US Presidential election 2016

The question now for Warbler (someone who does try to predict things) is on the Romney road map, what states can Trump win that Romney couldn't?

Will get back to you later, but just for info, Cruz is making a big announcement 4.00 eastern (9.00 our time). It isn't Spence's endorsement for Indiana.

My best guess given what he's let slip last week, and some silly stunt he tried in his speech last night, that he's bringing his VP announcement forward and that its a former CEO of Hewlett Packard who halved the companies share price and got fired by her board

Last edited:
Warbler, I know we've been here before but should Ben Carson really be 16/1 for the VP slot? He adds nothing to the ticket but should he be double the price of Rubio and five times the price of Kasich when neither is likely to risk their political future going near a toxic Trump ticket? Should we read anything into Christie always being directly behind Trump during the speeches? I just know this market is priced wrong, it's a matter of working out where.

Last edited:
There's a lot of non runners in that market

We believe from things that seep out from the 'Trump machine' (yes I'm being sarcastic, its about 12 people strong) that one of the few people he takes calls from and listens to is Jeff Sessions.

I also note that Rick Scott has spoken up today about ending the #nevertrump group and calling on them to stop etc Scott brings Florida

I'm pretty certain given his background, that Christie is lining up the Attorney Generals job. He doesn't bring anything to the ticket. Trump won't win New Jersey in a gneral election, and Christie would struggle to win the governorship again were he standing anyway he''s become very unpopular. A New Yorker and a VP from just across the Hudson won't work

Kasich remains an enigma in all this. He could deliver Ohio, and Trump has notably been light on him for months compared to the others. I know people are speculating that he's lining himself up for 2020, but I'm not totally convinced this need be a barrier. We simply don't know.

Trump has said he wants a politician on the ticket, and that makes sense. He's got absolutely no meaningful experience of navigating the corridors of congress. Carson would be lost. He needs someone who can operate for him too

Thinking about it..... I think there might be a few clues that Rubio is in the frame. It makes a lot of sense if you read the mood music. He's sending out very similar signals in his last press release about Cruz/ Kasich same sex marriage, as he did about Ben Carson in that rambling Florida speech about 10 days before he unveiled him. He name checked Rubio favourably alongside Kasich in the latest PR. Rubio potentially pushes Clinton into selecting Julian Castro too. It would also be an olive branch that allows him to present the picture of party unifier. To win this election, Trump needs the GOP finance and machinery behind him. He's demonstrated that he lacks the organisation to do this himself, and his reluctance to spend money is starting to look more like confirmation of the oft held view he doesn't have anything like the amount liquid that he claims to have. Rubio is the establishment guy and what better way to send that signal and get the machine on side. That's before you factor into the equation that they likely win Florida on the back off it, plus and repair to the damage that Trump has caused the hispanic vote (Rubio is Cuban though rather than Mexican) so it needn't be as much as we think

Last edited:
Didn't Rubio get out of the race early as damage limitation? It would seem a strange move for him now.

His political options are limited. He's lost his senate seat, and he can't run for Governor in the immediate future. I think people summise that he exited early to avoid further damage based on Kasich's continuing, but if he really wanted to avoid damage he'd have gotten out before Florida as the writing was pretty well on the wall after March 8th

Basically Rubio is a bit out of options right now. He might become a media commentator, but the chances of getting back onto the big stage once you've taken this step down to the entertainment industry is slim. Otherwise he becomes a DC lobbyist. If he runs on Trumps ticket he'll at least stay in the spotlight and has the chance to out shine the candidate (he'll get his book deal if they lose!). I'm not sure how damaging a losing VP is provided the candidate is deemed to have done well. Those who are deemed to have done badly are political toast, but some can make comebacks. In fairness though, most losing VP's are pretty anonymous to the campaign and slip away

I think Rubio is possibly a more likely choice than Kasich right now (and I picked Kasich out sometime round January)

Last edited:
Of the outsiders, I've got it down to Jeff Sessions, Rick Scott, and Suzanna Martinez

Kasich makes the most arithmetic sense, as I think he will deliver Ohio and I'm sure that has to weigh on his thinking if he could persuade him onto the gig.

