Today's racing

There are two Presque Isle's -- one in Penn and another in Maine.
Maybe you were in the "bad" one? :)

Presque Isle (Pennsylvania) is quite lovely. It is a State National Park with miles of sandy beaches ............... and has a racetrack.

Last edited:
Seb Sanders is in the news this morning for riding without boots at Goodwood yesterday. He discarded them in order to do the weight of 9-5 on the horse he was riding and he had arrived at the course too late to use the sauna to lose the 1lb that was going to make the difference. It doesn't inspire confidence you'd have to say.

Last edited:

and I'd want at least double those odds.

Regardless of how far he could have won by; where would Merry Me finish in a Champion stakes? and the fact that she was vying for second favoritism says it all about the quality of opposition for this "Group 2".

Beaten out of sight in last year's Prix Niel - the only time he's taken on decent horses.

Last edited:
and I remember Mohammed Moubarak announcing on live television that Forest Tiger would never be beaten after he'd bolted up on his debut. He never won another race.

Bad example I grant you as the two trainers are world's apart but I don't put my money down just because an admittedly great trainer says he's top class after beating a mid 90s rated filly.

The combination of who the trainer is, the price and the likelihood that this race will cut up like **** means the thing is a bet at 33s, even if only as a trading opportunity.

I agree there's no way he'll be near that price on the day so yes, as a trading opp it's a good position to be in assuming he'll turn up.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ki...ata=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x580331b9804e565e

I'm off to Kilbeggan this evening in some dangerous company, as edgt can testify.

I don't know what poor Pat Doyle did to deserve such a poor field for his memorial race, the fourth on the card, and tonight's racing in general is not the highest quality but it looks competitive.

The link shows how very tight the track is, and the horses are on the turn all the way round. It's definitely one of those places where course form matters but that won't be much help in finding the winner of the third race, where five of the ten runners are course winners. Perhaps course winner Kilkishen, trumped here last time out by another previous course winner Carriganog (no shame in that), will thwart Do Try Dolly's attempt at a hat trick of course wins.

Of course I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Bit late for the County but Renneti seems to be potentially in line for the Cesarewitch.

Regardless of how far he could have won by; where would Merry Me finish in a Champion stakes? and the fact that she was vying for second favoritism says it all about the quality of opposition for this "Group 2".

I fear you might have to eat humble pie before too long, Wilson! :)

Merry Me is progressing and when conditions are right she will win a good race.
She was.second to future group 3 winner Nakuti at Pontefract before this Baden Baden race.

I reckon rather than ask why she didn't get closer to Vadamos, we should be questioning the fact that a 5 lengths beating in a group 2 against what could be something special, puts her in with a handy weight on a mark of 97 for the Cambridgeshire or a similar handicap elsewhere!

Balding says..

"She's qualified for the big handicap at Ascot on Champions Day and I'd like to run her there," said Balding. "The winner is in a different league, but I thought my filly ran a smashing race."

Last edited:
Very interesting Group 1 at Baden-Baden today. Ito at 2s maybe slightly overpriced, looked a very nice type last time out where he sort of set the race up for the Cumani horse.

Blue De Vega has been backed from 14/1 last night to 9/4 in the Dundalk 3.10.

They've been a stable to take seriously in these situations. Only third but presumably most of the money went on at each way odds.

Horrific looking fall there for Alla Svelta at Fontwell there
Amazed (and pleased!)that he got up afterwards.

After what has undoubtedly been the best weekends flat racing this year, the three horses i've been most impressed with are Treve, Emotionless and Order of St George.

Also Air Force Blue, seeing as his performance today made him very short favourite again for 2000 Guineas over Emotionless

Unjustifiably so, looks a 2yo to me. Decent chance he wont train on or even stay a mile.

His full brother is a decent miler in the US, and every commentator I've heard has said that he will make a better 3yo, he is tall and angular with a lot of strengthening up to come. He is also in the best hands for the future.

Back