The Road to the Grand National 2011

Does anyone know which of the 10.4 horses are more likely to get into the race? Is it based on current OR rating? I very much want Character Building to get a run again as I think he's in very good form this year.

I'd relax, all of the 10.4s are going to get in there's bound to be several withdrawals above that mark.

Have had a look at the entries, and there are very few that will come out. Midnight Chase, Vic Venturi, Skippers Brig, Piraya, Santa Son, Quolibet and That's Rythm may not run, looking at Betfair and the odds.

So I think it is likely that Royal Rosa and below will struggle to get in

Frankie Figg getting in would give once a year horse racing fans one hell of a spectacle.

Is right, he can jump a fence!!

My idea of the winner of this race is backstage, Gordon elliot has been campaigning him in point to points to help his mark and I thought he was going lovely last year when tipping up.

You'd have one Wylie horse miles in front and one bringing up the rear [dear old Tidal Bay!].

You'd have one Wylie horse miles in front and one bringing up the rear [dear old Tidal Bay!].

Only until 2nd Valentines, moehat, at which point Tidal Bay will come with a withering run, ultimately scything them all down in the shadow of the post - to large cheers form SteveM and Grasshopper. :whistle:

Is right, he can jump a fence!!

My idea of the winner of this race is backstage, Gordon elliot has been campaigning him in point to points to help his mark and I thought he was going lovely last year when tipping up.
If you like the profile of Backstage it's worth taking a look at Nedzer's Return who was cruising in the Aintree Foxhunters last year when unshipping Simon McGonagle at the Canal Turn - not run since the Kerry National and is sure to appreciate the good ground, the trip however is another matter but at 50/1 I don't mind paying to find out :)

If your horse is balloted out, do you get Betfair bets back?

Yep.

Please be aware that in some Antepost markets it is possible for more horses to be declared than the field safety limit allows and as such this market may have balloted out horses. Bets on such horses will be void.

I've backed Our Monty at nice prices to be placed, he needs a few to come out, so fingers crossed he gets a run. I watched this fella make his debut for the Mullins yard at Limerick 2 years ago, always struck me a National type. Hasn't run since winning the Cork National in 2009, but by all accounts he's fit 'n raring to go for Aintree.:ninja::ninja:

There is a fair bit of rain due between now and Tuesday at Aintree. Not a huge amount, but a lot of quick-moving fronts.

However, the weather is forecast to get warm and sunny from the middle of next week, so unless the rain over the next 4 days delivers hugely, we won't be looking at a soft ground National.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting up Chris Cook's article, Bar - for anyone who's been there, I bet that brings back the thrill of recognition. I don't think you can beat the noise of chasing, especially in big fields. I always recommend newbies go stand as near to any jump that they can, so as to hear the amazing noise of horses knocking the kickboards, the sound of them brushing through the fences, the yells of jockeys and the thwacks of whips. Even round the little gaffs like Plumpton, you still pick up a sense of the speed and effort, overhearing "KEEP OUT!" yelled by a jock up the rails to one coming in too close, "Ya going?" and an encouraging "GAAaaaahhh!" to the horse. It must be cacophony during the hurly-burly of the National.

What a wonderful article, and it even mentioned Little Polveir [I was there] and Lean Ar Aghaidh [missed him by a year, but he always stood out in my memory as the horse that would overtake several others at each fence by his superb jumping; still can't spell his name without help, though]. Interested to know what Chris's outsiders are next week. We're [hopefully] meeting Bob Champion on Tuesday if he's better, along with Josh Gifford. It's out Grand National preview and lots of the old jockeys come along [it's become an annual get together]. Our 'leader' Chris Pitt will have his new book, 'Go Down to the Beaten' [quick plug] which I can't wait to buy. I sat next to John Buckingham one year [what a nice man he is]. Can't wait! [and, yes; we always watch at least one race from the fence; how people can just stay inside for the duration is beyond me..in fact, we avoid tracks where we can't get close to the fences, hence our love of Kelso and Bangor]

Last edited:
Many a reference to "Lean on the Aga" to be found, Moehat, probably by others who've given up trying to remember how to spell it!

...thats what the owners used to call him as well[ they were were aga saga'y people as well]; was so emotional when he came out and won the Foxhunters. Justice was done that day.

Last edited:
http://www.racingpost.com/news/hors...hest-profile-national-withdrawals/837195/top/

Synchronised out
Notre Pere out

Midnight Chase, Scotsirish, Ballytrim, Nedzer's Return, Frankie Figg and One Cool Cookie all withdrawn.

Who will go off favourite for the Grand National?
Victor Chandler: 11-8 The Midnight Club, 10-3 What A Friend, 4 Don't Push It, 6 Backstage (from 14), Oscar Time,10 Ballabriggs, 14 Big Fella Thanks, 20 bar

At the prices, I think Ballabriggs might be a punt for fav. Probably just because I think he has a great chance, though. I don’t have a VC account, and the only shop I know closed down (near Stephen’s Green).

I haven’t had a bet on the race itself, yet, but my shortlist is:

Ballabriggs
Oscar Time
Arbor Supreme
Majestic Concorde
Grand Slam Hero

Last edited:
Back