Trump is surprisingly popular in Florida himself (spends a lot of time and invests money there) lets not overlook he beat a former Governor and sitting Senator there (OK Jeb never got to Florida, but Trump was beating him up badly in the state polls prior to him dropping). He can count on Rick Scotts support anyway, so will probably back a combination of all these to take Florida himself, but if he wanted to secure it, Rubio would probably guarantee it.

Martinez might help placate the female vote a bit, the hispanic vote, and would probably flip New Mexico for him

I'm increasingly thinking Sessions is a backroom advisor. He delivers Alabama and the deep red states, but any Republican doing the 270 maths has to count these anyway. Trump needs someone who can appeal to a new demographic and Sessions doesn't fit that description

I'd try something different if I were Trump and start announcing a team in advance of November, (as we do in the UK)

If you want a market to investigate (if it exists) it might be worth lookign at the spreads or under/ overs if we're talkign America for the Libertarian party. There's been a lot of Bernie supporters, and the #Nevertrump brigade threatening not to support the party candidate. I'd be pretty confident that a vast amjority of this is hot air from sore losers, and once the tribal partisan loyalties kick and the two polarising candidates start to focus people's minds on November, a lot this will evaporate. I've no idea what the spread is, but wouldn't mind betting its wrong. You always have the outside possibility of course of Trump using the Libertarian party to run third party as they'll have their names on the ballots, and he won't be able to organise in time to do so if they do deny him at the convention.

Last edited:
I'd imagine a lot of the unfavourables include Republican voting Trump supporters though. It needn't be a great proxy for voting intent at this stage. Trump's been calling them "rigged" for a month now ever since he screwed up in Colorado. He appears to have cocked his slate up in West Virginia too. The man is really badly organised. Sadly he micro manages everything (he's not the delegator he claims to be - very often managers who say they're delegators aren't). Basically he's failed to understand (despite being warned time and time again) some of the state by state mechanics, when he loses he then cries foul

The question now for Warbler (someone who does try to predict things) is on the Romney road map, what states can Trump win that Romney couldn't?

OK back to this. There's no point going over the ground as to why Trump can't win, it's been widely covered and much of the reasoning behind it stacks up. There are some things in his favour however which need showing respect. The same people who say he can't win have been saying it since July. Many of them didn't even see him getting Christmas. They've been wrong throughout this process so far.

His net unfavourables are often trotted out. It's worth remembering that Hillary Clinton also has a net unfavourable too. I've got a hunch that this parameter is concealing an important dynamic though, and that concerns the depth of the unfavourability. John Kasich is the most favourable of the Republican candidates, but its a kind of 'nice', or tepid favourability he's generating. This sort of approval needn't translate into a vote. It's more symptomatic of "yeah, he's OK". As the campaigns intensify and traditonal partisan lines start to re-emerge (and they will given the divisive characters involved) being "OK" isn't the sort of depth that will swing a Democrat into voting Republican. This is where I think Trump stands a chance. It doesn't matter if he continues to alienate even further, 90% of the people who don't intend voting for him anyway (its the old Thatcher maths to some extent). You can afford to seriously **** them off with your messaging, but if its packaged in such a way that you pick up 3-4% of swing voters the chances are you're going very close. There will be Democrats attracted to Trumps simple messaging and scapegoating. In other words you'd rather have 5% of Democrats seriously considering voting for you, then 30% mildly thinking favourably of you.

