The Talking Horses National Hunt Cup

Great idea but we'll need a prize or it will get lost during Cheltenham week. I'll put up a £100 betting tank to the winner to punt in one or a number of bets during Aintree.

I'm in.

Good idea indeed. I'll match Slim and also put up £100 for Aintree (or Punchestown) betting tank to the winner.

Brilliant response folks but no panic to start just yet, If we get in the region of 64 starters then we have to start asap. I was thinking of revising the rules slightly. How would people vote if we had the semi finals over the first two days of the festival and the final over the last two?

First 9 people to vote will decide. thanks in advance.
A yes vote for the above recommendation would give us more time.

Last edited:
Brilliant response folks but no panic to start just yet, If we get in the region of 64 starters then we have to start asap. I was thinking of revising the rules slightly. How would people vote if we had the semi finals over the first two days of the festival and the final over the last two?

First 9 people to vote will decide. thanks in advance.
A yes vote for the above recommendation would give us more time.

Bear in mind a lot of us will be at the festival and pissed. Don't make things too difficult please

Rules amendment

Registration will stay open until Wed 22nd Jan 20.00 hours after which the draw will take place. I will take the entries as they have appeared on here and assign them 1,2,3 etc. I will then use a random number generator to do the draw and publish the results on Thursday evening. To be fair, the first round will see everyone compete at Cheltenham on the 25th January, there on after, the persons who score highest have home advantage in the next round and will get to choose the meeting. Two days notice of selected meeting needed.

Only one draw will take place and it will run through to the finals. Like the Tennis but without the seeds.

Each competitor chooses one selection per race.

5 points awarded for a winner, 3 points for a second, and 1 point for a third.
In case of a tie, then firstly the amount of winners, followed by seconds and then thirds will count.

If the entry numbers mean some competitors get a by, then in order to determine home advantage for the next round, everyone must make selections in round 1, this should maintain interest for all and maximise involvement.

Round 1 Saturday 25th January at the Cheltenham Trials Meeting.

Round 2 Saturday 8th February.

Round 3 Saturday 15th February.

Quarter finals Saturday 8th March.

Semi finals over two days....Tuesday 11th March and Wednesday 12th March at the Cheltenham Festival.

The final over two days....Thursday 13th March and Friday 14th March at the Cheltenham Festival.

Last edited:
Back