The Talking Horses National Hunt Cup

Given that some horses from the selections are declared non-runners, surely anyone who has chosen those particular NRs should declare their replacement selections by midnight tonight? Othwerwise the advantage to the home player ie, me, is nullified in those races.

Rules

Each competitor chooses one selection per race throughout the card at Cheltenham and must post them on here between now and 30 minutes before the first race Saturday.

5 points awarded for a winner, 3 points for a second, and 1 point for a third. A dead heat will mean the points are equally divided accordingly.

In case of a tie, then firstly the amount of winners, followed by seconds and then thirds will count, should this fail to separate then a profit to loss ratio will apply.

Non runners. If a horse is declared a NR then the player can replace it with a substitute before the race actually starts as long as it is recorded on here before the official off time of the race.

If away team players make their selections from the five day declarations and post them before the final decs Friday and they result in some non runners amongst them, then the non runners will be deemed unnamed favourites.

In order to determine home advantage for the next round, everyone must make selections in round 1, that includes those players that received a by, this should maintain interest for all and maximise involvement.

Home advantage really comes into play in the next round. It means that the players who score the highest get to choose the meeting in the next round against their new opponents, and the away player must post their selections by midnight of the Friday evening before.

Round 1 Saturday 25th January at the Cheltenham Trials Meeting.

Round 2 Saturday 8th February.

Round 3 Saturday 15th February.

Quarter finals Saturday 8th March.

Semi Finals over two days....Tuesday 11th March and Wednesday 12th March at the Cheltenham Festival.

The final over two days....Thursday 13th March and Friday 14th March at the Cheltenham Festival.

Two players have nominated unnamed Favs and although their is a proviso stipulated by Doomster, should they still result in a tie then a play off will take place next weekend.

Yes, so no advantage to the home player.

Sorry, Max, not having a pop - you're doing a great job, thanks.

Hi Len,
The way I perceive home advantage is:

* They get to pick the meeting.
* They get to post their selections up to 30 mins before the off.
* They know the other players selections before they pick their own.

I have tried to cover unforeseen circumstances but the only one's I cant cover are the unforeseen circumstances....lol

Everyone can pick a replacement for a non runner (a genuine one) up to 30 minutes before the off, but as you have stipulated, it is somewhat unfair to the home player if the away player posts non runners. When I say non runners I mean horses that are not declared at all.

So in order to take away any undeserved advantage I have made such selections as unnamed favourites in the rules.

I don't think anyone is deliberately seeking any advantage, most early posts have come because players are otherwise engaged, and if they understand the rules then we should be cool with it.

Hope that helps Len

Unamed Favs all races (if Joint Favs highest racecard number) EXCEPT

2.40 - Houblon Des Obeaux

Last edited:
I'm confused by this turn of events but it does make it more interesting. Just to be clear , I know I post early picks but only to puzzle my opponent.
Am I now on the Fav. in those races with N/Rs selected or can I reselect before midnight.

I'm confused by this turn of events but it does make it more interesting. Just to be clear , I know I post early picks but only to puzzle my opponent.
Am I now on the Fav. in those races with N/Rs selected or can I reselect before midnight.

You have to midnight mate...

I've just read through the rules and it looks like I'm on unnamed favs. Crap that's the last thing I wanted! Ok just seen your post Maxbet -clear to me now

Last edited:
Ascot was it ..well here goes then my worst yet
1) Act Alone N/R -Un Temps Pour Tout
2) Baby Shine
3) Burton Port N/R- Teaforthree
4) Virak N/R- Bourne
5) Captain Chris
6) Irish Cavalier N/R- Wilde Blue Yonder
7) Golantill N/R- No Dice

Last edited:
The pleasure seems to be all yours Mr.'M' I'm now regretting my selection method as your post tone sounds a tad confident .

Gowran Park

1.50 Leavethelighton
2.25 Bog Warrior
3.00 Sizing Machine
3.35 Un De Sceaux
4.10 Space Ship
4.40 Bell Weir
5.10 Gaillimh A Chroi

Good luck thehorsesmouth

Gowran Park

1.50 Leavethelighton
2.25 Bog Warrior
3.00 Sizing Machine
3.35 Un De Sceaux
4.10 Space Ship
4.40 Bell Weir
5.10 Gaillimh A Chroi

Good luck thehorsesmouth

Ascot choices in case Gowran is off

1.30 Irish Cavalier
2.05 Gevrey Chambertin
2.40 Teaforthree
3.15 Bourne
3.50 Medermit
4.20 Mountain King
4.50 Royal Vacation

Maruco sorry mate I thought I had till midday 2mo to select the meeting my bad.. Do u want to choose a meeting and il post my selections ASAP

I'm online for the next hour or so. If you want to still choose let me know. If not let's go with Haydock.

RODDY OWEN
fav
Ardkilly Witness
Fav
Virak
Rolling Aces.
fav
fav

Last edited:
Back