The glaring gap that Trump needs to address though is the gender imbalance. In truth it's a section that can possibly be broken down into single and married women, as there's a substantial difference. It's always possible that with a messaged campaign he can reach married women through their husbands (married women aren't proving as difficult as young single women), but he's got a major fault line here which is much more terminal I think than the other gaps. Women historically vote Democrat, and are likely to do so again. Trump needs to find a way of getting his support to about 40% with them

I think Trump might have more scope with young people than is often imagined. Young people are the bedroock of Bernie Sanders support. They really don't embrace Hillary Clinton. Some of Trump's messaging isn't too far removed from Sanders. For instance there's the pull back from neo con international intervention (unless directly attacked or threatened). There the rich people should pay more tax (chimes with the anti Wall Street sentiment). There's the jobs/ protectionist agenda which is otherwise pushing young people into low skilled, and poorly paied employment. If he could meet them just half way with an education reform that reduced their burden he could start to make inroads here

So lets got to the Romney map, but before we do, it's worth remembering that Romney lost by just 3.9%. A 2% swing is enough to give Trump a plurality. The base isn't as low as people think. The thing about 2012 was that Romney lost in all the wrong places, and where he won, he won much bigger than he needed to. The result in the electoral college flattered Obama given how close it was. Just about the only swing state that didn't go the Presidents was North Carolina. Every other toss up state he won. Trump is going to have to massively improve his organisation and own strategic understanding of the battleground though to avoid making the same mistakes as Romney, but with a focused campaign in just six states, (many of which are manageable geographically) its possible

Which ever way you look at it, Trumps path to a win starts in Florida. Without the sunshine state he can't win (nor can any Republican). Obama (a popular incumbent) took it in 2012 against a Mormon and Massachusetts Governor by 0.88%. Trump has already defeated a sitting Senator, would have beaten a former state Governor, and has his own base in the state. It's one of the few states he does have a ground game in, and effectively works as a second home state for him given that he lives there and has invested money in Florida. The state isn't averse to a bit of dirty trickety either, and in Rick Scott he has a supportive Governor. I still think there might be a role for Rubio yet, and have noted the amount of dog whistling going on between the two. Rubio hasn't endorsed Cruz, and his most recent interview to the local Tampa newspaper seemed conciliatory. If Rubio campaigns for Trump in Florida, Hillary will have her work cut. Miami won't be enough. 303 Dem v 235 Rep

After Florida the consensus seems to be that the path leads through the rust belt. I'm not totally convinced its as fertile territory as the demographics and socio economic trends suggest it should be, but I do believe there are some possibilities, but laid off by a few others where his prospects might not be as good as people suggest

One of the more interesting ones is Iowa, given that its a blue state trending red (not many of them). Hillary Clinton's never really been particularly popular there either. I'm not sure that Trump is a natural fit for them, but in amongst his eleventh hour (and somewhat controversial defeat to Cruz in the caucus) it's perhaps easy to overlook that he recorded the second highest vote in their history having made a complete mess of his ground game (again)

297 Dem v 241 Rep

Not for the first time Ohio becomes crucial and a lot will depend on how John Kasich behaves. I suspect that with Trump needing a swing of just 1.5% to take the state, Kasich can deliver it for him if he's a VP or agrees to take a high profile position in the administration. I think Trump has to try and make this deal with Kasich (more so than with Rubio in Florida which he'd stand a good chance of taking without Lil Marco). Trump keeps telling everyone he's the arch deal maker. Well if he can nail this one (and he's spared Kasich the abuse he's showered on others) then things start to close up

Dem 279 v Rep 259

Now I'll turn to some of the states I don't think he'll get. Virginia the more I explore the more I think Hillary defends it, quite probably with an increase on Obama's margin (and she possibly has Tim Kaine to seal it for her yet). I don't believe he'll get any traction in the western targets of New Mexico, Colorado, or Nevada (not even sure he'll waste his jet fuel trying!). These will go deeper blue, but they're potentially part of the strategy. You can afford to lose them heavily if your rhetoric works in the upper mid west. In other words, **** off the Mexicans in these states and lose them by 10% more than you otherwise would in order to gain 5% white males in the east

So Trump needs to find new territory. Flipping Pennsylvania would actually give him the White House (its become this close now with FL, OH and IA). I think it's still trending Democrat, but Hillary with her energy policies (anti coal), and advocacy of free trade (steel) needn't be the best fit for the state. In truth I think there's enough evidence from the primaries to suggest Hillary hangs on. Bernie Sanders was on a free trade agenda and won Michigan with it against expectation. When they replayed the fixture in Pennsylvania Hillary not only won, but she took places like Pittsburgh, and Allentown (Philadelphia was always safe) so perhaps the sentiment isn't running through PA to same extent. Maybe 20 years the steel/ save our heavy industry vote might have had something running for it, but the impact of globalisation has to some extent been and gone. Today Pittsburg probably moves more to the tune of Tech then it does blast furnaces.

