What are you backing Today? - Cheltenham Tuesday

I think Dan Skelton will have a good Festival and like his horse in the Ultima

Alnadam

​Taken the 12-1 each way [five places]

I can see me losing a fortune this year :lol:

I'm already planning a trixie for tomorrow at 33/1, 50/1 and 33/1 (current prices)! I reckon lots of favs will win and I'll end up avoiding them 'cos I don't like favourites.

1.Main fancy for Tuesday is One for the Team in Ultima. I backed it last week at 14s before the race cut up badly.
2.Epatante wins the CH, but I'm intrigued to know what James DB is doing there. but not willing to pay to find out.
3. Allmankind will give Shishkin plenty to think about and will stretch his jumping. I'm going to bet him.
4. Worst SN in memory, hope Appreciate It wins (loose family connection with owners) No bet.
5. Indefatigable likes it here and I think is a cracking ew bet.
6. Going by stable vibes, Busselton in Boodles, no other reason, its a pin stick.
7. Surprised that Next Destination goes here in the 4 Miler (I know) instead of the RSA (I know that too.) I had planned on an exacta for him to be second to MF. I'll stay with him.

In summary: One of the Team, win and I have him in an EW Yankie through the week and I'll combine EPA, ND andBussselton some way or other and an EW single on Indefatigable and a win only on Allmankind.

I’m on the obvious R/FC Soaring Glory-Grumpy Charley in the Supreme (as discussed last night), but I may adopt a watching brief with fewer bets on Day 1. Better ground and no crowds may have an unintended impact; so, it may pay to observe from a distance initially.

Concertista could make or break day 1. Had a max bet and backed her down at various prices AP. Love the fact Townend is on her and not Jacob. That was a concern of mine.

WARNING

10mm of rain overnight.

The official going description
The going at Cheltenham was changed to soft, good to soft in places (from good to soft) on all courses on Monday morning.

View from the course
On Monday morning, clerk of the course Simon Claisse said: "Last night we got significantly more rainfall than any forecast predicted, with 10mm falling rather than a couple, so we've now gone to soft, good to soft in places on all courses.

"Looking to tomorrow, we're going to be a combination of soft and good to soft, but which one of that combination leads depends on what happens in the next 24 hours. It's forecast to be mostly dry."

The last racing to go ahead at Cheltenham was the two-day meeting on December 11 and 12. The track's two meetings since then had to be cancelled – New Year's Day and Trials day on January 30.

What does the forecast say?
Clerk of the course Simon Claisse said: "We're forecast to be mostly dry with the odd light shower and around 9C or 10C for the week. But after last night, we must remind ourselves they are only foreca

I have bet Appreciate for plenty but if he wins all i will achieve is either bring my seaon back to level pegging or have my worst season to date if he loses.

Also laid Jonjos to be unplaced in the sane race.
2 places 2/1..rest of the day I have several doubles trebles and accumalators.

Epatante is in a few of them

Have a decent bet on concersidta mullins in the qmmcc and monkfish...

WARNING

10mm of rain overnight.

The official going description
The going at Cheltenham was changed to soft, good to soft in places (from good to soft) on all courses on Monday morning.

View from the course
On Monday morning, clerk of the course Simon Claisse said: "Last night we got significantly more rainfall than any forecast predicted, with 10mm falling rather than a couple, so we've now gone to soft, good to soft in places on all courses.

"Looking to tomorrow, we're going to be a combination of soft and good to soft, but which one of that combination leads depends on what happens in the next 24 hours. It's forecast to be mostly dry."

The last racing to go ahead at Cheltenham was the two-day meeting on December 11 and 12. The track's two meetings since then had to be cancelled – New Year's Day and Trials day on January 30.

What does the forecast say?
Clerk of the course Simon Claisse said: "We're forecast to be mostly dry with the odd light shower and around 9C or 10C for the week. But after last night, we must remind ourselves they are only foreca

Stays soft Honeysuckle will be dancing in her stable. Hope it dries out for Samcro on Thursday.

1. Already on Ballyadam. May do Grumpy Charley each-way.
2. No bet.
3. Happygolucky
4. Probably now Honeysuckle.
5. No bet.
6. Probably Rivier D’Etel each-way.
7. Remastered.

I'm already planning a trixie for tomorrow at 33/1, 50/1 and 33/1 (current prices)! I reckon lots of favs will win and I'll end up avoiding them 'cos I don't like favourites.

