Tom Queally

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Just an update on the phenomenal record of Tom Queally. Frankel racks up his 12th Group 1 winner and his 10th for the master Henry Cecil.

Native Ruler. Got him stopped around 4/5 times up the straight, and kept running him up another horse's backside. Cringeworthy.

I didn't back him today because i was afraid he would bounce but his ride on Native Ruler's first race back was a little dodgy... Although it looked worse at first glance than it actually was.

Overall though I have to disagree. I like Queally, calm under pressure, well balanced and not afraid to take a race by the scruff of the neck (Midday's BC win being a less obvious example than Frankel). I also think he is the ideal jockey for Cecil - As great a trainer as he is I don't think it's any coincidence that his resurgence has happened since Queally's appointment.

I like Queally, calm under pressure, well balanced and not afraid to take a race by the scruff of the neck

Have to agree with this. Not seen the Yorkshire Cup ride but in general, he'd be in the top 10 UK/Irish jockeys and well up the top 10.

Native Ruler. Got him stopped around 4/5 times up the straight, and kept running him up another horse's backside. Cringeworthy.

Agree - it was a shockingly bad ride . I couldn't believe how he rode him into a box behind Duncan - did he really think that horse was going to stop or lug off the rail ?

I thought he was pretty clueless on World Domination as well . What would they have lost by letting him stride on ? Cauthen would have done and Piggott too I am sure . Queally strikes me as a jockey without a Plan B in every race he rides.

I think HRAC in fact would have an even greater resurgence with a proper top class jockey- he should have nabbed Buick - but there are few around on the Flat nowadays .

Dettori, Moore, Fallon, Murtagh, Peslier, Soumillon, Spencer, Hughes, Hanagan, Sanders, Ahern not good enough for you?

I'd have nabbed the Jimmies Fortune or Quinn if I could - wise heads, strong, race-smart at every turn. Or Robinson, Baker, Callan, Drowne, Crowley, Probert, Turner, Gannon, Durcan, Norton ....

We are living in a golden age of well-schooled, talented jockeyship. We have - as racegoers, owners or trainers - never had it so good. Time was, you had about three or five top jockeys who rode only for the very top owners. They were probably bent as hell and unfit to match. You now have young, fit (as in healthy if not looks) riders with far more of a sense of race riding, who get top-class physio and other care during and between race meetings, which is just as well as they ride about ten times the amount of horses which old-timers did.

Last edited:
Back