The impact on Michigan however is more contemporary and its this which might bring it into play. Trump might get a small bounce through Ben Carson in Michigan (far from convinced myself, but it could be worth a percentage point). Certainly the motor trade has suffered (perhaps where steel was when Bush won Pennsylvania) but there's also been a degree of white flight out of Michigan, which won't help Trump

Trump has made some outrageous, bordering on deluded statements about states he thinks he can take. I don't think he stands a chance in New York, New Jersey or Massacheusetts, I would give him a chance in Michigan though, albeit he's going to be on the edge of the 5% swing he might be able to generate in a state that is particularly receptive to his messaging. I'd be a little bit more persuaded had Trump stormed the state though. He won it true, but he didn't hit the high 40's he'd be needing. OK Rubio was still in the field back then, but I still think Trump would need to be 45%+. Michigan I'll put it on a 'possible' list though, as winning it in conjunction with the three states already mentioned, would give him the Presidency

Another state that falls into this category might be Wisconsin (strictly speaking it becomes a 269 each draw - which I think the Republican speaker then settles with a casting vote?). Wisconsin is a strange one. If you look at Nate Silver's model based on ethnicity and qualifications, Wisconsin is one of the easiest blue states to turn red. Yet Trump lost the primary there to Cruz. It could be that the 538 model is badly flawed. It might be that gender becomes the more decisive parameter, but Wisconsin does contain a lot of active white male voters without college educations, (Trump's stock voter). He faces opposition from a mobilised #never campaign, as well as a bevvy of aggresive right wing talk radio hosts. Contrast this to Indiana's shock jocks who are either softly supportive or at worst neutral. The impact that local, vocal opposition has had could be significant for two states that aren't massively dissimilar at prima facie. In Wisconsin he hit mid 30's (admittedly a position that deteriorated with a 2 week run of bad news stories). In Indiana he's polling mid 40's.

What about red states turning blue? Well there's evidence that Arizona, and Utah might be vulnerable, and it's long been held that Georgia could wobble as the first of the southern firewall to break. I would want to see more evidence from Arizona first other than a few protest polls. Utah he needs to worry about. Mormons think Trump is the anti christ, but he can probably survive a no show. The danger comes from them voting for Hillary. Will they? probably not by November. Only 250,000 Utah people (whatever their collective noun is) voted for Obama. Repeating his own caucus vote of just 14% puts him just over 100,000 on a big Republican base. If we say that the Kasich support joins him, he's already within 20,000.

Georgia might start going Democrat in the future, but its probably not ready yet. I'd expect him to face his biggest hurdle in North Carolina which Hillary might be looking to flip and this should prove his toughest 'hold'

New Hampshire is a state that Trump might harbour legitimate claims for. Pat Buchannan polled well there, and Trump stormed the primary. There's clearly a little of a latent issue working there which we might normally associate with the Dixiecrats. With just 4 college votes though it won't make any difference, though could help buffer somewhere like Utah a bit

So basically its this I reckon

hold the Romney map, then
win - Florida, Ohio and Iowa
then win one from - Pennsylvania, Michigan, or Wisconsin. I don't see him getting Virginia or Minnesota, but either of them with the three above would be enough too if he holds the Romney map

Last edited:
Some more interesting numbers to play with from a PPP poll released in the last few hours for Ohio

Clinton +3 verus Trump

In the first case for a notoriously poor campaigner like Hillary Clinton, +3 isn't a great margin to hold at this stage about a blue state. Obama won it with +2.98, and there is a lot more scope in the upside for Trump than Romney enjoyed

