The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

Looking forward to the race, I'd love to see The New One win it. :)

Opening post on this thread

I suppose plenty will say The New One won't win the CH now as indicated by his generally available odds of 20-1, but if some of the more fancied horses fall by the wayside you never know. I guess with The New One about to race at Kempton the journey starts here.

My interpretation would be he was ridden to place and not win.

The lack of pace was ultimately against him with Ruby allowed his own way in front. Certainly wasn't ridden to place even if they thought that was what he was most capable of achieving.

Last edited:
This thread just wen't form the sublime to the ridiculous:blink:

He is ridden to gain the best possible place. Like every feckin horse should be. If LUKE really thinks the horse is being ridden to not WIN he needs to stay off the pills.

There is no way the New One can win this.We have seen time and again he gets taken off his feet and he hits that flat spot when he can't quicken with the real top class 2m.Granted this isn't vintage but between 2 and one out he'll get left behind by The principles again.

Are you serious........a leading contender in the van all the way round was being ridden for a place.

Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

Held up in touch in last pair, headway when not fluent 3 out, ridden after next, went 2nd last, edged right flat, kept on well, unable to reach winner

Hardly leading contender in the van ALL the way round is it?

We are talking about Artic Fire being ridden for a place because he is a "hound". Which is utter guff but everyone is welcome to an opinion.

He is ridden to gain the best possible place. Like every feckin horse should be. If LUKE really thinks the horse is being ridden to not WIN he needs to stay off the pills.

Its not exactly unprecedented at Cheltenham -horses being ridden for a place-Theatreworld being the prime example.

We are talking about Artic Fire being ridden for a place because he is a "hound". Which is utter guff but everyone is welcome to an opinion.

You haven't exactly made a compelling case for him being a tough as nails,game as a badger win at all costs type.Name his finest winning achievement.

Since when has having a horse sat at the back under a quiet ride, before gradually moving onto the heels of the leaders 3 out (where they make a mistake) before running on for second counted as being ridden for a place ?

Since when has having a horse sat at the back under a quiet ride, before gradually moving onto the heels of the leaders 3 out (where they make a mistake) before running on for second counted as being ridden for a place ?

You have to put it in the context of being against two superior stable mates.

Have you watched the race again recently Luke ?. Stupid question because I'm guessing you must have, but he moved into contention 3 out when about to make his challenge and for the life of me I don't see how that isn't classed as being competitive. If he was good enough from there he would have won, simple as and there's a vague argument for suggesting that if he hadn't clattered that hurdle - forcing him to be ridden at an earleir stage than ideal to get back into it - he may have won, given how he was catching Faugheen after the last

Have you watched the race again recently Luke ?. Stupid question because I'm guessing you must have, but he moved into contention 3 out when about to make his challenge and for the life of me I don't see how that isn't classed as being competitive. If he was good enough from there he would have won, simple as and there's a vague argument for suggesting that if he hadn't clattered that hurdle - forcing him to be ridden at an earleir stage than ideal to get back into it - he may have won, given how he was catching Faugheen after the last

Exactly - he is not good enough to beat Faugheen...and if he tried to serve it up to him he would go the same way as Nichols Canyon. But you can't call a horse a Hound for not trying to take on Faugheen. Personally for me Artic Fire is the 2nd best 2m hurdler at the moment. Britain has nothing to even look at and he just needs to do his job against IT and NC.

Watched 2015 Champion Hurdle again this morning.
WPM said in RUK interview that Arctic Fire was still not at full fitness as he was still showing no rib.
He spoke of maybe having a flat campaign and thought the horse was still improving quoting where he finished relative to Jezki and H Fly compared to Leopardstown.

What a difference 24 hours makes.
Post 778 1.35pm yesterday was "Faugheen out of CH "
Near 150 new posts since.

Last edited:
Could you call a horse a hound for not taking on Istabraq-maybe Theatreworld wasn't a hound ,he just needed good ground and a fast pace-even with that his wins/runs ratio was poor for a horse placed in multiple Champion Hurdles.

Back