Triumph Hurdle 2012

Hinterland was beaten 7 lengths by Bay Mix giving 7lbs. Not saying he's going to win the Triumph but he might be an EW play at a big price if taking his chance. He stays and travels well so running at a strong pace should bring about improvement. Can still see him going well.

Completely agree, Zenyatta. Have backed him at various prices but not looking like I'll get a run for my money at this stage. The word from the Cheltenham preview nights is he's likely to go for the Fred Winter, but off 141 I can't see the point, other than to keep the weight down for Ulck Du Lin. I hope after Dildar's disappointment today they'll run him, and if anything they should use Ranjaan to keep the weight down in the Fred Winter. However, I can't see that happening, as I imagine the syndicate who own it will want to run in the Triumph where they'll have a better chance, plus Jared Sullivan has Urbain De Sivola in the Triumph so it doesn't matter if Hinterland doesn't run.

Annoying.

Supreme?

He's clearly a very good horse and a strong pace will really suit, I'm convinced of that because he travels and jumps really well. It would seem a bit of a waste to have him in the Fred Winter, a far less prestigious prize, giving loads of weight to horses that have been plotted up for it from the word go.

If Minsk really is going to Cheltenham I would totally ignore that run today. He looked nothing like the Minsk who won the Irish Cesarewitch and his owner can hardly be accused of over facing his horses.

My bet is if he turns up he'll be a much better horse than we saw today and take all the beating as this is not a good Triumph by any stretch of the imagination.

I think it was a prep run.

As earlier posted this Triumph is a story of burst bubbles.

As it was his first run and so soon to the big one I will be wary of him

Sounds as if Nicholls is reconsidering the Fred Winter plan for Hinterland after Dildar disappointed. Sounds as if both Dildar and Doging Bullets will miss Cheltenham leaving him with Pearl Swan and Ranjaan in the Triumph, with Hinterland's target still undecided. Personally, I think he is worthy of a place in the Triumph and it would be a shame if he was rerouted to the Fred Winter.

I can see both him and Hollow Tree outrunning their odds because both will stay and jump, and appreciate the strong pace to run at.

I think you are right, Harry. I was looking forward to seeing him run but despite the heavy ground, I was disappointed. We are merely 2 weeks away and the Triumph is a tough race where they have to jump and travel. Even on better ground, he has some work to do. Its a tough ask so close to the race. He has ability but his jumping will need to be slick.

I am leaning towards Pearl Swan personally.

I refer everybody to the second post in the thread. A sign of madness. If you come on here next year with the same shite about a Triumph hotpot next year, OtB...you're cruising for a bruising.

That said, I have seen worse bets than Minsk at 16/1 for the Triumph. :eek:

Why was everyone expecting to see Minsk win by a street today? First run over hurdles in a grade 2 against two hardened campaigners? It was not a bad performace at all, but did you expect him to win a grade 2 on the bridle just because he is rated 100 on the flat? We all know national hunt racing doesn't always work like that.

Anyway, I'm favouring a place on Hisabaat myself.

Why was everyone expecting to see Minsk win by a street today?

Because he was as short as 9/2 in places for the Triumph Hurdle.

The expectations might have been unrealistic but his performance has to go down as a disappointment given the 'hype'.

The expectations might have been unrealistic but his performance has to go down as a disappointment given the 'hype'.

And now after a nice prep, he's a well backable price for whoever wants to bet him?

And now after a nice prep, he's a well backable price for whoever wants to bet him?

Quite possibly. Certainly now more realistic.

I couldn't back him though because he's still shorter than others with superior hurdles form. To a certain extent the hype element is still there as in if he hadn't been a 'name' pre race today then he wouldn't even be quoted for the Triumph.

I didn't realise he was that short for the Triumph. I laid him today just because he was a horribly short price on his first run against some decent standard bearers. I don't think his hurdling is good enough for a triumph. He was good for the first three, then sketchy and not great at the last two. That won't do in a triumph.

When the noises come out of Ireland about a horse it's pretty much 100% spot on.

The British Trainers have a habit of over hyping their horses for example; Inler, Crack Away Jack, Rainbow View, Doctor Freemantle, Somersby et al.

Only money you should take seriously is the Irish as they're not far wrong with 9 times out of 10 their horses will live up to the reputation.

Minsk will find another 20 lengths improvement on today that's for sure & people writing him off will look like idiots in March - probably the same people who went against Frankel and Sea The Stars throughout their careers, finding angles when there wasn't any.

no mention of Grumeti here? His hurdling was excellent today and he had plenty in hand. wouldnt want to readily oppose him at all

Looks the likeliest winner. Didn't like the way Baby Mix jumped today. It's not a race I normally get involved in but might have a small ew on the day on Urbain de Sivola.

Minsk will find another 20 lengths improvement on today that's for sure & people writing him off will look like idiots in March - probably the same people who went against Frankel and Sea The Stars throughout their careers, finding angles when there wasn't any.

....or, erm, Big Bucks?

Agree about Baby Mix. Its always a tough race and you want a gutsy good jumper on your side. I dont know the stats but i like to be behind a horse taht has a little experience too

I refer everybody to the second post in the thread. A sign of madness. If you come on here next year with the same shite about a Triumph hotpot next year, OtB...you're cruising for a bruising.

That said, I have seen worse bets than Minsk at 16/1 for the Triumph. :eek:

The Champion Bumper will be my hype project for next year.... Have been putting in the hours on the PtP scene, reviewing all the sales catalogues and the French Provincial racing.... Have it narrowed down to ten already...:ninja:

Former JCB Triumph Hurdle favourite Minsk will miss Cheltenham after he was found to have an infection when beaten on his jumping debut at Naas on Saturday.

As a result, trainer Dessie Hughes and owner Barry Connell have decided to pull the plug on Minsk's hurdling programme for this season.

The four-year-old will probably not run again until towards the end of the Flat season, when he will return to the John Oxx stable, for whom he won the Irish Cesarewitch in impressive fashion last autumn.

The four-year-old will then go back to Hughes to resume his career as a novice over hurdles.

"He was a bit disappointing so we had him scoped when we got home and found he has an inflamed throat. It's the start of an infection," said Hughes. His lungs were clean, but he's starting to get a cold and the vet said there's no way he could finish the race with that.

"We had scoped him on Wednesday after work and he scoped clean. It's a tough old game. He can't go to Cheltenham now. He has to go on antibiotics and it will take a good two weeks to clear it up. There's no way he can get to the Triumph Hurdle, unfortunately. I'd say we'd leave him now and keep him as a novice for next season.

"I'd say he'd go back and run on the Flat in the autumn in a couple of races and then go hurdling. The owner has made up his mind and that makes sense to me."

Minsk had been at the top of the Triumph betting at around 6-1 before he had jumped a hurdle in public on the strength of his good Flat form and reports of his excellent schooling at home.

However, he was surprisingly beaten on his eagerly-awaited debut, albeit by a neck, by Burrenbridge Lodge. But Hughes felt Minsk would have won had he jumped the final flight cleaner despite being under the weather.

"If he'd have jumped the last quicker on Saturday he'd probably have won anyway," the County Kildare-based handler added.

How would you find out how much was traded on a horse on the ante-post betfair market up to a point in time.....say last Saturday. Conspiracy theory and pocket talk alert but all was not right with Minsk I am told from Wednesday of last week on. :mad:

Back