The Stayer's Hurdle

Guest_

At the Start
Big Bucks is going to be very hard to beat but I am getting sweeter and sweeter on Tidal Bay. I cannot see him finishing out of the top three and I actually think he could really put it up to the favourite. Wish I took the decent prices straight after Saturday.

He had better form over fences than Big Bucks and probably possesses as much natural ability. I agree with you and think there's a good chance he can give Big Bucks a real race.

What chance did BB get to show what he might have been capable of over fences, though?

His late fall in the Hennessy didn't read badly and he improved massively over the smaller obstacles afterwards.

The fact that he wasn't a natural jumper of fences shouldn't be held against him in terms of assessing his ability as a hurdler. He's the best staying hurdler I've ever rated. I can't see Tidal Bay (or anything else so Tidal Bay may be a distant second best) getting near him.

I like Mourad, managed to get on at big prices before Pricewise opened his big gob. He came home very well in the triumph and stepped up to 2m4f well, winning easily. He's bred to win a classic, my only ante-post bet.

As far as taking on 'a good thing' for cheltenham is concerned, Big bucks is the one I want to take on.I agree Tidal bay will be thereabouts.

Last edited:
Big Bucks is going to be very hard to beat but I am getting sweeter and sweeter on Tidal Bay. I cannot see him finishing out of the top three and I actually think he could really put it up to the favourite. Wish I took the decent prices straight after Saturday.

Agree with every word (for once, this will have to stop!)

The 10s is still more than fair. How Karabak is shorter I'm not sure.

Tidal Bay is the same price (more or less) as Sentry Duty!!

What chance did BB get to show what he might have been capable of over fences, though?

His late fall in the Hennessy didn't read badly and he improved massively over the smaller obstacles afterwards.

The fact that he wasn't a natural jumper of fences shouldn't be held against him in terms of assessing his ability as a hurdler. He's the best staying hurdler I've ever rated. I can't see Tidal Bay (or anything else so Tidal Bay may be a distant second best) getting near him.

Perhaps you're right, but Karabak got close enough last month. I would expect Tidal Bay to beat Karabak well so i think Tidal Bay has every chance of bustling up the favourite.

I have backed him this evening as I cannot see him go off at the 10/1 mark come the day. How on earth is Karabak half his odds in places admirable horse that he is.

Like so many 'trial' races, the recent race in which Karabak got close-ish to Big Buck's shouldn't be taken at face value. That was more like a training gallop. The Cheltenham and Aintree form is the real form.

Punchestowns is the only hurdler capable of getting a smell of BB's &rse and it doesn't look like he'll be there.

I prefer Sentry Duty and Karabak rather than Tidal Bay for the second place.
Time For Rupert has also more scope than Tidal Bay.

Karabak is more likely to finish second. There is some small chance Tidal Bay could win on merit against an excuse free Big Bucks, you couldn't say that about Karabak.

I prefer Sentry Duty and Karabak rather than Tidal Bay for the second place.
Time For Rupert has also more scope than Tidal Bay.
Apart from the bit about Sentry Duty (imo flattered in an odd race last time and an almost certain non stayer over hurdles despite getting a trip on the flat), that's spot on. I'd happily take a shade of odds against on TFR if he met Tidal Bay again at levels.

I appreciate that Tidal Bay ran on well enough on Saturday but did I imagine, or not, a rather awkward head-carriage and an impression that he wasn't really enjoying it?

That was not Tidal Bay's ground on Saturday. On better ground I think he will comfortably out pace the horses he beat on Saturday again and Karabak.

Lie Forrit is still great value at the price, he wasn't right the last time and always pulls out for pressure, similiar to big bucks. He may not be as good as BB but I think he could easily get placed in what is a poor race apart from the favourite

Keep finding reasons for not backing BB guys. I remember this last year and finished up with a very tasty 6/1. We won`t get that this year of course but a repeat of the 3/1 we took earlier would be lovely. Tidal Bay will be about 6 lengths behind him in my view after they both charge up the hill outpacing the others

Lie Forrit is still great value at the price, he wasn't right the last time and always pulls out for pressure, similiar to big bucks. He may not be as good as BB but I think he could easily get placed in what is a poor race apart from the favourite
He won't run imo - Willie Amos now coming round to the idea of aiming him at the Pertemps Final. Expect him to run in the Rendlesham Hurdle first though - an impressive victory there may see connections change their plans again.

Karabak is more likely to finish second. There is some small chance Tidal Bay could win on merit against an excuse free Big Bucks, you couldn't say that about Karabak.

This seems right to me. Tidal Bay has a great engine, it's when he jumps a fence he can look a bit of a pig. I'm a huge fan of Karabak, but I'd agree that it is TB that has the squeak in getting to BB. Sentry Duty is another who will be contesting the places.

I'm still very strong on BB (backed at 7/4 against), but wouldn't be backing him odds on.

I've also had a bit on Karabak e.w. a while ago.

Anything else I do on the race will be place money on the day.

Last edited:
He won't run imo - Willie Amos now coming round to the idea of aiming him at the Pertemps Final. Expect him to run in the Rendlesham Hurdle first though - an impressive victory there may see connections change their plans again.

He'd be top weight, 3 miles round cheltenham's a big ask, also the place money in the world is attractive. I'd be amazed if they went for the pertemps. The trainer said he wasn't right last time, and I don't think he's a liar, it was too bad to be true.

3 miles round Cheltenham off top weight in the Pertemps Final a big ask? Less of a big ask than taking on Big Bucks off levels though.

I would be surprised if he went for the handicap given how his trainer has talked about him in recent weeks. He sounds like he thinks he could nick a place in the Stayers.

Back