Today's Fancy

Your line about Carlton House is interesting. I never really looked at Street Cry as a pure speed influence. He has sired Zenyatta, Street Sense and Shocking. So two 1m2f horses and a Melbourne Cup winner. So I tend to classify him as giving class and deferring stamina to the mare rather than being a speed influence.

The dam (Talented) has produced milers, but with Fasliyev and Zafonic.

She has produced a sprinter with Green Desert.

She has produced middle distance 12-16f with Barathea.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

I had just assumed it was a given that he would stay 10f, but the evidence is far from conclusive. I don't know what to think, and I wouldn't back him in the Derby with that page.

Street Cry is associated with speed, being from the Raise A Native (pure speed)/Mr Prospector (classic speed)/Machiavellian tail-male line. However, the dam side is crammed with stamina and he should prove best at 10 furlongs or further.

Street Cry is associated with speed, being from the Raise A Native (pure speed)/Mr Prospector (classic speed)/Machiavellian tail-male line. However, the dam side is crammed with stamina and he should prove best at 10 furlongs or further.

Do pure speed sires get Melbourne Cup winners?

Is the dam side that crammed with stamina, when you look at the progeny of the dam?

Indeed, in addition to the ones I mentioned, the dam's half sister produced a Godolphin 6f/7f horse called Floristry.

I think if Midday is close to her best, she wins.

If she is not, then for me it is who is unexposed and likely to improve past their current mark. For me that horse is Sajihaa, and I think 13/2 is more than fair as an each way bet.

My view is that Seville is a slow old boat who will need 1m4f at least against decent opposition.

I'm not convinced by this I must say. Looking at his run in the Racing Post Trophy he was slightly tapped for toe outside the 2f marker but subsequently stayed on strongly in a race that looked to run at a relatively sedate pace for a Group 1.

He didn't have the requisite tactical speed for that assignment, but does that automatically make him a slow boat that at least needs 12f? It may well do, though I would prefer to take a considerably more positive view of that run for the time being.

Given that O'Brien has a relatively positive record in the race in the past few years (its seemingly logical that his runners here should be relatively straight, given this is in all likelihood their only run before Epsom), I'm happy enough to take 15/8 for reasonably small money.

Last edited:
I think if Midday is close to her best, she wins.

If she is not, then for me it is who is unexposed and likely to improve past their current mark. For me that horse is Sajihaa, and I think 13/2 is more than fair as an each way bet.

Pretty much how it happened. Well done Midday backers.

Will they plan even one race this season against the colts for Midday?

I'd like to Sajihaa go for the Windsor Forest - she travelled best of all for a long way and Midday had too much for her at the end. She should be up to winning a Group 2 at least.

Last edited:
Whatever about 1m4 there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever about Carlton House staying 1m2. I watched his maiden again and he was seriously impressive. If one of the 2 maiden winners are going to challenge Seville, it will be him I feel.

Well called again Hamm!:thumbsup:

Do pure speed sires get Melbourne Cup winners?

Is the dam side that crammed with stamina, when you look at the progeny of the dam?

Indeed, in addition to the ones I mentioned, the dam's half sister produced a Godolphin 6f/7f horse called Floristry.

No my point is not pure speed. He is "associated" with speed in his top line only. Machiavellian get those beyond his own range on a racecourse. You have to go back three generations to Raise a Native in CH's top line for "pure speed".

Is that an invitation Steve?! I will be there.. little convincing needed ..

My main fancy of the day goes in the next at Salisbury, Crystal Etoile, who I'd be very disappointed if she finishes out of the frame. A half sister to my favourite horse in training, Crystal Capella. 15/2 each way a nice proposition..

Last edited:
That b*stard stopped riding her again in the last 150 yards (for third). That's not the first time he's done this - it makes you think he's best avoided when riding a Stoute horse..

That b*stard stopped riding her again in the last 150 yards (for third). That's not the first time he's done this - it makes you think he's best avoided when riding a Stoute horse..

...it's okay I can buy you one (...or two).

I am going to be backing Negotiate in the last race at Gowran today. I have heard she is working well at home (how many times have I heard that?). I have had a small bet each way at 20/1 with Hills, and another bet at 17/2 with Paddy Power each way without the favourite.

Ignore her run on soft ground the last day.

The Wachman yolk should win, but there doesn't seem to be a huge pile else to fear in the race.

I am going to be backing Negotiate in the last race at Gowran today. I have heard she is working well at home (how many times have I heard that?). I have had a small bet each way at 20/1 with Hills, and another bet at 17/2 with Paddy Power each way without the favourite.

The Wachman yolk should win, but there doesn't seem to be a huge pile else to fear in the race.

Unreal!! Go get yourself pissed!!:D

:eek:

:cool:
:adore:

Back