But then introduce Kasich to the equation

Clinton -2 versus Kasich

No surprise that Gov Kasich beats Hillary Clinton in Ohio, but it does seem to suggest that Trump should be favourite for the state if John Kasich can be brought into the fold. We're also Ted Cruz starting to get a harder time off the media at last, and other polls out this evening are showing Trump with a double digit lead in Indiana now (he holds one in Oregon too which surprised me)

This could be over in 36 hours time. Cruz's same sex marriage with Kasich has been badly recieved, and as for a calling a basketball hoop a "ring" - oh dear Ted, big no, no in Indiana

And in a new poll by Survey USA (one of America's best, if the best pollster, according 538) Trump 57% Cruz 20% and Kasich 14% in California has just been released. This kind of margin would give Trump all 172 delegates in the Golden State. This is the first time that we've really seen 'momentum' take a grip. It could be that America's Republicans are finally reconciling themselves to the inevitability of the result and the damage that a contested convention would cause, and have decided to end it?

It's also symptomatic of something else in the Trump campaign - good fortune - just after he appeared to be wobbling in thw wake of Wisconsin he was served up a platter of particularly 'good' states in the N/E. Cruz hasn't recovered, and the Kasich pact, and Fiorina hail Mary have backfired. There is a theory doing the rounds however (after Cruz explicitly failed to pledge support to Trump should he win the nomination) that Cruz might run as a conservative on the constitution party's ticket. He's kept his campaign office structure in tact rather than close it down in states that have voted, and in Fiorina, has of course picked a running mate who could be considered an outsider and someone who might be prepared to join him on this mission, rather than a career politician who might have other aspirations and will need GOP support to achieve them - we'll see

Last edited:
The end is near for the GOP. After tonite Trump will win the nomination and get whacked in the general.

The Washingtonpost has laid out the electoral map quite succinctly in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nothing-to-do-with-donald-trump/?tid=pm_pop_b.

While the author rightly points out that Trump is not all to blame for this, his massive unfavorability factored in will see to an almost assured defeat. There just are not enough states to swing in favor of Trump at this point.

So the only question left for betting purposes imo is what is the final electoral vote count going to look like. I suppose there won't be any markets for that till after the conventions. At least I have not found any.

The end is near for the GOP. After tonite Trump will win the nomination and get whacked in the general.

The Washingtonpost has laid out the electoral map quite succinctly in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nothing-to-do-with-donald-trump/?tid=pm_pop_b.

While the author rightly points out that Trump is not all to blame for this, his massive unfavorability factored in will see to an almost assured defeat. There just are not enough states to swing in favor of Trump at this point.

So the only question left for betting purposes imo is what is the final electoral vote count going to look like. I suppose there won't be any markets for that till after the conventions. At least I have not found any.

Trump has just given a hugely humble victory speech. The anti establishment vote is not to be underestimated. Talk of a land side is very premature.

Trump has just given a hugely humble victory speech. The anti establishment vote is not to be underestimated. Talk of a land side is very premature.

Absolutely - I'm getting the feeling that this could be a protest year - and the likely opponent adds weight to that as she is not well-liked either.

Completely agree !
I would be very loath to call the forthcoming head-to-head a landslide for Clinton by any stretch.

What is fairly certain is that the contest will be one the dirtiest no-holds-barred campaigns ever. And we know that Trump is a natural born bareknuckle sort; that he will revel in a slugfest. His populist style will benefit him. And I can see Hillary being on the defensive; there are quite a few issues she can be attacked on and where she is vulnerable -- the Wall Street connections, Beghazi, the hacked emails, etc.

Not over by a long shot by any means.

Geez Louise what did we expect. Trump is many things, humble is not one of them, just one big act. "Cruz has an amazing future" to quote one of his more stellar lines is just pure bullshit. He could care less about lyin' Ted.
The data simply does not support Trump. Protest voters for Trump are not remotely close to any sort of majority. Republicans are already defecting and there will be many that won't vote for him

The general election will no doubt be a no holds barred free for all and all that is ugly and ignorant about Trump much of which has been on display and more that will come out is going to come into play big time.

