Today's Fancy

Gal - you weren't wrong with NOTRE PERE. He was seemingly enjoying things when badly baulked by GULLIBLE GORDON's fall. As Ch.4 pointed out, takes a while for a big horse like him to find impetus again, plus hopefully the jockey waiting a few strides to see he wasn't lamed by the hit with the fallen horse. Provided he doesn't have something else crash out in front of him next time, he ought to go better. I also understand he likes his going Heavy, which this wasn't, so...

Last edited:
Notre Pere also blundered himself at the fence he was hampered at. In the main though he did seem to take to the fences.

Yes, but... once again, if he wasn't finding the going the way he likes it... you don't think he'll just stick it out agin others rather better when he gets his preferred Heavy? You don't have to be pacy on that, just gritty, which I think he is.

The fence where Battlefront unseated Katie Walsh - was it the same obstacle that Maljimar almost came to grief at? Very similar jumps.

Gal - you weren't wrong with NOTRE PERE. He was seemingly enjoying things when badly baulked by GULLIBLE GORDON's fall.
I also understand he likes his going Heavy, which this wasn't, so...

He reminds me of Earth Summit in that he'll need heavy ground on any trip less than 4 miles but good/soft should be ok in April. Tricky Trickster also falls into this camp.

The listed mares race (1.30) at Kempton is the highlight of the three national hunt cards on Monday. They currently bet 11/8 Nicky Henderson's Caroles Legacy and 9/4 Twiston-Davies' Banjaxed Girl. Both mares could easily end up in the lineup for the David Nicholson hurdle at the festival in March over 2m 4f. Todays race however is over 3 miles and a quick dip into Banjaxed Girls form uncovers the following comments:

Banjaxed Girl´s sole defeat in six previous outings came on the only other occasion she had encountered both this trip and officially soft going, but she seemed to see it out well enough here 2m 5f Soft Newbury

The only time she has met defeat in her career to date came over 2m5f at Ludlow and this is probably the limit of her stamina at present, but she now looks well worthy of a rise in class 2m 4f Good to Soft Southwell

She races and jumps enthusiastically and, though beaten over 2m5f, she should have no trouble with further. 2m Soft Southwell

So on three of her runs last year her stamina was up for debate but not tomorrow according to the Racing Post spotlight:

BANJAXED GIRL (nap), who has been superbly progressive and looks very interesting at this new trip, with Carole´s Legacy also a very tough rival.

On official ratings there is not much between the pair and Banjaxed girl is the more progressive but Caroles Legacy certainly stays the trip and at 11/8 or better in the morning is a must bet for me with serious concerns about Banjaxed Girl getting the trip.

I'd agree with that assessment about Banjaxed Girl's prospects of getting today's trip. Further doubts about the trip are raised by there being relatively few Kings Theatres comfortable over 3m. Menorah, Cue Card, Riverside Theatre, Royal Shakespeare, Voler La Vedette etc have all been running over shorter (Wichita Lineman was an exception).

One problem, though, is that Carole's Legacy has not yet been out this season and in each of her previous campaigns she has improved plenty from her first to her second run. Santera each way and in the w/o fav markets might be the way to go, if we assume she can improve even further and the front two in the market are not going to run up to their ratings.

Last edited:
Agree too - you could also say Carole's legacy is one of the toughest and most consistent mares in racing. She also goes well fresh.

Ffos Las
12:50 – LAY - First Fandango who was the best of these on the flat but he still has his wedding tackle which more often than not will make a colt lose interest if this is banged or scraped against a hurdle.

2:25 – Me Julie (Nap) Won this race easy last year off the same mark when claims taken into account – has a big turn around in the weights with Take It There and I think this race has been her target.

Looking at the market for the 1.30 Kempton now there must be a chance that Caroles Legacy will not even go off favourite.

Does anyone have last weeks RFO? Wondering what Rebecca Curtis said about Grovemere (Ffos Las 4.05)

Southwell

I doubt many people will be bothered with the racing tomorrow but there looks a good oppurtunity to take on a short one in the 12.10. The favourite Spyder has only had two runs but has never run on any all weather surface. Happy's Flyer found a mile too far on turf so it's hard to see him being ideally suited to 1m at Southwell. Imaginary World has improved on his last three runs and won last time out over 9f at Wolverhampton. At around 4/1 he will get the day started one way or the other.

I got the 4/1 Imaginary World with Stan James. i will be very interested in the market near the off as I don't usually play in this grade.

That was a tough one to take. I completely dismissed Stansonnit (won 8/1 outsider of 4) but Imaginary World and the winner were the only two to handle the surface and were miles clear of the original front two in the market.

Keith Revely - Wetherby Mares Bumper

2009 - Florarossa 2nd 8/1 & Bay Rebel 6th 100/30

2008 - Dicklers Oscar won 9/4 & Alora Money 7th 28/1

2007 - Hapeney 7th 5/2

2006 - Valentines Lady won 11/2

2005 – no runner

2004 - Northern Shadows 4th 16/1 & Diklers Rose 6th 14/1

2003 – no runner

2002 – Northern Native won 5/2 & Shaluji 5th 33/1 (Mrs Mary Reveley)

2001 – Mrs Mary Reveley was 2nd 5th & 6th @ 8/1 evs & 20/1

2000 – no bumper race

2010??
3:35 – Silver Spirit 20/80 –place 11/8 – 7.8 the win – looks a value bet imo

Atlantic Tiger is a horse I've kept a close eye on year. Remember one of Stodge's Sandown visit threads when he was ridden by Richard Hills. Basically he's a chronically one-paced two-miler. Ideally I'd like to see headgear emplyed on him, but even so I have to back him in the very weak 2m handicap at 7.05 Kempton (just for you EC!) this evening.

He looks likely to get an uncontested lead, Decison was a front runner for Clive Cox but he hasn't been front running of late over hurdles and is also up in trip. The angle with him is the return to polytrack, and I have a hunch he'll be better on the surface, he's gained both his wins on it and is also a half-brother to Mister Green who is much better on polytrack than turf. This is also a much weaker race than what Atlantic Tiger has been running in all summer.

It's not quite last chance saloon for him, but it's not far off, but he really should bully this mob. Just edited to say that at 5/2 he's probably not worth the risk. He was 4's this morning.

Last edited:
Back