Today's racing

Still musing over the Faugheen comment.

Lovely to see the old boy Knockara Beau run so well.

lol...anyone failing to back the winner in running in the bumper at exeter needs head looking at..Tom OBrien must be a pretty silly lad on the second horse..all along the back straight at Exeter it was obvious to anyone that the ground on the inside was lengths slower..like a ploughed field,,,.but he carrtied on taking that piece of ground,,,the winner was kept well wide all the way where the ground was clearly lengths faster

in a game where the obvious..is really obvious..you just have to wonder what on earth goes through the heads of jockeys..brilliant stuff

its a must watch if anyone hasn't seen it..and it happens a lot when the ground is like this..but this is a masterclass of stupidity....one of the worse rides of the season..and it won't get a mention anywhere..funny game this is

BACCHANEL..real winner by 10/15 lengths here.without a penalty next time..don't miss it

Last edited:
Discussing Aristo Du Plessis, may have heard it wrong as wasn't paying much attention, but "a touch of Faugheen about him" got my attention.

Can only assume it's the fact he has 4 legs.

The comment was in relation to how the horse attacks his hurdles. Either way he's gone through a huge improvement in the last year. Certainly one of the best 2m hurdlers in the north.

Easily the best two miler in the north I'd say Dave. Ewart needs to bring him down south to find out where he stands. I'm surprised he hasn't already.

The comment was in relation to how the horse attacks his hurdles. Either way he's gone through a huge improvement in the last year. Certainly one of the best 2m hurdlers in the north.

Right. So 4 legs it is then. :cool:

Yes, clearly useful.

Easily the best two miler in the north I'd say Dave. Ewart needs to bring him down south to find out where he stands. I'm surprised he hasn't already.

They were tempted but that was another nice pot for the owners today. He doesn't want it soft tho...

Joseph O'Brien deserves a mention for his four winners yesterday on his first official day as a trainer, 23 years to the day after his father trained his first winner. Two of Joseph's winners were ridden by younger brother Donnacha and one by his sister Sara.

By the way Aidan mentioned that Joseph now weighs more than 11 stone since retiring as a jockey, the fatso.

After a 200/1 winner at Wolves yesterday in goes a 100/1 at Perth tonight!

I loved the quote from Jose Santos the trainer of 200/1 winner Dandy Flame
"He's always shown plenty of speed and I'd hoped he would win this evening, I had a bit on" :blink:

No interest in the mundanity-fest at Ascot, but the team tactics in the last ought to see Frankie strung up from the grandstand.

Just one unit made it through to the final leg of a giant Pick 6 pool of €432k at the Curragh today. It had reached these proportions thanks to a rollover of €97k from Leopardstown yesterday.

Whoever the lucky punter was must have been on good terms with themselves at that stage, given that it fell to 1/9 fav Order Of St George to bring the baton round the final lap.

Willie Mullins, your share of Wicklow Brave's winnings will have to be diverted to a Samaritans emergency fund.

Last edited:
The €432k Pick 6 from last weekend is carried forward to Gowran tomorrow, which should generate plenty of interest.

Ironically enough there'll be no meeting on this date next year because they've decided it's not worth clashing with All Ireland final day at Croke Park.

Only just remembered this now but I was reliably informed at the football match last weekend that the owners of Cultram Abbey expect to win the borders national at Kelso today :ninja:

Today's Curragh meeting was a special occasion.

The card was superb from start to finish, including a monster performance from Pinatubo, but it seemed that most people were there to show their support for Pat Smullen.

Every branch of racing has been supporting his fundraising effort on behalf of Cancer Trials Ireland. To give a few examples, Ger Lyons's facebook page raised around 20k, the jockeys riding this weekend donated their riding fees, and another 30k was raised by allowing owners have their colours printed in both Irish Champions Weekend race cards. In total at least €1.3m has been raised.

The jockeys for the Pat Smullen Champions Race For Cancer Trials Ireland race were cheered into the parade ring, encouraged by parade ring watchers and applauded from the stands on their way to the start. It really was a pleasure to see the likes of Paul Carberry and Kieren Fallon back on a racecourse. After the race the jockeys and their horses paraded down the course to more cheers and applause.

Tony McCoy looked more thrilled by this win than almost any other, he certainly cracked more smiles and came over to the stands rail to tell the crowd he'd just beaten a bunch of has beens. He then attempted a Frankie dismount in the winners enclosure. Sheila Lavery and her husband, trainer and owner of the winner, were equally thrilled to have landed the race and its princely first prize of €59.

Pat Smullen, you brought a crowd to the new Curragh today who wanted to salute and support you. You have raised a colossal sum of money for a good cause and given the new Curragh its first coating of soul.

Back