Clinton is far from popular but she has been steeled running the gauntlet of Republican; talk radio and Fox News opposition for decades, she'll be able to handle Trump.

I'm really looking forward to watching this play out and the spin Trump and his lapdogs are going to put out there when it all goes horribly wrong for their man.

Trump is one of the few people I admire. He from nothing built an empire. He loves his country for real and will become President .
.betting wise 8/1 to 5/2 us realist saw it coming. Horse face Hillary is hated but has a great propagand machine going for her....a machine Trump will not smash but obliterate....the rest guys is rock n roll....disagree? Tell it to someone who cares...its a no brainer Trump will be president

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Geez Louise what did we expect. Trump is many things, humble is not one of them, just one big act. "Cruz has an amazing future" to quote one of his more stellar lines is just pure bullshit. He could care less about lyin' Ted.

I suspect he has it at the back of his mind that Cruz might hijack the Constitution Party and run off their platform, and he wants to draw that sting. I thought his best line incidentally was "I don't know if Ted Cruz likes me or not" ! - I can only assume he didn't listen to what Cruz had said a few hours earlier. I'm sure the humility is one big act too (of course it is) but acting is what politicians do. I wouldn't look to the politician though, I'd be more inclined to look into the supplyside if you want the answer as to how this will play out. When a politician starts messaging that the voters are "smart" (as Trump did last night) then in most cases they're in the process of sticking them away. It's not Trump that necessarily scares me (although he does) its the US voter. The result will come down to half a dozen states really

The data simply does not support Trump. Protest voters for Trump are not remotely close to any sort of majority. Republicans are already defecting and there will be many that won't vote for him

The data has never supported Trump. So why is he here? He had a ceiling of 20% didn't he, then it was 25%, that it became 30%, Ooops perhaps it might 40% after all, oh look, its 50% all of a sudden. There's an amazing amount of self-regarding complacency in the Democrat commetariart at the moment. In fairness there has been since July. All the political commentators (with very few exceptions) variously called Trump a "joke" a "clown" a "buffoon". All of them were predicting he'd be out the race by Christmas. Only Bill O'Reilly and Joe Scarborough were really noting that there might be more to this run. So why should anyone be reassured now when the same people who've so far got it so spectacularly wrong (and they really have), are telling us once again that Hillary has a cakewalk? - actually, I suppose I ought to acknowledge that fruitbat Ann Coulter too, as she's been vindicated as well

Trump actually has quite a lot of scope to improve holding so many downsides as he does. It's worth remembering that a few months ago Republicans were indicating that about 30% wouldn't vote for Trump. That figues is down to 20% now. Same on the Democrat side, they have a hard core of #Bernieorbust. I'm not putting that much stock in emotional responses to market research questions in May to be honest though. Lets see if its still 20% in October. So far as I can see the greater shift of opinion isn't one of defection, but rather one of coelescence. Priebus has pretty well anointed Trump now. This will be the first time he could actually have a well resourced and funded machinary behind him (still nothing on the scale that Hillary has mind you). We'll start seeing other sentators, governors and party dignatories joining in. John Huntsman already has. Some will vote Hillary, so will vote for Gary Johnson, some will stay at home or 'write in' but it won't be 20%

The general election will no doubt be a no holds barred free for all and all that is ugly and ignorant about Trump much of which has been on display and more that will come out is going to come into play big time.

Trumps biggest asset is his ability to win these one on one match ups. Hillary isn't a great campaigner. In fact she's pretty poor. Trump has stuck a field of 17 away. She still hasn't seen off Bernie Sanders, despite predictions that it would be over by super Tuesday. OK, Trump might need to actually revise and learn the issues for the debates, as he won't be allowed 30 sec abusive soundbites, but if he does he's going to give her a harder time than many people imagine because he's going to campaign on nebulous sentiment and paint pictures of brighter upper pastures etc. Hillary has said she isn't going to be sucked down to his level and will rise above his tactics. It's the same approach Michael Dukakis used, as indeed John kerry also attempted

Clinton is far from popular but she has been steeled running the gauntlet of Republican; talk radio and Fox News opposition for decades, she'll be able to handle Trump.