One of these three looks popular already and the 33/1 about The Wolf (Ultima) has gone. The other 33/1 shot, Soldier Of Love (NHC) has shortened in a place or two. The 50/1 shot My Sister Sarah (Mares) is still there. I've felt obliged to commit today rather than wait until tomorrow in case more money comes for any or all of these.

I'll put my rationale on the Longshot Thread.

One of these three looks popular already and the 33/1 about The Wolf (Ultima) has gone. The other 33/1 shot, Soldier Of Love (NHC) has shortened in a place or two. The 50/1 shot My Sister Sarah (Mares) is still there. I've felt obliged to commit today rather than wait until tomorrow in case more money comes for any or all of these.

I'll put my rationale on the Longshot Thread.

I backed Soldier of Love a while back. I wasn't happy to see the stable companion take up the option of this race, less happy about the rain.

Fancy Ok Corral for the Ultima tomorrow. Went off favourite for the 4 miler in 2019 and didn’t stay but Henderson had reservations about that beforehand so maybe JP’s decision. Sure Henderson wanted him to run in the RSA instead if I’m not mistaken? He’s run well from long breaks before so no run since January last year doesn’t bother me. Very lightly raced (fragile) 11 year old but classy on his day, won a listed handicap on last start off top weight and in here off 11st5 so worth a shot at around 16/1.

One For The Team I think is a big danger though and will have a saver on him.

Fancy Ok Corral for the Ultima tomorrow. Went off favourite for the 4 miler in 2019 and didn’t stay but Henderson had reservations about that beforehand so maybe JP’s decision. Sure Henderson wanted him to run in the RSA instead if I’m not mistaken? He’s run well from long breaks before so no run since January last year doesn’t bother me. Very lightly raced (fragile) 11 year old but classy on his day, won a listed handicap on last start off top weight and in here off 11st5 so worth a shot at around 16/1.

One For The Team I think is a big danger though and will have a saver on him.

Might be typical NJH covert comments, but I happened to see some of the Unibet Cheltenham preview (for my sins) and Nicky was very much saying that the Ultima was a Grand National warm up fitness race for OK Corral. He effectively gave him no chance.

Taken with a pinch of salt and all that - but just letting you know.

Might be typical NJH covert comments, but I happened to see some of the Unibet Cheltenham preview (for my sins) and Nicky was very much saying that the Ultima was a Grand National warm up fitness race for OK Corral. He effectively gave him no chance.

Taken with a pinch of salt and all that - but just letting you know.

Didn’t see this so very much appreciated you let me know, cheers :thumbsup:

I see Rory Delargy has selected Grumpy Charley each way too. It took him a while to finally get to Eamon An Cnoic the last day, which was a really good weight carrying performance, so I feel if they cut each others throats from the front going to fast a gallop, maybe Grumpy will be suited by this, and stay on well at the finish to grab a place.

That said, I already did Blue Lord a few days ago, so that's my main hope in the race.

My apologies about foul language on the live chat last night.

It was my pre cheltenham meltdown.

Last edited:
I'll be going easy in the first few races but will back Concertista, Saint Sam and Next Destination in various perms.

I have Appreciate It at 3s in a double with APT from the Savills (11/1) and have topped up since at 9/4. I have Ballyadam, Metier and Blue Lord in various multis

Captain Guinness backed in the Arkle in the w/o Shishkin market at around 8/1 ew.

I've been backing Abacadabras for the CH for a while but after my AP carnage last year when everything placed but nothing won I have started to back my fancies each way (as long as I can get double figures from the turn of the year and 16s in the summer)

Concertista is in a big multi that goes onto Guard des Mesnil.

Saint Sam is in a couple of multis at 10s and 7s

I backed Next Destination for the NHC when prices came out yesterday at 9/2.

Last edited:
Holding vouchers for Goshen, but just the one bet otherwise - Concertista.

Might as well do the Skybet “money back if loses” but not decided what just yet.

Last edited:
I've done Blue Lord 14s with skybet. Money back if it loses.

You've done well getting 14s.

The price is starting to shorten, along with stablemate Appreciate It.

I have to say, my only reasoning on Blue Lord was the potential improvement he could show.

I normally try to back horses with the form in the book for races, that includes on the flat, but I figured the owners must have paid a few quid for him and Willie Mullins second strings can never be fully discounted.

Blue Lord, Goshen, Admirals Secret in the Ultima, and Zoffenien in a wide open boodles are my fancies tomorrow.

Last edited:
Already backed Epatante, though I've had a saver f/c (c15/1) in case Goshen pulls a rabbit out of the hat.
Will probably also bet Saint Sam in the Boodles, who only had a flick down the neck to encourage him, lto.

Last edited:
Back