Today's Fancy

Betting on a Monday is rarely a good idea.

I've given up midweek mostly now until the NH starts proper. There are too many bad handicaps and the ground has been all over the place this summer. Makes it very very difficult to make it pay. Roll on Dundalk. The racing last Saturday was pure filth. Sunday at the Curragh was decent but meetings like that are few are far between until November. This is always a tough time for me.

The 1.55 at Doncaster caught my attention when I say the declarations. I backed Alanza when she finally stepped up to 7f at Cork and she just about got away with it. I was against her last time at Tipperary when she again showed a turn of foot late to beat a good listed field. I still feel she will be best at a mile and for tomorrow she faces a filly with a real devastating turn of foot. I can see Chachamaidee, who looks ideally suited by 7f, getting first run and Alanza will be unable to bridge the gap. In my mind the betting should be the other way around. Alanza is a good filly but it will all happens too quickly for her tomorrow stepping up in class over 7f.

Last edited:
Can't disagree with you on the front two Gearoid but would be keen to take the pair of them on with the Henry Candy filly Flambeau - she started the season in sensational fashion with an amazing performance on the clock at Leicester before following up with a similar run in defeat at Lingfield. She's disappointed since then when arguably racing on the wrong part of the track and she may have her own way out in front. Either way she looks a solid enough E/W bet to me at 8/1 for a yard in form.

The 1.55 at Doncaster caught my attention when I say the declarations. I backed Alanza when she finally stepped up to 7f at Cork and she just about got away with it. I was against her last time at Tipperary when she again showed a turn of foot late to beat a good listed field. I still feel she will be best at a mile and for tomorrow she faces a filly with a real devastating turn of foot. I can see Chachamaidee, who looks ideally suited by 7f, getting first run and Alanza will be unable to bridge the gap. In my mind the betting should be the other way around. Alanza is a good filly but it will all happens too quickly for her tomorrow stepping up in class over 7f.

No excuses here. Alanza was good enough to give her first run and a beating. Impressive.

Kempton 4:10 Morning Muse

Brother-in-laws mate is doing some work at the stable as trainer is retiring. He told my brother-in-law that all the stable are on and trainers on big - blame my brother-in-law if it loses.

Brother-in-laws mate is doing some work at the stable as trainer is retiring. He told my brother-in-law that all the stable are on and trainers on big - blame my brother-in-law if it loses.

No Swedish - thats not how it works - we will blame you of course!!!:D

Ed Dunlops supposedly fancy theirs in it too, but best of luck Swedish.

Hurricane Ridge (Listowel 3.45) This horse is absolutly thrown in and the 2/1 still available makes him as strong a bet as you will find in a 2yo race in Ireland before the end of the year. I'm really surprised they have not aimed this horse a bit higher than a bad nursery in Listowel but than again didn't Treasure Beach...

Hurricane Ridge (Listowel 3.45) This horse is absolutly thrown in and the 2/1 still available makes him as strong a bet as you will find in a 2yo race in Ireland before the end of the year. I'm really surprised they have not aimed this horse a bit higher than a bad nursery in Listowel but than again didn't Treasure Beach...

Liked the look of Lady Geronimo on the softer surface but with the stable also having this fav it makes it difficult to back. May do the forecast.

Liked the look of Lady Geronimo on the softer surface but with the stable also having this fav it makes it difficult to back. May do the forecast.

I've had similar thoughts, have backed her w/o Hurricane Ridge and might do a forecast later.

The third didn't too much for the form at the weekend. I'd be interested in Condon's horse in this.

Last edited:
if something is not amiss with the favourite I'm putting the formbook away for a few weeks!

What form? The third was beaten out of sight at the weekend. The 2nd, incidentally runs at Listowel tomorrow. There was nothing else in the race.

Anyway, I'm claiming a moral victory with Condon's because, was it here I read that, Secretary of State was the horse that couldn't/wouldn't win!!!!

What form? The third was beaten out of sight at the weekend. The 2nd, incidentally runs at Listowel tomorrow. There was nothing else in the race.

Anyway, I'm claiming a moral victory with Condon's because, was it here I read that, Secretary of State was the horse that couldn't/wouldn't win!!!!

Fran Berry was after the horse before they turned in. He was eased to finish last. You can't seriously tell the horse has run to form and that's as good as he is?

Fran Berry was after the horse before they turned in. He was eased to finish last. You can't seriously tell the horse has run to form and that's as good as he is?

I haven't seen the race. My point was that while he made a pleasing debut, the form of that race had yet to be proven. The only one to come out of it, a close up 3rd, was stuffed in a maiden at the weekend.

He may well be decent and may well have had a problem today, but the form of the Killarney race has yet to be proven.

I haven't seen the race. My point was that while he made a pleasing debut, the form of that race had yet to be proven. The only one to come out of it, a close up 3rd, was stuffed in a maiden at the weekend.

He may well be decent and may well have had a problem today, but the form of the Killarney race has yet to be proven.

That's fair enough. I was very happy to back him at 11/4 or 2/1 without the form being boosted. he looked very useful first time out and was an intended runner in the Curragh last week in a better race.

The 2nd from the Killarney race was stuffed today. Treat that form with extreme caution. Not sure where it leaves Camelot either?

Back