Clinton has negative approval ratings too as you point out. Trump was already dog-whistling Bernie's supporters last night with his commitment to infrastructure projects. Indeed, he almost recited Bernie's speech verbatim. His policy of making rich people pay more tax (including him) will also play out well amongst the anti Wall Street young person. She's really struggling with this demographic. She's the establishment candidate that your parents vote for etc. If Trump can start eating into this group, and then she could have problem, and tagging Julian Castro or Corey Booker onto the ticket won't necessarily solve it

Last edited:
Trump is one of the few people I admire. He from nothing built an empire. He loves his country for real and will become President .
.betting wise 8/1 to 5/2 us realist saw it coming. Horse face Hillary is hated but has a great propagand machine going for her....a machine Trump will not smash but obliterate....the rest guys is rock n roll....disagree? Tell it to someone who cares...its a no brainer Trump will be president

Sheesh ten times over. You really should do a bit of research before you spout off the cuff as is your want to do.
Trump hardly started from nothing. He had Papa's millions to tap in to and had to be bailed out by papa on at least one occasion.
His business record will be put under the spotlight in due course.

As for love of country it will always come in second to love of himself, that horrible hair style and the spray can he uses to blast his face with every morning.

Sheesh ten times over. You really should do a bit of research before you spout off the cuff as is your want to do.
Trump hardly started from nothing. He had Papa's millions to tap in to and had to be bailed out by papa on at least one occasion.

I was wondering if anyone would point that out. Trump is not a rags to riches story. Far from it.

I am in a go go bar in Bangkok...so please wait will respon tomorrow...in the meantime dont forget have yo'ur balls in the last at Chester on my good friend ED"s in the last. Ed is mega confident trust me

I suspect he has it at the back of his mind that Cruz might hijack the Constitution Party and run off their platform, and he wants to draw that sting. I thought his best line incidentally was "I don't know if Ted Cruz likes me or not" ! - I can only assume he didn't listen to what Cruz had said a few hours earlier. I'm sure the humility is one big act too (of course it is) but acting is what politicians do. I wouldn't look to the politician though, I'd be more inclined to look into the supplyside if you want the answer as to how this will play out. When a politician starts messaging that the voters are "smart" (as Trump did last night) then in most cases they're in the process of sticking them away. It's not Trump that necessarily scares me (although he does) its the US voter. The result will come down to half a dozen states really

The data has never supported Trump. So why is he here? He had a ceiling of 20% didn't he, then it was 25%, that it became 30%, Ooops perhaps it might 40% after all, oh look, its 50% all of a sudden. There's an amazing amount of self-regarding complacency in the Democrat commetariart at the moment. In fairness there has been since July. All the political commentators (with very few exceptions) variously called Trump a "joke" a "clown" a "buffoon". All of them were predicting he'd be out the race by Christmas. Only Bill O'Reilly and Joe Scarborough were really noting that there might be more to this run. So why should anyone be reassured now when the same people who've so far got it so spectacularly wrong (and they really have), are telling us once again that Hillary has a cakewalk?

