Today's Fancy

1st bet of the week for me is Glebehall Bay in the 3.10 at Towcester. Happy with 3 to 1, form is there for all to see, was going clear when fell last time and on the same mark. Coditions should suit, think Hobbs Dream is the danger despite weight rise.

Last edited:
I'd be keen to oppose both the Nicholls and the King horses. Runners from big NH yards tend to be massively underpriced in hunter chases in my opinion.

The two I'd be interested in backing at the prices would be Gentle George and Whizzaar.

Didn't end up having a bet, so was rather relieved when Whizzaar was beaten...

Forgetting to back a 22-1 winner would have typified my luck at present!

I sat down in front of television as hunter chase went off-saw Sp of Halcon and decided to see what price he was on Betfair -the longer he was cruising the more I was convinced they had gone too slow for him.Managed to lay him at 2.3 before seeing him go 8s and laying off then putting up a lay of 2.12 which was matched.How many times can you lay,back and lay a horse and be confident you will get a result.
They were calling him unlucky but he lacks tactical pace and is always worth laying.

Might not be a popular winner here but think Trachonitis is overpriced in 3.00 Southwell. Lots of form in these conditions, well handicapped and though he looked like he should have won here 2 starts back, in hindsight Dontpaytherferryman was very well handicapped that day. Lots of kickback and a bigger field didn't suit next time. He's a rogue but has the ability to win this on the bridle. Eseej is much too short for a horse that tends to hang right and will get taken on by Amazing Blue Sky. Sail Home doesn't have many negatives bar her price, just don;t think she should be 7/4 and Trachonitis 4's.

I did not get a chance to see what price he went to it running. I turned away a furlong out having already chalked him up a winner.. oh dear oh dear...

No lower than evens. He's renowned for doing that. Was hoping that the winner would get taken on a bit more by the Ruth Carr horse.

No lower than evens. He's renowned for doing that. Was hoping that the winner would get taken on a bit more by the Ruth Carr horse.

I'm really surprised at that. I can't say I know much about the horse but was happy to take 4/1 on the strength of the your post.

Laying at 2.3 backing at 8 and laying again at 2.12 maximized the profits.HG is just one of those horses who completely lacks tactical pace.

Fair enought but would you not be sick If he never hit 2.12 again?

I don't mind laying off as long as there is liquidity in the market-it's nice to sit back with half a mile to go and know you have made a profit on the race regardless.What I can't stand is quiet meetings where the bet is only accepted in the final half furlong.
At Christmas I place laid Uncle Junior at something like 4/9 for a decent amount by standards-about a mile out he went 8s in the place market guaranteeing me a profit regardless-14s was available and I thought about evening out my position for a split second and decided I wasn't going to throw away money.A split second later the old dog started running on like a train to get placed.
The best punter I know refuses to lay off under any circumstances.

I had a nasty one today had 4/4 up in a canadian and the final horse was 10/11 had already won a tidy sum but just couldnt get any liquidity on betfair to lay off half of the potential winnings at about evens. Was sick when the horse was never sighted given a very tender ride.

Done at 1.01, connections must be gutted given that they most likely had a good touch, hopefully the ew money will be a good profit for them, but given that it was trading in the photo below 2/1 it must have been very close.

No sympathy for connections and I'm glad the horse got beaten. Shame it reached the frame even. A 'will win' message was given out for the horse in the press room prior to racing; at the time it was a 5/1 shot from 20/1 in the EPs. It was backed again in the shows and went off 3/1. It was a blatant case of the horse having been hooked 3 times to get his 3 duck eggs and a ridiculous handicap mark before they put the money down. It should have been a Shaftesbury Avenue job for connections. And the authorities claim they're clamping down on the crooks??? Laughable. This is what low grade AW racing with laughable prize money leads to, half the horses running aren't off a yard until connections say go.

And yet in the paper the sentiments were sympathy for connections, who failed at nearly landing such a big gamble!! Bent as you like.

Last edited:
I confidently predict Rackham Lerouge will serve Wymott his ass at Bangor-on-Dee this afternoon.

Last edited:
Back