The Stayer's Hurdle

Winner was ultra impressive and is miles better than this lot - but jaysus so many horses were going nowhere at the top of the hill.

Yes, terrific, but TIME FOR RUPERT is an adorable chap and he was the only one to nearly give BIG BUCKS a workout. Well done, Rupey!

Yes, terrific, but TIME FOR RUPERT is an adorable chap and he was the only one to nearly give BIG BUCKS a workout. Well done, Rupey!

Yes, never stopped trying as usual and was in a different league to the rest. Shame he had to come up against arguably the best horse in training.

Absolutely, Tree - he really went for the gusto all through the race, was fluent and neat, and yes, you're unfortunately right about finding one too good. (I won't go quite as far as your accolade, though!) I doubt the situation would reverse in future, too, which is a tad disappointing. BB is a real talent and looks gifted with good lungs and heart, so as long as he stays interested in the job, can't see who else in the long-range hurdles could offer a semi-serious challenge.

Oh, no! Poor wee darling. Was he struck into, or what happened? Was he going to Aintree - that'd be a wretched blow if he was.

BB is a real talent and looks gifted with good lungs and heart, so as long as he stays interested in the job, can't see who else in the long-range hurdles could offer a semi-serious challenge.

I think Zaynar would give him something to think about. He destroyed Karabak in a similar manner to the way BB has.

I think Zaynar would give him something to think about. He destroyed Karabak in a similar manner to the way BB has.

I think you could be right - Big Bucks is clearly a tremendous animal but he has not being beating the likes of a Baracouda, Iris's Gift or Inglis Drever. It really struck me today how literally everything bar the winner was off the bridle going nowhere (bar maybe the second) from a long long long way out - not a good sign of a race for me.

True, that would be something to see all right. Is a clash likely, Euro?

I hope Henderson goes for it. I notice he is quoted for the Champion but not the World for next year on Betfair, I hope they don't know something we don't. I think it will happen next season though.

Fabulous. I'm all for superstars, but when just one dominates a particular field (think, say, ISTABRAQ) you do yearn for a really close competitor to make it a good old ding-dong. And I do love a long-distance one!

Rupert is brave, and well done to them, great to see, but I just think Bucks different class, has an extra gear and after the race was not even blowing. Was thirsty though! :p War ran a blinder, wonderful that he was there, all credit to connections. Farewell to a real favourite.

Time For Rupert destroyed Karabak as well it is just that Big Bucks is exceptional. Assuming he actually stays three miles I would be surprised if Zaynar wasn't treated with equal disdain.

It seems highly likely Big Bucks will pursue the hat-trick which will probably mean that Time For Rupert will be jumping fences next season.

"What a lovely prospect Time For Rupert is for chasing - he's a lovely big animal and full of scope."

................but is his trainer likely to be up to the job?

He was up to the job of getting him a clear second in the World hurdle so I don't see why not. Lovely horse.

Big Buck's was imperious. A great animal and I loved Stewart's comments afterwards about being upside down by 7 o clock - I have a lot of time for him, and am always glad to see him have a winner.

Back