What are you backing Today? Part 2

York 3.15 - I’ve taken 4/1 Dubai Future to overturn the favourite Dubai Honour. He was quite impressive in the Wolferton and the favourite is coming back from four months off with the ground possibly not in his favour.

I wonder what the plan is. It certainly wasn't today...

Yes with you on Aratus, Barj. Stating the obvious here but even if he was unlucky he still needs to really put in a lifetime best to go close today. Good support all week for him in the betting suggests he might have found the necessary since Royal Ascot. Fingers crossed.

No major surprise if Dark Shift went close again and Ropey Guest surely has good place credentials.

Split into two races and he won the wrong one.

Lot to choose from today.

I'm going with Mishriff in KG. Have to concede there’s emotion in the bet (love the horse) so won’t be full bore.
Aratus 3:00 Ascot I’m not usually drawn to big handicaps, but he was arguably undone by the draw in the Royal Hunt Cup and in the Victoria Cup previously. Bit iffy as to whether he sees out a mile and the 7 fur will suit much better, I think.
On known form Lezoo 1:50 Ascot is miles ahead and something will have be pretty good to come and knock her off the perch.
Oh, and there’s a Sir MP special (debut handicap, lower class, higher distance) this evening at Lingfield 5:08 Arcadian Friend. 5/2 atm down from 6/1 overnight.

Mishriff blew the start and lost about four lengths straight off - glad I wasn’t watching now :)
Aratus drifted out to 12/1 so ew to 6 places turned a penny or two
Lezoo won nicely and worth following for a bit, I think
Arcadian Friend backed down to 11/8 and won as easy as you like. I do like a plot!

Ascot 5.20 - This is another competitive race with a fair few that can be fancied. Bond Chairman looks the percentage call but I’ll probably also back King Of Stars whose jockey takes over for the first time since his last win back in September.

[KOS] Beaten by a proper Goldie job :blink:

I need to hope for better luck at Goodwood.

Mishriff blew the start and lost about four lengths straight off - glad I wasn’t watching now :)
Aratus drifted out to 12/1 so ew to 6 places turned a penny or two
Lezoo won nicely and worth following for a bit, I think
Arcadian Friend backed down to 11/8 and won as easy as you like. I do like a plot!

:thumbsup:

Alflaila 4:05 Ponty - Still sixth with a furlong left in the Henry Cecil, he finished strongly (fastest of all last furlong) to take second behind Mighty Ulysses . A repeat of that should see him home here as the only 3yo in the race. Can be a bit tardy out of the gate, so hope he doesn’t do a Mishriff. 9/4 atm.

That's a really interesting race bar. I'm tempted to have a little on Astro King - his fourth in the Hunt Cup looks ok:
1 Dark Shift - placed in the International
2 Intellogent - placed in Magnet Cup
3 Tempus - won yday off of top weight
4 Astro King
5 Sinjaari - won a big handicap at Sandown at Eclipse meeting
7 Bless Him - won Bunbury, placed in International

Modern News is surely too short at 6/4. I would fear your pick the most but 7 on the machine about AK is a bit too big

Aye, ran on in Hunt Cup and it’s a tough mile at Ponty. Up at this level for first time at 5yo? SirMS knows his onions, though :). It’s a nice little race for a Sunday.

Alflaila 4:05 Ponty - Still sixth with a furlong left in the Henry Cecil, he finished strongly (fastest of all last furlong) to take second behind Mighty Ulysses . A repeat of that should see him home here as the only 3yo in the race. Can be a bit tardy out of the gate, so hope he doesn’t do a Mishriff. 9/4 atm.

Nice one,BJ.:)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7/2!

Hope you didn't let the drift put you off!

Nice one BJ.

That was nice, good pick. On this you could maybe say the below Group 1 3yos at around a mile are better than the older horses.

I think the 3yo wfa is a touch generous at this time of the season. Also worth bearing in mind that Shadwell retained the cream of the crop when they downsized so they must have seen potential.

It depends on the distance. I think the WFA the 3yo's get in the King George and even the Goodwood Cup is fine, but 7f/8f is such a different sort of test - I think they get too much in the Lennox and the Sussex.

Cruise ran quite well (4th/9) in a Class 2 Maiden over 6f at Newmarket earlier this month on her debut and Hannon has put her in a Class 5 over 5f at Windsor 6:00. She is also entered in a couple of Class 2 at Goodwood - 5f and 7f - this week, so what she’s doing here is anyone’s guess. Worth finding out I think. 2/1 atm from 5/2 overnight.

Last edited:
Encourageable 3:45 Redcar - couldn’t get out of a pocket when needed too, but finished pretty well behind down in Class winner. Going up 4lbs after this. Only 11/10 atm but should be odds on.

Back