Today's Fancy

I've gone in heavy on Dark Passion in the next at Galway.

Quite highly regarded and won the last day at Bellewstown went got an awful run of the race.

Second, beaten by a Gosden newcomer.

Just for interest her Grand Aunt is none other than Urban Sea (Kings best is her Great Uncle as well).

Hoof It

Frankel has been the star of the meeting but his performance in the Steward worths a mention,
he posted a very high figure and emerges as the ony danger for Dream Ahead in coming weeks.

Friday August 5 2011
Brighton 15:30 - Harry Bloom Memorial Handicap
Titus Gent
Trainer: J Gask Owner: Mr Tony Bloom

This race is named in memory of Harry Bloom who was vice-chairman of Brighton and Hove Albion and died on the team coach returning from an away match. Tony Bloom is Harry Bloom's grandson and took over as chairman of Brighton in 2009 and is also the M.D of a sports betting company and a very good professional poker player as well.

The horse, Titus Gent was purchased or leased by Tony Bloom on 31/07/2011 from the previous owners The Nobles. Now this is just conjecture but it just happens that there was a cricket match played on Saturday 30/07/2011 at V & A cricket club - V&A v DEVILS ADVOCATES, the first 3 names on the home teamsheet were TONY BLOOM, ROB NOBLE, JAMIE NOBLE. I can't be certain if this is the same Tony Bloom or if Rob and Jamie are the Nobles who previously owned Titus Gent but it does seem an amazing coincidence and you all know I love a good conspiracy theory. http://www.vacricket.com/

Titus Gent is trained by Jeremy Gask who took over the training of the horse at the end of Nov 2010. Tony Bloom also has three other horses with the trainer. Titus Gent has had three runs so far this season finishing 2nd and 1st but his last race where he finished 8/8 at Newmarket can be ignored as he still had the blind on when the stalls opened and obviously missed the break. Titus Gent has had 49 career runs but has only encountered ground with soft in the description twice, winning both.

Anyway all this adds up to a good plot up in my mind :ninja:- good luck if you play.

I've backed Bold Perk at Worcester. I appreciate the handicapper has had his say, and the Nicholls horse has been well backed, but Bold Perk is improving and 6-1 just looked a bit big.

Please forgive me for after-timing, but I have just had a unique double in the divisions of the bumper at Worcester. Both horses I backed, Wychwoods Mist and DJ Milan, ran off the track.

The second division reminded me more of a donkey derby than a horses race, because almost no horse in it ran in a straight line and several of them, the winner included, tried to run out.

Simon de Montfort at 5s today. The only one I mildly am worried about is Class is Class, but look at the raceform comments for Simon de M's Derby trial win last year - you will see very few horses obtain such a comment. Off from then till Dubai when he won well on his comeback, and bounced next time out. Back off a break now, and still a very, very exciting horse.

If you get chance. review Rock A Doodle Doo's effort in the Duke of Edinburgh. With a bit more luck, I think he'd probably have won. Last run best ignored because he doesn't stay 14f. Yard back in form and has actually been dropped 2 lb. I think he has outstanding claims in the 3.00 and only a monumental fuck-up by Yutake Take can stop him going very close. I expected him to be more like 9/4 or 5/2 for this.

Simon de Montfort at 5s today. The only one I mildly am worried about is Class is Class, but look at the raceform comments for Simon de M's Derby trial win last year - you will see very few horses obtain such a comment. Off from then till Dubai when he won well on his comeback, and bounced next time out. Back off a break now, and still a very, very exciting horse.

He's an interesting horse right enough, but his last run, six weeks after his comeback, would not normally be explainable by the bounce factor. I imagine something else must have gone wrong. But we know he goes well fresh and is full of potential, so I'm going to follow you in.

Any opinion on our old friend Burj Nahar.

I think he is a bet at 5s or bigger. The bounce factor won't stop him this time (assuming that is what it was), and I think he should comfortably get a mark of 110 in his career.

I can't make my mind up on the Cumani horse though (or any of his).

Any thoughts?

Terrible days racing have done a lazy lucky 15-the 2 godolphins at haydock-djs horsebar Ascot and Prescotts in Sweet Solera.

Back