Trump actually has quite a lot of scope to improve holding so many downsides as he does. It's worth remembering that a few months ago Republicans were indicating that about 30% wouldn't vote for Trump. That figues is down to 20% now. Same on the Democrat side, they have a hard core of #Bernieorbust. I'm not putting that much stock in emotional responses to market research questions in May to be honest though. Lets see if its still 20% in October. So far as I can see the greater shift of opinion isn't one of defection, but rather one of coelescence. Priebus has pretty well anointed Trump now. This will be the first time he could actually have a well resourced and funded machinary behind him (still nothing on the scale that Hillary has mind you). We'll start seeing other sentators, governors and party dignatories joining in. John Huntsman already has. Some will vote Hillary, so will vote for Gary Johnson, some will stay at home or 'write in' but it won't be 20%

Trumps biggest asset is his ability to win these one on one match ups. Hillary isn't a great campaigner. In fact she's pretty poor. Trump has stuck a field of 17 away. She still hasn't seen off Bernie Sanders, despite predictions that it would be over by super Tuesday. OK, Trump might need to actually revise and learn the issues for the debates, as he won't be allowed 30 sec abusive soundbites, but if he does he's going to give her a harder time than many people imagine because he's going to campaign on nebulous sentiment and paint pictures of brighter upper pastures etc. Hillary has said she isn't going to be sucked down to his level and will rise above his tactics. It's the same approach Michael Dukakis used, as indeed John kerry also attempted

Clinton has negative approval ratings too as you point out. Trump was already dog-whistling Bernie's supporters last night with his commitment to infrastructure projects. Indeed, he almost recited Bernie's speech verbatim. His policy of making rich people pay more tax (including him) will also play out well amongst the anti Wall Street young person. She's really struggling with this demographic. She's the establishment candidate that your parents vote for etc. If Trump can start eating into this group, and then she could have problem, and tagging Julian Castro or Corey Booker onto the ticket won't necessarily solve it

So where do i begin here..

Let's start with your dog whistling of Bernie's supporters. Bernie is going to come into the convention with a lot of clout and there is going to be a meshing of minds and in the end Clinton is going to make the concessions necessary to assure that Bernie and his supporters stay the party course. There is no way Sanders is even remotely interested in being contaminated with anything pertaining to helping Trump. Might there be some residue of supporters that switch to Trump, possible but not consequential. Booker and Castro are not the only viable running mates, Sherrod Brown form Ohio is considered a progressive and the ranking democrat on the Committee for banking and housing. He could be a very attractive candidate for the Sanders faction.

Your idea of comparing a potential Clinton approach to Dukakis and Kerry does not hold up because for one the demographics have been changing. Also the Bushs' were hardly as incendiary as Trump in those campaigns. The other thing being is that Trump simply does not have the time to master the complex themes out there. Women being punished for having abortions. Japan and South Korea arming themselves with nuclear weapons and on and on. This is going to fall back on him at some point. In the one debate that Fox News held where there were very specific, detailed facts laid out Trump turned into a sputtering fountain of nonsense.

As to your point that the data has never supported Trump I disagree. You were the prime proponent of data points and at the time they were being used they were correct. For a while Trump could not crack 30% and then it was 35% and then 40 etc. but he was always in the lead. As the number of candidates dwindled his numbers went up. Makes sense to me as he was pretty much the front runner from the start of the primary season based on delegate count. There has been a new poll released today by CNN which has Hillary at 54% and Trump at 41%. On the economy the only policy issue Trump has lead on it is a 5% margin with a 3,5% m.o.e.. Hardly a rout considering he seems to sell himself as some sort of economic savior. And we have not even started the general election campaigning yet.

As for the percentages on how many people from their own parties might not vote for either Clinton or Trump, well what is clear is, there has been a big time anti Trump campaign from within his own party for a lot of months now. Unsuccessful in stopping his nomination but somehow I do not think these people are going away.The prince of darkness (Dick Cheaney) and one of the Koch brothers have actually come out in separate interviews and stated that Clinton would make a better president. Not to mention Romney and a whole host of others that have made it known they will not be voting for Trump. Probably not the endorsements she was seeking but it does show the great divide that is the Republican party. The Democrats are simply not facing that sort of hostility, the ones saying now they won't vote for her, as you say, are mostly driven by momentary emotional responses. When Trump is staring them in the face and insulting "crooked Hillary" they'll come around.

I'm not as concerned about the US voter as you are because I am one of them (though hardly the template) but I will stick to what I said a few months ago that if Trump does actually get voted in I will renounce my citizenship.

Back