Tom Queally

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Ahern not good enough for you?

:lol::lol::lol:

No self respecting trainer, let alone Cecil would let him become stable jockey. He got the elbow from Dunlop's for good reason and it wasn't anything to do with his riding (well it sort of was...).

Last edited:
Neither World Domination or Native Ruler were nearly good enough to win their races.

I have seen dozens of worse rides in the past few months.

Native Ruler was given no chance to lengthen till the race was over. Are you really saying he's not good enough to beat Blue Bajan?

:lol::lol::lol:

No self respecting trainer, let alone Cecil would let him become stable jockey. He got the elbow from Dunlop's for good reason and it wasn't anything to do with his riding (well it sort of was...).

Always liked Ahern - spill the beans please.... I'll return with a shocking bit of tittle tattle re one of our finest jump jockeys.

Dettori, Moore, Fallon, Murtagh, Peslier, Soumillon, Spencer, Hughes, Hanagan, Sanders, Ahern not good enough for you?

I'd have nabbed the Jimmies Fortune or Quinn if I could - wise heads, strong, race-smart at every turn. Or Robinson, Baker, Callan, Drowne, Crowley, Probert, Turner, Gannon, Durcan, Norton ....

We are living in a golden age of well-schooled, talented jockeyship. We have - as racegoers, owners or trainers - never had it so good. Time was, you had about three or five top jockeys who rode only for the very top owners. They were probably bent as hell and unfit to match. You now have young, fit (as in healthy if not looks) riders with far more of a sense of race riding, who get top-class physio and other care during and between race meetings, which is just as well as they ride about ten times the amount of horses which old-timers did.

K - that is simply rubbish IMO . Gordon Richards rode well over 200 winners one season . Piggott 191 in 1982 . Cauthen and Eddery both rode nearly 200 in their epic battle. They all rode for hatfuls of trainers .

There was one very telling factor that showed how far standards had fallen Duffield could not have got a classic ride for love nor money in the 1970s and 80s yet they were throwing them at him in the 1990s. I think it laughable to regard people like Jimmy Quinn as a top jockey

Last edited:
Well, Ahern wouldn't have got the push from Cecil's on the grounds of extra-curricular riding activities as that would be pot and kettle a bit too far, surely? After all, knocking off your head lass while supposedly happily married to your wife wouldn't hold up as the best of moral standards. So rule out that as relevant to good riding.

As for the rest of the top-class jocks, there are half-a-dozen there which you've airily dismissed, Ardross, as if we don't have the talent. We do have the talent, right down to claiming levels. And quoting riders who were always put on the top horses by the best of trainers - you'd expect them to ride loads of winners, wouldn't you? You were knocking a lack of top riders, not a top rider. There were nothing like the numbers back in Richards's day (Gordon Bennett, more likely, if you have to trawl that far back to get your rebuttal data!).

People are riding for top trainers nowadays who would simply not have got a look in 25 years ago .

Native Ruler was given no chance to lengthen till the race was over. Are you really saying he's not good enough to beat Blue Bajan?

Maybe not on his second run after a lengthy layoff.

He did get room for all of the last furlong, and he didn't pick up at all as well as the first three home. He was closer 1f out than he was at the line.

It wasn't a great ride, but I don't think it made a pile of difference.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think a horse (like NR) can lengthen in just the last furlong. He is all out of a rhythm and would have taken time to get going. It's hard to know what to make of the race. One part of me thinks Duncan could be a Gold Cup horse.

Gamla: do give the benefit of your enormous experience to Clive Brittain re Philip Robinson! I'm sure he'll be a far better trainer for it.

Gamla: do give the benefit of your enormous experience to Clive Brittain re Philip Robinson! I'm sure he'll be a far better trainer for it.

Kri, he used to be a top class jockey, I quite agree but in recent years his age has clearly up with him. He's a lot weaker and not as tactically astute as he once was.

Fair enough - I thought you were implying he was no good at all. Brittain has re-retained him, by the way, so perhaps he's going to rejuvenate those skills.

One has to wonder whether he wants the sack judging by his podcast today - who is advising him - Andrew lansley ?

The idea that Cecil told him to go in hot pursuit of an over hasty moderate pacemaker five and a half furlongs out beggars belief .

He was told to go to the front before the turn - that is three out !

If he runs in the Sussex and is settled in with Canford Cliffs stalking Frankel, Queally will be under the most pressure of his career. I think it will be fair to judge him one way or the other after that scenario.

I dont know what happens with this man since the Guineas

what he has done now at Haydock is a man out his mind for the moment, needs some holidays.

saddled slipped right back

he held up a horse that normally front runs..in a very slow run race

if those were his "instructions"..then it shows how useless instructions are

a jockey should be allowed to put a horse where the pace demands

holding up a horse in a slow run race is just daft

a jumps jock would have kicked his feet out of the irons earlier but guess you don't expect it too much on the flat.

The tactics were indeed utterly bizarre Queally either does not have the confidence to depart from an agreed plan or the nous .

A bit harsh in the slipping saddle but she surely would have been well clear had she been ridden positively .

On the flip side Jamie Spencer is riding very well at the moment. It swings in roundabouts.

Last edited:
Jamie clearly is very eloquent in the stewards room to have persuaded them he wasn't careless on Highland Castle in the first must have required considerable blarney

From the Stewards' Room on the BHA site:

The Stewards held an enquiry under Rule (B) 11.6 into possible interference inside the final furlong. They found that the winner HIGHLAND CASTLE, ridden by Jamie Spencer, had interfered with SWIFT ALHAARTH (IRE), ridden by Silvestre De Sousa, placed second. They considered that the interference was accidental and had not improved HIGHLAND CASTLE’s placing. They ordered the placings to remain unaltered.

The Stewards held an enquiry into possible interference approaching the one furlong marker. They found that the winner HIGHLAND CASTLE, ridden by Jamie Spencer, had interfered with REFLECT (IRE), ridden by Eddie Ahern, placed third. They considered that the interference was accidental under Rule (B) 55.

On the flip side Jamie Spencer is riding very well at the moment. It swings in roundabouts.

Am I made to think that Spencer could be back in Ballydoyle soon? Just the comments that came out after Fame & Glory win. O'Brien accepting that he is a bit of a b****x to work for, and Spencer saying he wasn't able to handle the work environment but they get on better now. I thought it was interesting. No doubt Spencer looking to get a few more rides off Coolmore but O'Brien did not have to comment as he did.

Back