching them. Hope everyone comes back safely today.

Am off to Lingfield, but will be e/w backing Killyglen and Niche Market.

Also think both Tidal Bay and Character Building could run big races, but won't be backing them!

Backstage for me. And Big Fella Thanks has to be backed e/w at 20/1. Stamina obviously a worry, but a year on and a year stronger, he should improve on last year's 4th and make the frame at least.

I said earlier this week I'll be backing Backstage, Oscar Time, Ballabriggs and Becauseicouldntsee - nothing has changed my mind since then so that's what I've done. Hopefully a couple will be in the 5.

Calgary Bay @ 40-1 [Bet365]

Each Way..one of the best jumpers in the race

Be a great story as his jockey is the much maligned Hadden Frost!

Andrew Mcnamara has an excellent win record on Bluesea Cracker (2/3) including the Irish National and rides again today. JP Mcmanus buying the horse two weeks ago could be the writing on the wall and I'll be surprised if he's still a 20's chance by off-time.

Victor Chandler's site is creaking under the load. 6 places is killing it. I can't deposit at the moment.

Victor Chandler's site is creaking under the load. 6 places is killing it. I can't deposit at the moment.

Top tip - don't try and deposit using the deposit button (and the vccashier function). Just add the selections to the betslip, click bet and use the quick deposit facility. It went straight through.

However hard I tried, I couldn't get my shortlist below seven horses. Interestingly only two of them were in the top seven in the market.

So I've backed them all each-way - what the hell.

However hard I tried, I couldn't get my shortlist below seven horses. Interestingly only two of them were in the top seven in the market.

So I've backed them all each-way - what the hell.

I had 6 but wanted to get it down to 4 for tricaasts/forecasts and ew singles so knocked out Silver by Nature and Golden Kite so theres a nice RFC for someone :D

Silver By Nature reminds me of Earth Summit and the thing about that horse is it was more a marathon trip he needed than cut in the ground. He won a Scottish National on fast ground. Hopefully that will apply to Silver By Nature also.

As well as that horse I have Tidal Bay, What a Friend and I backed The Midnight Club at 20/1 before his last run.

I looked at Arbor Supreme because he looked a good type for the race the last day but he doesn't look that tidy over his fences. Don't think he'll get round.

Back