Tom Queally

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Like this post. (Trefflich)

Thanks Soary, don't mean to after time but think we've been vindicated there!!:rolleyes: Don't also forget TP is relatively young at 26. It's a high profile position and one which Hughes also endured a troubled path when he was Abdulla's jock. Tom is doing well and will continue to prosper for years to come!

This is a good point - What's Queally's record in comparison to Hughes during his time as first jock to Abdulla? Queally isn;t even first jock but he's winning him plenty of Group 1's. To be fair to Hughes though he probably didn;t have the firepower during his time.

This is a good point - What's Queally's record in comparison to Hughes during his time as first jock to Abdulla? Queally isn;t even first jock but he's winning him plenty of Group 1's. To be fair to Hughes though he probably didn;t have the firepower during his time.

Hardly comparable Hughes was riding as Abdulla's jockey not Cecil's and had to ride for hatfuls of trainers some of whom he got on rather better with than others.

Who has ridden the most Group 1 winners Queally or Hughes?

Richard Hughes has ridden 26 Group 1 winners.

I've not included
A.I.G. Europe Champion Hurdle (Grade 1)
19Jan97
Cockney Lad
Noel Meade
£33,663

Richard Hughes has ridden 26 Group 1 winners.

I've not included
A.I.G. Europe Champion Hurdle (Grade 1)
19Jan97
Cockney Lad
Noel Meade
£33,663

Thanks Gearoid -when did he ride he first G1 winner-was it relatively late in his career?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Stand_Stakes

The current system of race grading was introduced in 1971, and the King's Stand Stakes was given Group 1 status in 1973. It was downgraded to Group 2 level in 1988 so that another event, the Haydock Sprint Cup, could be promoted.

The King's Stand Stakes became part of a new international race series, the Global Sprint Challenge, in 2005. It consequently featured a number of high-quality contenders from overseas, and it regained Group 1 status in 2008.

I don't kow which is right and wrong, just for some period it lost its group 1 status.

Last edited:
Thanks Gearoid -when did he ride he first G1 winner-was it relatively late in his career?

He picked up five of them abroad to get him started:

Premio Vittorio Di Capua (Group 1) 06Oct96 Mistle Cat S Woods
Derby Italiano (Group 1) 26May96 Bahamian Knight D R Loder
Gran Premio D'italia (Group 1) 16Sep95 Posidonas Paul Cole
Prix de Diane Hermes (Group 1) (Fillies) 08Jun03 Nebraska Tornado A Fabre
Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Pouliches (Group 1) (Fillies) 12May02 Zenda John Gosden
Prix d'Ispahan (Group 1) 20May01 Observatory John Gosden
Prix du Cadran (Group 1) 03Oct98 Invermark James Fanshawe

First British Group 1 victories:

Darley July Cup (Showcase Race) Class A (Group 1) 10Jul03 Oasis Dream John Gosden
Victor Chandler Nunthorpe Stakes Class A (Group 1) 21Aug03 Oasis Dream John Gosden

I'm sure it was all discussed beforehand, but he clearly had to switch to Plan B once he was sure nothing else was going to take up the running. He played it perfectly from there on, but of course will get no credit for winning on the best horse. His percentage will make up for that.

Back