Tom Queally

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
I'm sure it was all discussed beforehand, but he clearly had to switch to Plan B once he was sure nothing else was going to take up the running. He played it perfectly from there on, but of course will get no credit for winning on the best horse. His percentage will make up for that.

I suspect once there were only 4 runners it was Plan A - and very well executed it was too.

Another masterclass in how not to ride a race from Queally on Popular in the fillies maiden at Kempton - the horse should have won easily .

Misses break , rushes it up and unsettles it and then has to rein back as the pace slows as it nearly always does at Kempton , gets stuck on rails , then as the horse picks up ignores the big gap on the rails to ride it up two horses backsides . Atrocious ride and it is beaten just over half a length and would have won in a few more strides even with his hindrance on top .

Last edited:
He's like all fully-pro jocks, Ardross, riding dozens of horses a week, hundreds of rides per month (and that doesn't include all the early-morning schooling rides most of them perform). Crikey, a bit of an unfortunate ride and let's hang him from a lamp-post! So, so easy to always be the armchair rider when one's own work isn't publicly filmed and judged, every day, year in and out.

Look, anyone who misses the break will try to catch up, unless it's a distance race with a circuit of time. Missing the break is down to the horse far more than the jockey - what would you have said about JACQUELINE QUEST refusing to race yesterday under Kieren Fallon? His fault?

And, fwiw, Ryan Moore's excuse for getting pipped on ROXY FLYER in Lingfield's River Eden Fillies Stakes (Listed) yesterday was that he only needed to have given her one more smack to have won, but had used up the allowance in trying to focus her wandering attention. So, Excuse No. 101 is added to the roll of Reasons Why I Didn't Win - it'll all be the BHA's fault if hundreds of distracted, lazy, rogue, talentless or downright dodgy nags don't get their noses first past the line.

How many Group 1 races has he won? I keep losing count.

Gearoid, that's a silly counter argument.

Ardross, I don't disagree with some of your points on Queally, but until you analyse other jockey's failings with the same intensity and scrutiny, everyone will take your posts on Queally as biased and blinkered.

Gearoid, that's a silly counter argument.

Ardross, I don't disagree with some of your points on Queally, but until you analyse other jockey's failings with the same intensity and scrutiny, everyone will take your posts on Queally as biased and blinkered.

They don't ride for HRAC- Hamm !

Which merely demonstrates how well thought-of he must be, m'lud. You don't seriously think that Sir Henry - or his exalted owners - would keep a muppet, do you? Or that they'd trust FRANKEL over and over again (including exclusive work riding) to a nincompoop?

Good heavens, imagine a top-flight jockey occasionally getting into some race bother. Would never have happened to someone like Fallon on BOSRA SHAM, would it?

Last edited:
Normally i'd say that just saying how many group 1's a jockey has won doesn't tell the whole story because its how many should he have won that should be the question.

In Tom's case he has done well looking at the actual stats

here on the mainland his figures are

15 wins from 49 rides in Group 1

the expected winners by market expectation are about 10..so he has done well overall..better than expectations...better than many jocks at that level

I think this season he has learned a lot..his only flaw appears to me to be a lack of cool under pressure..he seems to panic a bit as with Midday earlier in the season..and with Frankel at Ascot when he just let him fly off for no reason way too far out

a key season for him imo re learning

Last edited:
Except that he's continued to be allowed to ride what most pundits consider the best horse in the world and one of the best fillies... nothing special...

Of course, if you base a jockey's ability on the number of winners they've ridden versus expected winners (which does seem to make sense), then Ahmed Ajtebi is the greatest jockey of all time.

Midday is one of my favourite horses of the last decade-her Nassau wins have been a highlight of the last few summers for me.The night she won at the Breeders Cup I place laid her for more then I could afford -but after the race I found myself full of admiration for the way she responded to pressure.
Having said that a career record of 9 from 22 suggests she is far from invincible.I honestly believe that she was beaten by a better horse on the day at The Curragh in June.A top class filly/mare but even in victory she has shown the odd quirk.

Ardross, you can conjecture all you like about what might've happened with any other jock, but that's just la-la land. You deal in facts, so I'm surprised to see you trying to build up a credible argument against Queally based on supposition. I'm sure it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny in a law court.

Of course, if you base a jockey's ability on the number of winners they've ridden versus expected winners (which does seem to make sense), then Ahmed Ajtebi is the greatest jockey of all time.

many good jocks when not well known to the public go off at longer odds than they should..once people get to know a jock ..that changes

the Queally G1 stats wouldn't really have that factor built in much..which means overall as a G1 jock he is a lot better than many think..which included me;)

On a serious note, EC1, the stats for Queally at G1 level certainly read well, but I'd argue that they say much more about his principal retainer's ability to source and place top-class performers than they do about the jockey's inherent ability. That remark applies to both HRAC and Prince Khalid, neither of whom throw much crap at the proverbial board.

Last edited:
Back